ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

British Citizenship By Descent, HOW?

A section for posts relating to applications for Naturalisation or Registration as a British Citizen. Naturalisation

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe

Jawad94

British Citizenship By Descent, HOW?

Post by Jawad94 » Mon Jun 13, 2016 9:35 pm

I have a question whether I can have the British Citizenship By Descent or not. But first, let me give all the details of my situation:

My father got the British Citizenship By Naturalisation when he traveled to England about 30 years ago.

I was born in Syria in 1994 and still living in Syria (I have never been to the UK before). Unfortunately my father died in Syria in 2011.

Of course, there is no British Embassy in Syria due to the unpleasant circumstances we currently live in. So, in case I have the right to be a British Citizen by descent, what am I required to do? And is it worth it to apply and pay the fees to be rejected by any reason afterwards? (fees are a big burden to me, I cannot handle to pay them for nothing in case I was rejected).

Thanks in advance :)

CR001
Mood:
South Africa

Re: British Citizenship By Descent, HOW?

Post by CR001 » Mon Jun 13, 2016 9:39 pm

If your father was British at the time of your birth, you are British by descent and can apply for a passport directly (+/-£73). They are processed in the UK not at the embassies. You will need proof of your fathers status (passport or naturalisation certificate) and your birth certificate naming your father as your father and parents marriage certificate if they were married.

Was your father married to your mother when you were born?
Char (CR001 not Casa)
In life you cannot press the Backspace button!!
Please DO NOT send me a PM for immigration advice. I reserve the right to ignore the PM and not respond.

Jawad94

Post by Jawad94 » Mon Jun 13, 2016 9:54 pm

Yes, I was born after his citizenship.
No, he was not married to my mother when he got the citizenship.

But how can I manage the paperwork of the passport from distance?

Thank you so much :) I really appreciate your quick response.

noajthan

Post by noajthan » Mon Jun 13, 2016 9:55 pm

Jawad94 wrote:I have a question whether I can have the British Citizenship By Descent or not. But first, let me give all the details of my situation:

My father got the British Citizenship By Naturalisation when he traveled to England about 30 years ago.

I was born in Syria in 1994 and still living in Syria (I have never been to the UK before). Unfortunately my father died in Syria in 2011.

Of course, there is no British Embassy in Syria due to the unpleasant circumstances we currently live in. So, in case I have the right to be a British Citizen by descent, what am I required to do? And is it worth it to apply and pay the fees to be rejected by any reason afterwards? (fees are a big burden to me, I cannot handle to pay them for nothing in case I was rejected).

Thanks in advance :)
For Syria you have to apply via a neighbouring country, see:
https://www.gov.uk/overseas-passports/y/syria

There's an additional courier fee, approx £20 - £25

Note the processing time varies from country to country (from 6 - 12 weeks or so);
- suggest shop around (via that link) depending on the 'best' country for you.

Best of British luck.
All that is gold does not glitter; Not all those who wander are lost. E&OE.

vinny

Post by vinny » Mon Jun 13, 2016 11:27 pm

Jawad94 wrote:Yes, I was born after his citizenship.
No, he was not married to my mother when he got the citizenship.
Was he subsequently married to your mother? Preferably at the time of your birth?
This is not intended to be legal or professional advice in any jurisdiction. Please click on any given links for further information. Refer to the source of any quotes.
We do not inherit the Earth from our ancestors, we borrow it from our children.

Jawad94

Post by Jawad94 » Tue Jun 14, 2016 11:08 am

Yes, he was legally married to my mother 3 years before I was born.

vinny

Post by vinny » Tue Jun 14, 2016 11:10 am

Just gather up the evidence to apply for a British passport.
This is not intended to be legal or professional advice in any jurisdiction. Please click on any given links for further information. Refer to the source of any quotes.
We do not inherit the Earth from our ancestors, we borrow it from our children.

Jawad94

Post by Jawad94 » Tue Jun 14, 2016 11:28 am

Thank you so much for your support.

So is it only enough for overseas applicants of descent citizenship to apply for a passport with its required documents to be a British citizen? (in case things went fine).

LilyLalilu

Post by LilyLalilu » Tue Jun 14, 2016 12:21 pm

So is it only enough for overseas applicants of descent citizenship to apply for a passport with its required documents to be a British citizen? (in case things went fine).
You already are a British citizen, so you only need to apply for a passport. A full British passport is a travel document issued to British Citizens which also officially confirms a status you held from birth and allows you to travel to the UK without hassle should you so wish.
All information given is just my opinion as a member of this forum and does not constitute immigration advice.

Jawad94

Post by Jawad94 » Tue Jun 14, 2016 6:48 pm

LilyLalilu wrote:
You already are a British citizen, so you only need to apply for a passport. A full British passport is a travel document issued to British Citizens which also officially confirms a status you held from birth and allows you to travel to the UK without hassle should you so wish.
Thanks, it sounds really great to find out that you are already a British Citizen all these years. :)

noajthan

Post by noajthan » Tue Jun 14, 2016 7:10 pm

Jawad94 wrote:Thanks, it sounds really great to find out that you are already a British Citizen all these years. :)
As long as you have your papers in order and can get to the appropriate embassy (neighbouring country) you should be fine.

