ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Fast track SAR for PR date?

A section for posts relating to applications for Naturalisation or Registration as a British Citizen. Naturalisation

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe

johnkk
Greece

Fast track SAR for PR date?

Post by johnkk » Sun Oct 02, 2016 3:38 pm

I'm an EEA citizen who just got a "Document Certifying Permanent Resident" and, as is obvious, want to know the exact date the HO has put down for me as having acquired PR (not the date of the DCPR certificate (which is dated a few weeks ago).

The normal process for doing that is via a normal SAR form. This post is not about the normal SAR form.

The UKVI site also has a 'Fast Track SAR' form. This one requires no fee and is supposed to be faster to process because it is automated.

The form is here:
https://www.gov.uk/government/publicati ... mmigration

(file 'Application for fast track records only' - direct link: https://www.gov.uk/government/uploads/s ... QUEST.docx )

This form is much less flexible compare to the normal SAR request form - there's no field to add custom requests like "I'd like my to know the date I acquired PR".

The only options are the following three tickboxes:

Records Required:
- IT Records [x]
- Entry Clearance [x]
- Landing Cards [x]

Does anyone know if data returned using any of these 3 options is going to contain the date the PR status was acquired?

hellothere19

Re: Fast track SAR for PR date?

Post by hellothere19 » Tue Oct 04, 2016 11:55 am

I'm in a similar situation and requested a Fast track first, but it only gives info re landing cards, entry clearance and not the actual PR date which was the only thing I needed to know. They wrote to me and told me this can only be requested on the standard form
Dual national since Jan 2018 :) Belgian and British

johnkk
Greece

Post by johnkk » Tue Oct 04, 2016 12:21 pm

hellothere19 wrote:I'm in a similar situation and requested a Fast track first, but it only gives info re landing cards, entry clearance and not the actual PR date which was the only thing I needed to know. They wrote to me and told me this can only be requested on the standard form
I just sent the fast track SAR request, an hour before reading this post. Oh well.. I guess I'll just go through NCS and confirm PR date there. No point in paying solicitors for documents for the normal SAR form I think.
Thanks for letting us know!

Condor82

Post by Condor82 » Tue Oct 04, 2016 12:50 pm

Yeah I need to do the same guys, I phoned HO and they cannot provide that info via phone.

Do you reckon NCS can confirm the actual date with HO? I read that it is not compulsory for them, please advise 'cause NCS is the best shortcut. It will take ages with the SAR form.

Noetic
Member of Standing

Post by Noetic » Tue Oct 04, 2016 6:55 pm

Condor82 wrote:Yeah I need to do the same guys, I phoned HO and they cannot provide that info via phone.

Do you reckon NCS can confirm the actual date with HO? I read that it is not compulsory for them, please advise 'cause NCS is the best shortcut. It will take ages with the SAR form.
Really depends on the NCS they aren't all as up to date with the requirements and ready to ring HO.

Condor82

Post by Condor82 » Wed Oct 05, 2016 12:44 pm

Noetic wrote:
Condor82 wrote:Yeah I need to do the same guys, I phoned HO and they cannot provide that info via phone.

Really depends on the NCS they aren't all as up to date with the requirements and ready to ring HO.
Ok but basically I need NCS for that information so if I spend 70 quids I want to make sure they ring HO, If I politely ask them to do so (considering that I pay them) do you know if they can refuse?

ohara
Diamond Member

Post by ohara » Fri Oct 07, 2016 12:40 am

Fast track SAR can be used to obtain PR date (it has been done).

NCS can check on the phone also, but only at your appointment. I'm not sure what you mean when you ask "is it compulsory" - it takes literally 30 seconds and I don't know why they wouldn't do it, considering there is £1236 of your money hanging in the balance.

johnkk
Greece

Post by johnkk » Fri Oct 07, 2016 12:45 pm

ohara wrote:Fast track SAR can be used to obtain PR date (it has been done).
This contradicts what another user said a few posts above:
hellothere19 wrote:I'm in a similar situation and requested a Fast track first, but it only gives info re landing cards, entry clearance and not the actual PR date which was the only thing I needed to know. They wrote to me and told me this can only be requested on the standard form
Some clarity on this would be appreciated. We'll know in a couple of weeks I guess, as I've done the fast-track application and I'm waiting myself.

Zhonor

Post by Zhonor » Fri Oct 07, 2016 5:40 pm

I've submitted a fast track SAR as well base on what I've read here.

