ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

British Citizenship Double Decent Question

A section for posts relating to applications for Naturalisation or Registration as a British Citizen. Naturalisation

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe

Rockman1974
Newly Registered

British Citizenship Double Decent Question

Post by Rockman1974 » Thu Feb 09, 2017 2:53 pm

Good day all,

I will try and be as precise as possible with the information I provide in hope someone can point me in the right direction for potentially applying for dual citizenship if at all possible. I was born in 1981 in Canada (a Commonwealth country) to parents that were also born in Canada in 1953.

My grandmother was born in 1922 while her parents were on vacation in Niagara Falls Canada. She lived in the UK from her birth in 1922 all throughout World War II and even married in the UK in 1944 before moving to Canada. She held dual citizenship for many years thereafter. Her first-born child was even born in the UK; i.e. my uncle.

Her parents (my great grandparents) were both born in the UK as well.

I have read that depending on when you were born, in my case 1981, thus before '83, that there are different standards pertaining to something called Double Decent however I can't seem to find very much information about this. I have found some sites online that charge a decent amount of money to further investigate, however I am not sure what course of action I should take at this time.

Any assistance you can provide would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers,

-Jarrod

alterhase58
Germany

Re: British Citizenship Double Decent Question

Post by alterhase58 » Thu Feb 09, 2017 3:39 pm

Perhaps you could start here:
https://www.gov.uk/government/uploads/s ... pter20.pdf
Other members will likely respond in more detail.
This is just my opinion as a member of this forum and does not constitute immigration advice.
Please do not send me private messages asking for advice.

noajthan

Post by noajthan » Thu Feb 09, 2017 3:47 pm

MN1 guide on Sections 3(2) & 3(5) of BNA explains it further:
https://www.gov.uk/government/uploads/s ... y_2017.pdf

Unfortunately as you are over age 15 the avenue is now closed.

You could look at ancestry visa instead.
All that is gold does not glitter; Not all those who wander are lost. E&OE.

CR001
Mood:
South Africa

Post by CR001 » Thu Feb 09, 2017 3:57 pm

noajthan wrote:MN1 guide on Sections 3(2) & 3(5) of BNA explains it further:
https://www.gov.uk/government/uploads/s ... y_2017.pdf

Unfortunately as you are over age 15 the avenue is now closed.

You could look at ancestry visa instead.
Grandmother was born in Niagra Falls if I understand the post correctly, so Ancestry visa would not be relevant as it has to be a UK born grandparent.
Char (CR001 not Casa)
In life you cannot press the Backspace button!!
Please DO NOT send me a PM for immigration advice. I reserve the right to ignore the PM and not respond.

secret.simon

Post by secret.simon » Thu Feb 09, 2017 4:54 pm

CR001 wrote:Grandmother was born in Niagra Falls if I understand the post correctly, so Ancestry visa would not be relevant as it has to be a UK born grandparent.
CR001 is correct. As the grandmother is born outside the UK (as now), Ancestry visa is not an option.

Was the grandmother that you talk about your paternal or maternal grandmother?

When and where was the relevant parent (your grandmother's child) born (month and year)?

Your uncle would have been a CUKC and later a British citizen by birth in the UK. His children would be British citizens by descent.

if you are so inclined, you can also go through the British Nationality Summary and a short history of the British Nationality Acts on the gov.uk website.
I am not a lawyer or immigration advisor. My statements/comments do not constitute legal advice. E&OE. Please do not PM me for advice.