We're waiting for you,
Best of British luck.

Jawad94

Post by Jawad94 » Wed Jun 15, 2016 12:03 pm

I truly appreciate all of your support. :)

One last question; as for the countersignatory, it is mentioned that the person must not be related by birth or marriage. Is my uncle's wife considered an accepted relative or not to be my countersignatory?

noajthan

Post by noajthan » Wed Jun 15, 2016 12:52 pm

Jawad94 wrote:I truly appreciate all of your support. :)

One last question; as for the countersignatory, it is mentioned that the person must not be related by birth or marriage. Is my uncle's wife considered an accepted relative or not to be my countersignatory?
No, that lady is your aunt so she is a legal and quite close relative.

You will need to find someone else who is truly unrelated.

noajthan

Post by noajthan » Thu Jun 16, 2016 9:47 pm

@Jawad94
Note: I have just moved your latest post to a secure area that moderators can view but general users cannot see.

This is to preserve your privacy as you had posted personal details of your paperwork in a public place.

Don't worry, the Mods can still comment on your post and questions which I have copied here...
Jawad94 wrote:I so sorry for asking too many questions. But I need to make sure that the documents I possess are sufficient and accepted by the Home Office.

As for my father's Naturalisation Certificate: (I also have his expired British passport, but I haven't attached it here)
[Certificate of Naturalisation]

As for my civil register (it was officially translated by a sworn authentic translator):
[graphic]

As for my parents' marriage contract: (it was officially translated by a sworn authentic translator):
[graphic]

However, my documents still need to be stamped by the Syrian Home Office, which I am about to get them done. I have an educational degree from my country, but I haven't translated it yet, I also have my active Syrian passport. Plus, do I need a record of proof of all my siblings my father's ex wives?

As it is mentioned in the guidance file, I am supposed to send a Medical/health card. What medical tests should I do exactly?

noajthan

Post by noajthan » Thu Jun 16, 2016 9:59 pm

@Jawad94, why do you think you need a medical test or siblings details or to show your academic qualifications?
What guidance are you using :?:

My understanding is this is the guidance that applies:
https://www.gov.uk/government/uploads/s ... _09.15.PDF
See Table B
Also Table D.

See also:
https://www.gov.uk/government/publicati ... s-guidance

For parent (father) you just need his naturalisation certificate and marriage certificate.
You have both of these.

For yourself, you just need your passport/s and full birth certificate.
Have you ever changed your name :?: (don't post it here!)

noajthan

Post by noajthan » Thu Jun 16, 2016 10:27 pm

@Jawad94

Observations on the documents.

Naturalisation Certificate (father): appears to be in order.

The date of naturalisation cannot be seen in the graphic as posted so I cannot confirm it was before your date of birth.

Civil Register (yours): is that the equivalent of a Birth Certificate?

It appears to contain parents' details as well as yours so it may qualify as a 'full certificate' (as is required).
I can see your parents were married before your date of birth.

Parent's Marriage Certificate:

:!: Note your father's surname is spelt differently compared to the spelling in the Civil Register and Naturalisation Certificate.
(there is a slight difference of a single missing letter: "l").

Is that a typo in the translation or in the original document?

Jawad94

Post by Jawad94 » Thu Jun 16, 2016 10:55 pm

noajthan wrote:@Jawad94
Note: I have just moved your latest post to a secure area that moderators can view but general users cannot see.

This is to preserve your privacy as you had posted personal details of your paperwork in a public place.

Don't worry, the Mods can still comment on your post and questions which I have copied here...
Thank you so much for keeping my privacy safe. :)
noajthan wrote:@Jawad94, why do you think you need a medical test or siblings details or to show your academic qualifications?
What guidance are you using :?:

My understanding is this is the guidance that applies:
https://www.gov.uk/government/uploads/s ... _09.15.PDF
See Table B
Also Table D.

See also:
https://www.gov.uk/government/publicati ... s-guidance

For parent (father) you just need his naturalisation certificate and marriage certificate.
You have both of these.

For yourself, you just need your passport/s and full birth certificate.
Have you ever changed your name :?: (don't post it here!)
I took the guidance from the file "Applying for a passport from outside the UK
Supporting Documents" but I misunderstood something that they are only required to proof my identity and my address, not for the sake of their purpose.

No, I haven't changed my name.

Jawad94

Post by Jawad94 » Thu Jun 16, 2016 11:13 pm

noajthan wrote:@Jawad94

Observations on the documents.

Naturalisation Certificate (father): appears to be in order.

The date of naturalisation cannot be seen in the graphic as posted so I cannot confirm it was before your date of birth.

