ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Best London Town Hall for Citizenship ceremony:

A section for posts relating to applications for Naturalisation or Registration as a British Citizen. Naturalisation

Moderators: Casa, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny

RedMoon

Best London Town Hall for Citizenship ceremony:

Post by RedMoon » Mon Mar 09, 2015 10:38 pm

Hi all,

This might sound to you like a trivial question but for me a citizenship ceremony is a big deal and I would like to celebrate it in the nicest town hall in London. I would like for my family to celebrate with me and take photos of the occassion.

Form AN gives the choice of the venue.

Could you tell me what would be nice looking (both outside and inside) traditional town hall buildings in London?

I thought that City of Westminster would be a no-brainer, but it turned out that the ceremonies take place in a horrible rectangular building without much history to it.

Big thanks

fwd079
Diamond Member
United Kingdom

Re: Best London Town Hall for Citizenship ceremony:

Post by fwd079 » Tue Mar 10, 2015 12:34 pm

Very interesting thing indeed, personal experience and other observations tell me most councils and counties use the same "rectangular" shaped hall to register both marriages and citizenships, I doubt there is any different but then I am not a Londoner. Good luck finding one.
Being British is a state of mind.
Want to maintain timeline of any thread? Click here and grab template.

zeusmagnanimous

Post by zeusmagnanimous » Tue Mar 10, 2015 3:06 pm

Most ceremonies take place inside the town hall itself - which town hall in london do you like? take a pick.
Don't you think you are gettting carried away a bit? :)

RedMoon

Post by RedMoon » Tue Mar 10, 2015 4:40 pm

I think that all ceremonies take their place inside, otherwise it would be a bit of an open air event which in the UK is risky as you never know with the weather :)

"which town hall in london do you like? take a pick" - that's what I am asking people to share their experiences of. As the building might look good from outside but inside is say horrible 60s decor (like Kensington Town Hall which defo needs a refurb) -admittedly horribly brutalist from the outside as well.

I don't have experiece with getting inside town halls where other people might (marriage etc) hece my question. Maybe some Town Halls are so nice that they are wedding venues as well and someone been there done that (i.e. had a wedding there :) -I'm asking along those lines.

I don't think I got carried away: why attend such a ceremony in a bad venue if I can ask people for help and put on an AN form that I will be willing to "take the underground couple of stops further" to a good venue.

CR001
Mood:
South Africa

Post by CR001 » Tue Mar 10, 2015 5:07 pm

@redmoon - which council area are you resident?

I understand that it is a big deal, but also venue wise not really a big deal. The ceremony is not a day long affair, it is 45 mins to 1 hour (depending on how many people attend in the group) and usually held in the council chambers, which is normally quite elaborate compared to the normal council offices.
Char (CR001 not Casa)
In life you cannot press the Backspace button!!
Please DO NOT send me a PM for immigration advice. I reserve the right to ignore the PM and not respond.

RedMoon

Post by RedMoon » Tue Mar 10, 2015 5:13 pm

I live in London Docklands so my one is dreadful Tower Hamlets, I want to avoid this one and find sth much better.

CR001
Mood:
South Africa

Post by CR001 » Tue Mar 10, 2015 5:17 pm

I have just googled Tower Hamlets Citizenship Ceremony, google link below. Have a look at the video on the page. Nice venue, about what most of them probably look like.

https://www.google.co.uk/?gws_rd=ssl#q= ... p+ceremony

And if you choose images on the google tab, it gives you some lovely photos.
Char (CR001 not Casa)
In life you cannot press the Backspace button!!
Please DO NOT send me a PM for immigration advice. I reserve the right to ignore the PM and not respond.