ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Naturalisation in December 2015 – IELTS

A section for posts relating to applications for Naturalisation or Registration as a British Citizen. Naturalisation

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe

Tier 4
- thin ice -

Naturalisation in December 2015 – IELTS

Post by Tier 4 » Wed Jul 22, 2015 11:16 pm

I am bit confuse about changes in language requirements for Naturalisation.

I am applying British citizenship (naturalisation) in Dec 2015,
I have IELTS (GT) taken in June 2014 in Glasgow centre with 7 Bands overall. (I used it for my ILR too)

Should that be alright meeting the Language requirements for Naturalisation?
N/A

noajthan

Re: Naturalisation in December 2015 – IELTS

Post by noajthan » Thu Jul 23, 2015 7:34 am

Tier 4 wrote:I am bit confuse about changes in language requirements for Naturalisation.

I have IELTS (GT) taken in June 2014 in Glasgow centre with 7 Bands overall. (I used it for my ILR too)

IELTS is one qualification on the new list of approved tests but note that the Glasgow centre is not on the list:
https://www.gov.uk/government/publicati ... uage-tests
All that is gold does not glitter; Not all those who wander are lost. E&OE.

Tier 4
- thin ice -

Post by Tier 4 » Thu Jul 23, 2015 8:42 am

noajthan wrote:
Tier 4 wrote:I am bit confuse about changes in language requirements for Naturalisation.

IELTS is one qualification on the new list of approved tests but note that the Glasgow centre is not on the list:
https://www.gov.uk/government/publicati ... uage-tests

It was Glasgow caledonian university awarded by Cambridge English Language Assessment

Besides your link is about "Applying for a UK visa: approved English language tests"

I am applying Naturalisation

got this piece of information as well:

Some qualifications on the Home Office’s list will expire after 2 years.

If you’re applying for citizenship and took the test before 6 April 2015, your qualification will still be accepted even after it’s expired.

If you’re applying to settle in the UK, your expired qualification may still be accepted as proof if it was one of the following:

previously accepted by the Home Office in connection with another immigration application, eg entry clearance
awarded in the UK and is on the Ofqual register
You need to confirm your qualification with either a certificate or by checking that your results can be viewed online.
N/A

a.zaheer
Newly Registered

Post by a.zaheer » Thu Jul 23, 2015 10:43 am

You are good. As you have obtained ILR recently and used the same certificate you don't need anything new.

noajthan

Post by noajthan » Thu Jul 23, 2015 11:30 am

Tier 4 wrote:It was Glasgow caledonian university awarded by Cambridge English Language Assessment

Besides your link is about "Applying for a UK visa: approved English language tests"

I am applying Naturalisation

got this piece of information as well:

Some qualifications on the Home Office’s list will expire after 2 years.

If you’re applying for citizenship and took the test before 6 April 2015, your qualification will still be accepted even after it’s expired.

If you’re applying to settle in the UK, your expired qualification may still be accepted as proof if it was one of the following:

previously accepted by the Home Office in connection with another immigration application, eg entry clearance
awarded in the UK and is on the Ofqual register
You need to confirm your qualification with either a certificate or by checking that your results can be viewed online.
The Gov UK website is fairly clear:
https://www.gov.uk/english-language/app ... ifications
From November 2015, you won’t be able to use ESOL qualifications as proof for settlement and citizenship applications.
IELTS is on the new list but Glasgow Caledonian University is not a centre on the approved list.

You have quoted the transitional arrangements that only apply from April 2015 up to 5 November 2015 but you state you intend to apply in December 2015.

If applying after November suggest you crosscheck & verify everything including advice that any previous certificate used for an ILR application can be reused (for any application made after November 2015).

Also note the advice you quote about reuse relates to settlement
If you’re applying to settle in the UK...

Tier 4
- thin ice -

Post by Tier 4 » Thu Jul 23, 2015 12:19 pm

Sorry, are you telling me; despite having valid IELTS I have to do it again ? :shock:
N/A

geriatrix

Post by geriatrix » Thu Jul 23, 2015 12:33 pm

Why don't you wait till November 2015 to figure it out for sure?

Everyone here will be able to only present their own interpretation of the rules / changes, that you might or might not agree to!!
So, wait till the changes are published ... and know for sure then.
Life isn't fair, but you can be!

Tier 4
- thin ice -

Post by Tier 4 » Thu Jul 23, 2015 12:44 pm

noajthan wrote: IELTS is on the new list but Glasgow Caledonian University is not a centre on the approved list.
Well, Glasgow Caledonian can't be on the list mate, neither do Oxford, Cambridge etc etc my IELTS been awarded by “Cambridge English Language Assessment” that's what all it matters AND ITS ON APPROVED LIST.
noajthan wrote: You have quoted the transitional arrangements that only apply from April 2015 up to 5 November 2015 but you state you intend to apply in December 2015.
I am not talking about transitional arrangements, Look at the bottom of the page you linked.
N/A

noajthan

Post by noajthan » Thu Jul 23, 2015 12:45 pm

sushdmehta wrote:Why don't you wait till November 2015 to figure it out for sure?

Everyone here will be able to only present their own interpretation of the rules / changes, that you might or might not agree to!!
So, wait till the changes are published ... and know for sure then.
+1

&/or call HO helpline; ask them to explain Table 2: Approved SELT test centres in the new list.
That will help everyone out.

I see the quote on the page now but it's about settling not naturalising.
Again call HO, help everybody out.

Gomjaba

Post by Gomjaba » Thu Jul 23, 2015 2:24 pm

noajthan wrote:I see the quote on the page now but it's about settling not naturalising.