Civil Register (yours): is that the equivalent of a Birth Certificate?

It appears to contain parents' details as well as yours so it may qualify as a 'full certificate' (as is required).
I can see your parents were married before your date of birth.

Parent's Marriage Certificate:

:!: Note your father's surname is spelt differently compared to the spelling in the Civil Register and Naturalisation Certificate.
(there is a slight difference of a single missing letter: "l").

Is that a typo in the translation or in the original document?

As for the certificate date: it's on 28 November 1985.
As for proving identity, birth place and date, origin, and address; civil register is the only legal document for such information in Syria.

As for the marriage certificate, yes it is a typo made by the translator. I will make sure to have it corrected.

Again, I can't thank you enough.

noajthan

Post by noajthan » Thu Jun 16, 2016 11:23 pm

Jawad94 wrote:As for the certificate date: it's on 28 November 1985.
As for proving identity, birth place and date, origin, and address; civil register is the only legal document for such information in Syria.

As for the marriage certificate, yes it is a typo made by the translator. I will make sure to have it corrected.
So father was British before you were born - super.

I think the details on Civil Register are adequate; they name you and parents, show DoB etc.

Good that its only a mistake in the translation. Everything should match up accurately.

Table D of Guidance states something about applying in a country other than birth country - take note of that.

It seems to me once the translation of marriage certificate is corrected you are almost there.

Make sure no documents are laminated! (They won't be accepted if laminated).

Jawad94

Post by Jawad94 » Thu Jun 16, 2016 11:35 pm

noajthan wrote:
Jawad94 wrote:As for the certificate date: it's on 28 November 1985.

So father was British before you were born - super.

I think the details on Civil Register are adequate; they name you and parents, show DoB etc.

Good that its only a mistake in the translation. Everything should match up accurately.

Table D of Guidance states something about applying in a country other than birth country - take note of that.

It seems to me once the translation of marriage certificate is corrected you are almost there.
In that case, I'll send an e-mail to the concerned center in Beirut to set an appointment. One last thing, I'm fluent in English and fully ready to do interviews, but my sisters who are also going to apply for the passport (who also share the same legal status of mine) are not that good in English and can't handle to do it in English, would that be considered a problem for them?

noajthan

Post by noajthan » Thu Jun 16, 2016 11:44 pm

Jawad94 wrote:In that case, I'll send an e-mail to the concerned center in Beirut. One last thing, I'm fluent in English and fully ready to do interviews, but my sisters who are also going to apply for the passport (who also share the same legal status of mine) are not that good in English and can't handle to do it jn English, would that be considered a problem for them?
Your sisters do not need to be so worried.

The passport interview is not an English test, the purpose is not to examine language ability.
An applicant will not be 'failed' due to poor language.

it is a kind of identity verification test.
It takes around 30-40 minutes (from memory).

Obviously the purpose of the interview is for the applicant to speak for themself.
The official needs to be satisfied they are who they say they are.

You could try asking if an interpreter can be provided (I don't know).
It may be possible a companion could sit with the applicant (but not speak). You would have to ask about that too. (I don't know).

My wife has done this type of interview, it is a little nerve-wracking for applicants because they see it as a big hurdle and they may also be nervous talking to 'authority figures'.
The official who interviewed my wife was female; she was kind and sympathetic as well as professional.

There are example questions members have posted somewhere in the forum if you search.

Edit: here's a sample (from UK-based centres):
http://www.immigrationboards.com/britis ... y#p1142360
& see:
http://londonseye.blogspot.co.uk/2015/0 ... tions.html

Jawad94

Post by Jawad94 » Fri Jun 17, 2016 12:43 am

Well, that seems very relaxing.

Thanks for everything ^_^

noajthan

Post by noajthan » Fri Jun 17, 2016 11:59 am

noajthan wrote:
Jawad94 wrote: One last question; as for the countersignatory, it is mentioned that the person must not be related by birth or marriage. Is my uncle's wife considered an accepted relative or not to be my countersignatory?
No, that lady is your aunt so she is a legal and quite close relative.

You will need to find someone else who is truly unrelated.
@Jawad94 see this guidance regarding countersignatories:
https://www.gov.uk/countersigning-passp ... what-to-do

Note the requirements about passport holders.

You wouldn't want to go all the way to next country and then discover you had an invalid countersignatory.

Jawad94

Post by Jawad94 » Fri Jun 17, 2016 3:58 pm

I have a friend who has the Italian and Syrian citizenships and works as an engineer in Sweden and we've been close for 5 years. I hope it would work out.

noajthan

Post by noajthan » Fri Jun 17, 2016 4:06 pm

Jawad94 wrote:I have a friend who has the Italian and Syrian citizenships and works as an engineer in Sweden and we've been close for 5 years. I hope it would work out.
It may cause some delay but should be good enough.

You will need a colour photocopy of their passport page with their photograph on it (as well as to have your passport photos signed by her/him).