I'll update once I hear anything. :)

johnkk
Greece

Post by johnkk » Sun Oct 30, 2016 12:25 pm

I can now confirm that fast track SAR gives you the PR details - I got a copy of all caseworker notes entered into the CID database, including date of acquiring PR.
It took exactly 20 working days to receive the reply ( 1 calendar month )

LilyLalilu

Post by LilyLalilu » Sun Oct 30, 2016 7:28 pm

Yes, I can confirm that this worked for me as well - and no need for a solicitor-certified PP copy with a fast-track SAR so all good :)
All information given is just my opinion as a member of this forum and does not constitute immigration advice.

Zhonor

Post by Zhonor » Sun Oct 30, 2016 9:05 pm

Thank you for your update.

I sent my SAR form a few days after yours so I should receive mine this week hopefully.

I did my LIUK test 3 years ago so hopefully it is still valid as I was told there is no expiry date on it.

LilyLalilu

Post by LilyLalilu » Sun Oct 30, 2016 11:04 pm

I did my LIUK test 3 years ago so hopefully it is still valid as I was told there is no expiry date on it.
Correct, LIUK test does not expire.
All information given is just my opinion as a member of this forum and does not constitute immigration advice.

Zhonor

Post by Zhonor » Thu Nov 03, 2016 6:06 pm

Dear all,

I've received my fast track SAR and it did say the date I acquired my permanent residency (like at the end of the bunch of documents).

Thank you so much for this fabulous tip.

I only have to wait until our 6th marriage anniversary and I can proceed to apply for BC.

mizer
Morocco

Post by mizer » Sat Nov 05, 2016 1:38 pm

i recently apply for SAR for find out the acquired PR date!
they gave me all the stages of my PR progress but not the the acquired PR date
as i didn't know that is better to ask the question directly rather then let them give you what they want
i would like to apply again with fast track SAR and ask them only two question:
-)the date i acquired the permanent resident
-) the date when i become legal on this country( I entered illegally)

do you think i can apply for the second time after first SAR sent to me
2 weeks ago?

Right
Bulgaria

Post by Right » Mon Nov 07, 2016 12:21 am

johnkk wrote:I can now confirm that fast track SAR gives you the PR details - I got a copy of all caseworker notes entered into the CID database, including date of acquiring PR.
It took exactly 20 working days to receive the reply ( 1 calendar month )
Hi. Very useful thread and great to know it can be done with the ffast track SAR. Is there anything specific I need to fill in for the SAR to make sure I get the date from which my permanent residence has started?

hellothere19

Post by hellothere19 » Tue Nov 22, 2016 11:43 am

Good to hear you were all successful with the fast track!
I took the long route, as my fast track came without a PR date and got a reply yesterday, 40 days wait

First of all, the letter they wrote is

"We refer to your specific request for evidence of PR prior to 2016. Unfortunately we do not have any records for you prior to 2016 which are enclosed herewith. It may be useful to understand that you claim to ahve been working and residing in UK since 2001 exercising your EEA Treaty Rights, therefor we would have no cause to hold any information on your until you formally applied for PR in 2016"

I only asked them to give me my PR date, as I provided evidence from 2008 onwards.
The Case record sheet states my full employment since 2009, and all evidence. I don't understand why the case worker decided my PR date is 1/3/2016.
I don't think it is worthwhile contacting HO re this date? By the time they read/react/correct it it might be March 2017.
I know I am entitled to already apply for PR, but to avoid any hiccups with my application, it might be better to wait till March ?
Dual national since Jan 2018 :) Belgian and British

ohara
Diamond Member

Post by ohara » Tue Nov 22, 2016 11:49 am

hellothere19 wrote:but to avoid any hiccups with my application, it might be better to wait till March ?
I think this is your best bet. Pointless fighting them on this when you could just do nothing and wait 4 months.

maxima12
Newly Registered

Post by maxima12 » Wed Nov 23, 2016 5:47 pm

Hi, I'm also at the stage having received my DCPR recently needing to find out my PR date.

My local NCS didn't know what I was talking about when I asked them whether they ring the Home Office about the PR date during the appointment, even when I explained it to them, so decided to find out myself via SAR.

I sent a full SAR request a week later, asking in the 'Specific Data' section: "I would like to know the date I acquired Permanent Residence Status (i.e. NOT the date I was issued the Document Certifying Permanent Residence)".

Received a reply about two weeks later saying: "We are unable to find any trace of the information you have asked for in our records. It is probable that at some stage these were destroyed. We have now completed our action on your SAR request under the Data Protection Act 1998. If you are not satisfied with our response you can seek a review by writing to Customer Service Team, Subject Access Request Unit, 17th floor Lunar House, Croydon CR9 2BY."