Surely naturalisation = citizenship applications :roll:

noajthan

Post by noajthan » Thu Jul 23, 2015 2:32 pm

Gomjaba wrote:
noajthan wrote:I see the quote on the page now but it's about settling not naturalising.

Surely naturalisation = citizenship applications :roll:
Correct.

But the _other quote_ on the page (about using expired qualifications previously submitted for a previous visa application) only refers to settlement (& not to citizenship/naturalisation).
  • previously accepted by the Home Office in connection with another immigration application, eg entry clearance
    awarded in the UK and is on the Ofqual registe
r

Tier 4
- thin ice -

Post by Tier 4 » Tue Jul 28, 2015 8:11 am

Just spoken to two UKBA advisor's on phone one said I can use it as I have already used it for ILR and the other said I can't.

So still confuse but thinking better safe than sorry and do it again in their nominated centre, as I still got 5 months to go. :cry:
N/A

spikey

Post by spikey » Tue Jul 28, 2015 8:40 am

Tier 4 wrote:Just spoken to two UKBA advisor's on phone one said I can use it as I have already used it for ILR and the other said I can't.

So still confuse but thinking better safe than sorry and do it again in their nominated centre, as I still got 5 months to go. :cry:

Mate you are safe. Don't waste anymore money on IELTS.
Simply tick mark the Box on the form that says "I met the knowledge of language and life requirement to qualify for settlement on or after 28th October 2013; " Its on Page 7.

Tier 4
- thin ice -

Post by Tier 4 » Tue Jul 28, 2015 10:50 pm

Got a reply by email as well:

Dear _______

As you have evidenced that you have met the requirements for your English language after October 2013, then you do not need to send this evidence again when applying for naturalisation.

You should tick this box on the application form
I met the knowledge of language and life requirement to qualify for settlement on or after 28th October 2013;

Kind regards

Gemma Parle
Nationality and Settlement Operational Policy | Immigration & Border Policy | Home Office
N/A

Tier 4
- thin ice -

I met the KOL after 28th October 2013

Post by Tier 4 » Wed Sep 02, 2015 5:07 pm

On the form AN for naturalisation in Knowledge of language / life in the UK section and in the sub-section of 1.22

I met the knowledge of language and life requirement to qualify for settlement on or after 28th October 2013;

If I tick above do I have to skip rest and jump into section 1.27 Details of your parents?

Note: I obtained ILR on December 2014 on Set (LR). Used valid IELTS for KOL
N/A

Tier 4
- thin ice -

Re: I met the KOL after 28th October 2013

Post by Tier 4 » Wed Sep 02, 2015 8:51 pm

anyone?
N/A

noajthan

Post by noajthan » Wed Sep 02, 2015 9:17 pm

Tier 4 wrote:anyone?
The form is ambiguous but it looks like it.
(Still enclose evidence with application).

Tier 4
- thin ice -

Post by Tier 4 » Wed Sep 02, 2015 11:03 pm

noajthan wrote:
The form is ambiguous but it looks like it.
(Still enclose evidence with application).
Got sort of answer in AN Guidance on page 15:

• Your confirmation that you met this requirement, on or after 28th October 2013, in order to obtain settlement.

I believe just need to tick in the box, though providing evidence / document etc (how did person prove KOL at the time of settlement) is beneficial but not essential.
N/A

palaremzi

Post by palaremzi » Fri Sep 11, 2015 3:25 pm

During our naturalization application (me and my wife) a few days ago we've done the same thing. Ticked the box saying we've satisfied the language requirements during the ILR application, but included the photocopies of the certificates/diplomas just in case.

I've read a few posts in this forum saying that the NCS officer phoned the Home Office and asked whether the language certificates should be included and the answer was no (presumably the caseworker can access the ILR application and verify that the language requirement is met, so certificates won't be necessary). But the lady at the NCS who handled our application said they still want to see the documents. Sounds to me it's a blurry area.

Anyhow, we'll see what happens.

UKBALoveStory
Afghanistan

Post by UKBALoveStory » Sun Dec 13, 2015 8:31 am

Tier 4 wrote:
Got a reply by email as well:

Dear _______

As you have evidenced that you have met the requirements for your English language after October 2013, then you do not need to send this evidence again when applying for naturalisation.

You should tick this box on the application form

Kind regards

Gemma Parle
Nationality and Settlement Operational Policy | Immigration & Border Policy | Home Office
Hello, I am in the kind of same situation. Which email address you have used to get this reply? Have you done any other research regarding this. Please see my thread(its a bit messy, as mods decided to merge all of my different threads, but go to 4th page).
I am not an immigration adviser...All IMHO.

ssidd

Post by ssidd » Sun Dec 13, 2015 9:05 pm

Hello,

When you applying for Naturalization? Which email address you used to confirm this?

I am in the same situation, got ILR last year and used IELTS academic but very confused now:(

Thanks
SIDD
Random life is difficult but systematic is much easier!!
SIDD

UKBALoveStory
Afghanistan

Post by UKBALoveStory » Sun Dec 13, 2015 9:26 pm

ssidd wrote:Hello,

When you applying for Naturalization? Which email address you used to confirm this?

I am in the same situation, got ILR last year and used IELTS academic but very confused now:(

Thanks
SIDD
I am not sure which email address to use but I have emailed this query to the following addresses. I would suggest you to do the same

KnowledgeOfLifePolicyQueries@homeoffice.gsi.gov.uk
nationalityenquiries@homeoffice.gsi.gov.uk;
FurtherNationalityEnquiries@homeoffice.gsi.gov.uk
public.enquiries@homeoffice.gsi.gov.uk
I am not an immigration adviser...All IMHO.