ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

JCAP and its issues - passport can't be issued

A section for posts relating to applications for Naturalisation or Registration as a British Citizen. Naturalisation

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe

KA941

JCAP and its issues - passport can't be issued

Post by KA941 » Sun May 08, 2016 11:12 am

Hi,
Applied through JCAP in January and had my approval in April. Attended ceremony on 18th April and haven't had my passport since then
Called HMPO first time they said everything is fine called again yesterday and was told that passport can't be issued because UKVI hasn't received confirmation of ceremony attendance.
Was told to contact local council to ask them to confirm UKVI ceremony attendance.

Not sure if anyone faced similar issue and they tackled it. Without any disrespect my local council probably is the worst one so not counting lot of hope on it.
I will be contacting them tomorrow but any advice will be much appreciated
Thanks

geriatrix

Re: JCAP and its issues - passport can't be issued

Post by geriatrix » Sun May 08, 2016 11:57 am

Your naturalisation certificate is confirmation of you having attended the ceremony.
The certificate number should help HMPO ascertain that you are now indeed a British citizen.
Life isn't fair, but you can be!

KA941

Post by KA941 » Sun May 08, 2016 2:44 pm

Thanks for the reply
I did mention this to the person I spoke to but he said the examiner dealing with my case has written notes that he's awaiting confirmation from UKVI and UKVI awaiting on councils confirmation
I even offered to send the certificate but they said it doesn't prove that you attended the ceremony :roll:

KA941

Post by KA941 » Wed May 11, 2016 12:36 pm

Called local authority and they said the confirmed attendance of ceremony to UKVI 2 days after the ceremony date.
Called UKVI but could not speak to the required team as they dont accept inbound calls (Typical). Was asked to send an email which I did and the turn around time to get an action is 10 working days. Worth mentioning that I didnt get any acknowledgement of the email either.
Called passport office - they cant do anything until they received confirmation from UKVI.
I am now stuck in the middle.
I thought my uncertainty/waiting time was over after receiving approval, but it hasnt. It is the beginning of something new.
Will let you know if there is any movement.
Bring on JCAP...!

zahmed05
- thin ice -
Pakistan

Post by zahmed05 » Sat May 14, 2016 6:56 pm

Hi

Did this issue get resolved? You had any response from UKVI?

Regards,
Zeeshan

mike799
Newly Registered

Post by mike799 » Sat May 14, 2016 7:55 pm

If I'll be in same situation I will withdraw my current passport application and make fresh application with all documents and appear in interview and get things sorted within two week time as per check and send passport service time line. it cost extra around £85 but no stress :D

NAP
Newly Registered

Post by NAP » Tue Jul 19, 2016 4:02 pm

I am in this exact situation too, my local authority insist that they sent notification on same day as ceremony. They even contacted UKVI for me to double check they have the correct status (and they did).

Passport office is still insisting that the status says we did not yet attend ceremony.

I would love to hear from you (or anyone else with this issue) how it was resolved.

imnewhere

Post by imnewhere » Fri Jul 22, 2016 11:20 am

I am in the same situation. did you get yours sorted? council confirmed they sent attendance to the Home Office via email. but passport office havent received confirmation.

NAP
Newly Registered

Post by NAP » Mon Jul 25, 2016 2:11 pm

imnewhere wrote:I am in the same situation. did you get yours sorted? council confirmed they sent attendance to the Home Office via email. but passport office havent received confirmation.
Nope, am still trying to sort it out. I have logged investigations with both UKVI and with HMPO but no response yet.

imnewhere

Post by imnewhere » Mon Jul 25, 2016 2:26 pm

I sent an email this morning to UKVI and also requested the examiner ring UKVI for confirmation. How long ago did you attend your ceremony?

NAP
Newly Registered

Post by NAP » Mon Jul 25, 2016 3:19 pm

imnewhere wrote:I sent an email this morning to UKVI and also requested the examiner ring UKVI for confirmation. How long ago did you attend your ceremony?
We attended the ceremony on 16th June 2016, so it has been almost 6 weeks waiting. The passport office confirmed their service target is 'within 20 working days' and have acknowledged that something is wrong, but are presently blaming UKVI. Looking at posts from other people on this board, the average time taken to get passport after ceremony seems to be about 1-2 weeks. Most people report getting a text within a few days of their ceremony (we never had one). I have also seen information on the present websites for some local authorities (Wolverhampton is one) giving a timeline of around 2 weeks (which is inconsistent with the HMPO service target). We used Brent for the application and I am fairly sure at the time we were told 'within 2 weeks' although their website now looks like it has been updated to reflect the HMPO service target of 20 working days. I suspect this service target is quite new and has been implemented sometime after our application at the Brent NCS/JCAP which was 07th March 2016.

imnewhere

Post by imnewhere » Mon Jul 25, 2016 4:05 pm

I think yours has taken definitely the longest time I have seen, It used to take long when the scheme was first rolled out but it has now been embedded and shouldnt take that long. Now i feel like a very impatient person contacting UKVI about mine which i attended my ceremony only on 20th.

Yours definitely warrant the chase. Keep us informed how it plays out;
i will also let you know once I get an update.

Casa

Post by Casa » Mon Jul 25, 2016 4:11 pm

It may well be partly due to the increase of passport applications during the Summer holidays, the busiest time of the year. Also a contributing factor may be the rush for British citizenship followed by a passport application due to Brexit.

This makes interesting (if slightly concerning) reading and includes:
The delays have been reduced in recent weeks, the government says, but it acknowledges that it is still dealing with a backlog of 80,000 passport applications. At the peak of the problem in June, more than 500,000 applications were in the backlog.

http://www.theweek.co.uk/58948/how-long ... t/page/0/1

Admittedly from Oct 15, but one would question whether they have been able to catch up and cope with any increased demand. (The article was posted in June 2016). Also to add to the workload, overseas passport offices have now been closed and all passports are processed in the UK.
(Casa, not CR001)
Please don't send me PMs asking for immigration advice on posts that are on the open forum. If I haven't responded there, it's because I don't have the answer. I'm a moderator, not a legal professional.

NAP
Newly Registered

Post by NAP » Sat Jul 30, 2016 11:57 am

imnewhere wrote:I think yours has taken definitely the longest time I have seen, It used to take long when the scheme was first rolled out but it has now been embedded and shouldnt take that long. Now i feel like a very impatient person contacting UKVI about mine which i attended my ceremony only on 20th.

Yours definitely warrant the chase. Keep us informed how it plays out;
i will also let you know once I get an update.
We have passports! Crisis averted......
It appears that the email to citizenship.support@homeoffice.gsi.gov.uk eventually solved the problem. Please note that we confirmed first that the local authority had indeed sent the update to UKVI about our ceremony, and also that UKVI had the correct status on their system. The issue was with the message between UKVI and HMPO. After emailing the above address, with clear markings that it was a JCAP application, what was wrong, and our home office reference, together with DOB and full names, it was about a week to resolve the issue. Once the caseworker confirmed that the issue was fixed, we followed up with a call to HMPO to confirm that it had come through which took another 2 or 3 days for it to update onto their computer system. Once it had, then passport arrived the following day. Such a relief as we are due to fly a day after that!