Their response is obviously nonsense - I must have a PR date otherwise I wouldn't have the DCPR! Not sure what to do now though:

- Shall I send a reply to their fax number?
I'm not sure whether they respond as they say the matter is closed to them.

- Has anyone had success contacting the SAR team via email (subjectaccessrequest@homeoffice.gsi.gov.uk)?

- Shall I contact the Customer Services Team and tell them that there must be a PR date?
If so, do I need to give them their reference number, all my details including another certified copy of my passport (£25 at my solicitor's)?

- Shall I simply try another SAR, fast-track or full?
In which case, as above, I will need another certified copy etc. Also, since the person dealing with the recent request seemingly didn't understand what I was asking for, how to word the request?
Write 'Date PR was acquired from Caseworker Information Database' or 'caseworker notes entered into the CID database, including date of acquiring PR '?
Or better to simply request all the data that they have on me (i.e. tick Printouts from our computerised database including some case worker notes etc.)?

I wanted to hand in my citizenship application before February/March - factoring in further wrong responses by the Home Office and repeated applications that it will take months. Maybe I should try several avenues at once (customer services, fax, email)? What are people's experiences?

Thanks.

LilyLalilu

Post by LilyLalilu » Wed Nov 23, 2016 5:52 pm

I never asked for the PR date specifically, I worried it would confuse them too much^^ After all, the staff working in the SAR unit may not have any immigration-related knowledge, that's not really their job.
On the docs that come back with the SAR, the PR date is recorded under the 'entitlement' section, maybe that's why they don't get what you need when you asked for your PR date, who knows.

I simply sent a fast-track SAR asking for 'all data held about me on the Caseworker Information Database'
Got about 11 pages back, p.5 had one little phrase with the acquired PR date on it.

Maybe just do another SAR - I'd recommend the fast-track one as it's free and you do not need a certified ID copy, normal photocopies suffice. Mine also came back after 15 calendar days - super fast!!

maxima12
Newly Registered

Post by maxima12 » Wed Nov 23, 2016 6:37 pm

Thanks LilyLalilu

That's helpful to know that they might not have any immigration related knowledge. It might be best to submit another SAR then.

I did submit a fast-track one in spring this year, before submitting the EEA PR, as I wanted to find out what information they held about my absences from the UK, landing cards etc. Do you or anyone else know whether it's to submit another one now?

LilyLalilu

Post by LilyLalilu » Wed Nov 23, 2016 6:41 pm

I did submit a fast-track one in spring this year, before submitting the EEA PR, as I wanted to find out what information they held about my absences from the UK, landing cards etc. Do you or anyone else know whether it's to submit another one now?
This was also my second SAR so should be fine - I think as long as you don't submit one every month just for the fun of it they won't mind :D

maxima12
Newly Registered

Post by maxima12 » Wed Nov 23, 2016 7:10 pm

Thanks again, LilyLalilu

That's good to know, I will do that then. It will be my third one this year, so perhaps I will wait until beginning of December so it's 'every other month'! :D

Right
Bulgaria

Post by Right » Sat Dec 03, 2016 9:04 pm

Hi maxima12 and LilyLalilu. I have just received a reply to my SAR today (quite quick, only 3 weeks) but did not get what I needed i.e. my PR date.

I also used similar language to maxima12 in my request and ticked the IT records box only. Wha appears to have happened is they have not sent me the full 'Minute/Case Notes' for my recent DCPR application.

I have 6 and 4 pages for my earlier application while the Page X out of X for my DCPR application is weirdly blacked out and there's only a page and a third worth of notes which does not seem right. The section 'ENTITLEMENT' which I have seen on a screenshot on this forum as well as the ones called 'TREATY RIGHTS' and 'INSTRUCTIONS TO SHA' seem to have been omitted which I suspect means the extract was incomplete.

I might submit a new SAR with all boxes ticked and a more general request of 'give me all the information you hold on me' to make sure. If I still don't get it after, I might have to try and talk to someone.

dapto10

Post by dapto10 » Sun Dec 04, 2016 12:12 am

I used that service a while ago and what I did was to write a specific request in the second section of the SAR application form where I specifically asked for the date on which I have acquired PR status in the UK. I didn't use the first section at all, didn't tick on any boxes there.

They came back to me 4 weeks later with 4 pages of screen shots, basically my whole EEA PR case with all the notes from the caseworker and another page that looks more like a police file called EEA National Checksheet. It had my photograph on top, my personal details, the details from the machine readable zone of my DCPR vignete and the date of my application.

Asking specifially for the PR date worked in my case.