ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Naturalisation Requirements

A section for posts relating to applications for Naturalisation or Registration as a British Citizen. Naturalisation

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe

deepblue
Newly Registered

Naturalisation Requirements

Post by deepblue » Wed Feb 11, 2015 12:56 pm

Guys My wife is applying for naturalisation. I have already naturalised & applied for british passport. She holds an ILR as well but we will apply under the wife of british citizen route. My question is regarding the language requirement. She holds a Bachelors of engineering degree from India. Do we need to get 2 NARIC certificates - first one to state that the degree is equivalent to UK and second one to state the English assessment is equivalent to the level needed by Home Office. I thought it was only 1 certificate needed but have things changed?

fwd079
Diamond Member

Re: Naturalisation Requirements

Post by fwd079 » Wed Feb 11, 2015 1:13 pm

One NARIC is fine. Also if haven't passed she needs to pas Life in the UK test too.
Please click here to assess your situation.
Being British is a state of mind.
Want to maintain timeline of any thread? Click here and grab template.

deepblue
Newly Registered

Post by deepblue » Wed Feb 11, 2015 1:39 pm

are you sure as I am confused - the form actually states that she needs both -

[i][color=#4000FF]"must have obtained an academic qualification deemed by UK NARIC to meet the recognised standard of a Bachelor’s or Master’s degree or PhD in the United Kingdom and (i) UK NARIC has confirmed that the qualification was taught or researched in English"
[/color][/i]

which is the one NARIC certificate she needs as NARIC do both certificates - degree equivalent & degree taught inEnglish?

Also she has passed her LIFE In UK TEST FOR ILR in 2010. So she does not need to take it again.

[quote="fwd079"]One NARIC is fine. Also if haven't passed she needs to pas Life in the UK test too.
Please [url=https://www.gov.uk/government/publicati ... uage-tests]click here[/url] to assess your situation.[/quote]

fwd079
Diamond Member

Post by fwd079 » Wed Feb 11, 2015 1:47 pm

I do apologise.

You can however, provide a printout from completing the Points calculator instead, which must show the degree is awarded 10 points in English.

deepblue
Newly Registered

Post by deepblue » Wed Feb 11, 2015 1:55 pm

This is where it gets tricky. In the PBS calculator there is no option to select a Bachelors of Engineering degree!! what do you suggest??

It is incredibly arrogant of HO to keep asking people to prove they can talk in English when most are professionals and earning twice or thrice the UK national wage.
fwd079 wrote:I do apologise.

You can however, provide a printout from completing the Points calculator instead, which must show the degree is awarded 10 points in English.

fwd079
Diamond Member

Post by fwd079 » Wed Feb 11, 2015 2:00 pm

deepblue wrote:This is where it gets tricky. In the PBS calculator there is no option to select a Bachelors of Engineering degree!! what do you suggest??
Interesting, I haven't got much experience with PBS online calculator as it came after my route.

Personally in that case it is quite possible that degree is not recognised anymore. I would suggest to look at this link and pick the easiest/cheapest English course and take the test, just to keep things simple and safe.