ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Naturalisation queries

A section for posts relating to applications for Naturalisation or Registration as a British Citizen. Naturalisation

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe

UKBALoveStory
Afghanistan

Re: Naturalisation queries

Post by UKBALoveStory » Mon Dec 14, 2015 9:29 am

sushdmehta wrote:Another one that you may want to write to: NationalityPolicyTeam.Liverpool@homeoffice.gsi.gov.uk
Thanks email sent. :)
I am not an immigration adviser...All IMHO.

fbutt50

Post by fbutt50 » Tue Dec 15, 2015 3:35 pm

It should not matter that Esol mention or not because he has already satisfied English requirement in ILR application after 28 October 2013 so he does not demonstrate it again I am in the same situation and I sent my application before 12th November with expired IELTS because I satisfied English requirement in ILR therefore ticked the (already met box). That's it.
If u disagree then plz answer me on thing
If someone has proved his English ability then why he needs to do again?
*The gravity*

geriatrix

Post by geriatrix » Tue Dec 15, 2015 4:59 pm

TBH, it is only when undecided applications on/after 12-Nov-15 start getting processed that the issue may become clear - if people start posting on the forum request from HO to take an SELT test. Or if HO clarifiies before that ... in response to FOI requests / emails, or in updated guidance / website etc.
Life isn't fair, but you can be!

ssidd

Post by ssidd » Tue Dec 15, 2015 8:29 pm

Hello,

I email Nationality team and I got this auto reply with the fact sheet attached i.e.KNOWLEDGE OF LANGUAGE AND LIFE IN THE UK REQUIREMENT Qualifications Fact Sheet and it says that

English language tests

1. Will my qualification meet the requirement?
We cannot advise about individual qualifications. Your qualification should be at
B1 CEFR level or above and be on attached LIST A. You must have taken this
test at an approved centre (see
https://www.gov.uk/government/publicati ... uage-tests).

2. What if I am applying for citizenship and I met the language requirement for
settlement?
If you met the language requirement for settlement by passing a test at B1 level you will
not need to pass another test.

3. What if your website says my qualification expires after 2 years?
Qualifications are only valid for 2 years for immigration purposes. However, for
settlement applications, we will accept one of the qualifications on the attached list that
has passed the expiry date, if it has previously been accepted by us in connection with
another immigration application, e.g. for entry clearance.
For citizenship applications you do not need to pass another test if you met the English
language requirement for settlement by passing a B1 level test.
You should write the number of your qualification in the relevant section of the
application form so that we can verify it.

I think its very clear now, if English language exam is accepted in ILR then do not need to do it again.

Thanks
SIDD
Random life is difficult but systematic is much easier!!
SIDD

fbutt50

Post by fbutt50 » Tue Dec 15, 2015 9:09 pm

I agree with u completely and can also confirm that I received this same fact sheet from nationality team in reply to my same question. I think there should b no doubt now.
*The gravity*

UKBALoveStory
Afghanistan

Post by UKBALoveStory » Tue Dec 15, 2015 10:08 pm

After discussing on the forum, I decided to cancel my NCS appointment. Visited NCS, and the lady there confirmed me, that I can submit the same IELTS certificate. I am now proceeding with my NCS appointment and will update you guys how it goes.

fbutt50

Post by fbutt50 » Wed Dec 16, 2015 9:35 am

Hi Ukbalovestory
I think it can't b clear more than this in the fact sheet that if u satisfied English ability in ILR then no need to do again. I submitted expired IELTS in my application. :wink:
*The gravity*

UKBALoveStory
Afghanistan

Post by UKBALoveStory » Wed Dec 16, 2015 10:45 am

fbutt50 wrote:Hi Ukbalovestory
I think it can't b clear more than this in the fact sheet that if u satisfied English ability in ILR then no need to do again. I submitted expired IELTS in my application. :wink:
I wishyou good luck with your application. Let me know when and if you get any feedback/approval

tcpip_helper

Post by tcpip_helper » Wed Dec 16, 2015 11:46 pm

Its quite simple, if you fulfilled the life in the UK and english language requirement for settlement application after oct 2013 then you don't need to do the test again, even if you used ESOL it doesnt matter as there are no restriction in the option
I met the knowledge of language and life requirement to qualify for settlement on or after
28th October 2013;
please save your hard earned £150.

fbutt50

Post by fbutt50 » Thu Dec 17, 2015 8:56 am

I agree with u tcpip that's the only reason they kept the option of ( koll requirement already met) in the form and it clearly says in the guideline for naturalisation application u do not need to do again however people still confused about it I don't know why?
I have checked this with one of the lawyer and NCS also confirmed it.
*The gravity*

tcpip_helper

Post by tcpip_helper » Thu Dec 17, 2015 11:08 am

Also esol and gese exams are almost identical they both test your speaking and listening skills in a short conversation/interview style test.

ssidd

Post by ssidd » Fri Dec 18, 2015 8:01 pm

Hello,

A quick question,
In Naturalization form in question 1.22, I will tick the option
I met the knowledge of language and life requirement to qualify for settlement on or after 28th October 2013;

but what I need to do with question 1.23, which ask about details of English language test?

