ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

British Citizenship – Good Character Requirement FAQs

A section for posts relating to applications for Naturalisation or Registration as a British Citizen. Naturalisation

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe

vinny

British Citizenship – Good Character Requirement FAQs

Post by vinny » Fri Nov 03, 2017 1:03 am

This is not intended to be legal or professional advice in any jurisdiction. Please click on any given links for further information. Refer to the source of any quotes.
We do not inherit the Earth from our ancestors, we borrow it from our children.

secret.simon

Re: British Citizenship – Good Character Requirement FAQs

Post by secret.simon » Wed May 09, 2018 3:58 pm

I am not a lawyer or immigration advisor. My statements/comments do not constitute legal advice. E&OE. Please do not PM me for advice.

CR001
Mood:
South Africa

Post by CR001 » Tue Jan 15, 2019 11:09 am

Char (CR001 not Casa)
In life you cannot press the Backspace button!!
Please DO NOT send me a PM for immigration advice. I reserve the right to ignore the PM and not respond.

vinny

Post by vinny » Wed Apr 17, 2019 9:49 am

Bad news for overstayers in latest hardening of British citizenship policy.

However,
It is difficult to envision many other situations in which people could successfully argue that an extended period of overstaying was not their “fault”. The only obvious example that comes to mind is where the applicant was a child at the time of the overstaying and the guidance does in fact state elsewhere that applicants should not be penalised for this. Another example might be where the applicant was in an abusive relationship and prevented from extending their leave by their partner.

Luckily,
Discretion relating to children
When assessing a child’s good character, it will normally be appropriate to disregard immigration breaches if it is accepted this was outside of their control. For example, where a parent applied for the child to come to the UK as their dependant but failed to apply for an extension of leave when the child’s temporary leave expired, the child should not be penalised.
This is not intended to be legal or professional advice in any jurisdiction. Please click on any given links for further information. Refer to the source of any quotes.
We do not inherit the Earth from our ancestors, we borrow it from our children.