ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

First British Passport Dilema

A section for posts relating to applications for Naturalisation or Registration as a British Citizen. Naturalisation

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe

deepblue
Newly Registered

First British Passport Dilema

Post by deepblue » Fri Nov 21, 2014 7:52 pm

Guys
I have a dilemma about when to surrender Indian passport and wonder if anyone has suggestions.

I got my naturalisation on 12th Nov 2014 (recently). I am visiting India in Jan 2015 and will be back with 3 weeks to the grace period ending for surrender of Indian passport. This 3 month grace period ends 12th Feb 2015. Now when I apply for my first British Passport I have to send my current Indian passport so how can I surrender as there is no way I would get my first British passport back in 2 weeks?

The only solution is to surrender Indian passport and then apply for my first British passport when I return in last week of Jan 2015. Does anyone know if this is allowed by the British passport office?

Regards & thanks for reading my post.

ouflak1

Re: First British Passport Dilema

Post by ouflak1 » Fri Nov 21, 2014 8:26 pm

deepblue wrote:Guys
I have a dilemma about when to surrender Indian passport and wonder if anyone has suggestions.

I got my naturalisation on 12th Nov 2014 (recently). I am visiting India in Jan 2015 and will be back with 3 weeks to the grace period ending for surrender of Indian passport. This 3 month grace period ends 12th Feb 2015. Now when I apply for my first British Passport I have to send my current Indian passport so how can I surrender as there is no way I would get my first British passport back in 2 weeks?

The only solution is to surrender Indian passport and then apply for my first British passport when I return in last week of Jan 2015. Does anyone know if this is allowed by the British passport office?

Regards & thanks for reading my post.
The three month grace period is only for traveling purposes. You have up to 3 years from the acquisition of foreign citizenship to surrender without incurring any extra fees.