CAMBRIDGE Language Assessment, was my awarding body, not the IELTS SELT consortium, should I need to leave this question blank?

Please guide me

Thanks
SIDD
SIDD

tcpip_helper

Post by tcpip_helper » Mon Dec 21, 2015 4:21 pm

if you tick the option you have already met the requirement at the time of settlement then you don't need to do anything in 1.23 just leave it blank.

Q 1.23 is for those who has taken the new test in approved test centre then they need to provide details in 1.23

geriatrix

Post by geriatrix » Wed Dec 23, 2015 5:28 pm

ssidd wrote:I email Nationality team and I got this auto reply with the fact sheet attached
Which email ID did you send the email to?

UKBALoveStory
Afghanistan

Post by UKBALoveStory » Wed Dec 23, 2015 6:13 pm

sushdmehta wrote:
ssidd wrote:I email Nationality team and I got this auto reply with the fact sheet attached
Which email ID did you send the email to?

That is a generic response sheet that you get from KnowledgeOfLifePolicyQueries@homeoffice.gsi.gov.uk

geriatrix

Post by geriatrix » Wed Dec 23, 2015 6:26 pm

Oh!!

So "ssidd" did not write to / get the response from nationality team but still claimed that he/she did?

UKBALoveStory
Afghanistan

Post by UKBALoveStory » Wed Dec 23, 2015 10:27 pm

sushdmehta wrote:Oh!!

So "ssidd" did not write to / get the response from nationality team but still claimed that he/she did?

I don't know, but I get this attachment when I sent the email to above mentioned email.

Thanks

ssidd

Post by ssidd » Thu Dec 24, 2015 8:47 pm

Hello,

I submitted the Naturalization application today via NCS. The NCS even don't know anything about English language exam, fingers crossed now:)

Any one who also applied with option 1.23 i.e. I met the KOLL in settlement stage?

Regards
SIDD
SIDD

fbutt50

Post by fbutt50 » Fri Dec 25, 2015 11:41 am

Yes I did and I used my old IELTS when I applied for settlement and ticked the option ( I met language requirement already)
*The gravity*

tcpip_helper

Post by tcpip_helper » Fri Dec 25, 2015 12:58 pm

ssidd wrote:
Any one who also applied with option 1.23 i.e. I met the KOLL in settlement stage?

Regards
SIDD
I'll be doing the same next month

ssidd

Post by ssidd » Fri Dec 25, 2015 4:17 pm

Hello,

What about you UKBA lovestoty?

Thanks
SIDD
SIDD

ssidd

Post by ssidd » Sat Jan 16, 2016 9:45 pm

Hello guys,

Just seen an update about English language test on the website,

https://www.gov.uk/english-language/app ... ifications

Applying for citizenship

You can use a B1 level qualification that’s run out if you’re applying for citizenship and it was accepted when you settled in the UK.

Applying to settle in the UK

You can use a B1 level qualification that’s run out if you’re applying to settle in the UK and it was accepted for another UK immigration application, eg when you got permission to enter.

It doesn’t matter if the B1 level test you took isn’t on the list of recognised tests now. You don’t need to take another test.

I hope it will be helpful

Regards
SIDD
SIDD

Laguna1234
Newly Registered

Post by Laguna1234 » Wed Jan 20, 2016 10:13 pm

ssidd wrote:Hello guys,

Just seen an update about English language test on the website,

https://www.gov.uk/english-language/app ... ifications

Applying for citizenship

You can use a B1 level qualification that’s run out if you’re applying for citizenship and it was accepted when you settled in the UK.

Applying to settle in the UK

You can use a B1 level qualification that’s run out if you’re applying to settle in the UK and it was accepted for another UK immigration application, eg when you got permission to enter.

It doesn’t matter if the B1 level test you took isn’t on the list of recognised tests now. You don’t need to take another test.

I hope it will be helpful

Regards
SIDD

Hi,

My dilemma is regarding exactly this grey area. I entered the UK in February 2013 fulfilling the language criteria by passing IELTS Academic. It has now expired. My ILR was granted the same year as I came as a dependant of a work permit holder. I took the LIUK test and it alone was deemed sufficient at the time for KoLL. My IELTS was not taken into consideration for settlement.

Now I'm eligible to apply for citizenship/naturalisation. So the burning question is, will my expired IELTS suffice given the fact that it was taken into consideration when I first entered the UK but NOT when I applied for settlement?

Will really appreciate some commentary and thoughts on this!

ssidd

Re: Naturalisation queries UPDATE

Post by ssidd » Sat Mar 12, 2016 2:14 pm

Hello guys,

Just to update, this morning I got the approval letter.

Many thanks
SIDD
SIDD

UKBALoveStory
Afghanistan

Re: Naturalisation queries UPDATE

Post by UKBALoveStory » Sat Mar 12, 2016 5:17 pm

My citizenship is also approved today, I have provided the IELTS certificate which I did in 2007. I have used the same IELTS certificate for my initial Tier 1 application, then ILR and now citizenship.