ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

British Passport for child of EEA national

A section for posts relating to applications for Naturalisation or Registration as a British Citizen. Naturalisation

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe

Kamila
Newly Registered

NOT SURE IF THIS IS THE RIGHT PLACE PLEASE HELP

Post by Kamila » Mon Apr 03, 2017 11:00 am

Hi,
I've been living in the UK 13 years and last year have obtained the citizenship with my husband. Now I applied for my kids British passports, they're 8&6, as I learnt they would be eligible as I have exercised the treaty rights. In Jan 2004 I came on student visa, working part time till Aug 2004 and then I started full time work. I have provided all p45s and p60s to passport office with the applications ( made 5 months ago). They're recent query is about benefits which I never claimed. I called HMRC and DWP but they told me they don't issue letters confirming no benefits claimed. But paaspodt office insists I need to provide Subject Access Request. Now this is getting tricky as I'm out of the country for couple of months in New Zealand and I don't have current address in the UK as we are renting. My question is how to deal with this? Is it right for passport office to request this? DWP told me passpprt office has a department wbo checks out people on benefits and the letter shouldn't be required. How can I obtain SAR being on the other side of the globe..? Please give some ideas.
Many thanks x

vinny

Re: NOT SURE IF THIS IS THE RIGHT PLACE PLEASE HELP

Post by vinny » Mon Apr 03, 2017 11:33 am

You should show that you had automatically acquired PR prior to the births of your children. What 5-year qualifying period did you choose when you had applied for confirmation of PR?
This is not intended to be legal or professional advice in any jurisdiction. Please click on any given links for further information. Refer to the source of any quotes.
We do not inherit the Earth from our ancestors, we borrow it from our children.

vinny

Post by vinny » Mon Apr 03, 2017 11:41 am

This is not intended to be legal or professional advice in any jurisdiction. Please click on any given links for further information. Refer to the source of any quotes.

Kamila
Newly Registered

Post by Kamila » Tue Apr 04, 2017 5:38 am

vinny wrote:You should show that you had automatically acquired PR prior to the births of your children. What 5-year qualifying period did you choose when you had applied for confirmation of PR?
I thought it counts from the beginning-Jan 2004 as my eldest daughter was born in Apr 2009. I have been registered with WRS since it was introduced and in Feb 2006 I've received my residence card.

I thought because of all the papers in place and kids being born in the uk - they are entitled to british passport.

vinny

Post by vinny » Tue Apr 04, 2017 6:22 am

The children are British, if you had automatically acquire PR before the children's births.

Perhaps the simplest for the children: Application for confirmation of British nationality status: form NS?

Or if you choose the period between 2004 and 2009, when you applied for confirmation of PR, then apply for SAR from Home Office to see if they confirm when you actually acquired PR.

Kamila
Newly Registered

Post by Kamila » Tue Apr 04, 2017 11:49 am

Thank you.
That's what I thought and I have provided my blue residents card to passport office.
I don't understand why they cannot obtain info from DWP directly surely it would be easier.

Kamila
Newly Registered

British Passport for child of EEA national

Post by Kamila » Thu Oct 26, 2017 10:07 am

Please help
I applied for British passport for my daughter who was born in April 2009, for 5 years prior to that I have been exercising EU treaty, I came to UK in January 2004 on student visa; which I've been told also counts as "exercising treaty rights". But HMPO has requested I need to provide Comprehensive Sickness Insurance for that period. I have tried to tell them this was not a requirement in 2004 therefore I didn't have it. Can someone please advise me on that? Thanks x

JAJ
Australia

Re: British Passport for child of EEA national

Post by JAJ » Sun Oct 29, 2017 5:07 am

Assuming you are from an A8 accession country, you arrived in January 2004 with a student visa and effectively switched to EEA status on 1 May 2004. The current EEA Immigration Regulations came into force on 30 April 2006- these do require Comprehensive Sickness Insurance for those exercising Treaty Rights as students. As I understand it- an immigration solicitor could confirm- time spent legally in the U.K. under the U.K. rules could count towards Permanent Residence under the EEA Regulations but only if otherwise meeting the requirements of the Regulations.

Based on this- it's not clear how you could have attained Permanent Residence before your daughter was born in April 2009 and as a result, it's likely to be simplest to register her as British using form MN1. (U.K. born child under 18 with a parent who has subsequently become a British citizen or settled).
https://www.gov.uk/government/publicati ... n-form-mn1

Regarding your younger child, if you can show you obtained PR before he or she was born it would be safest to use form NS to get him a Certificate of British Nationality Status which can then be used to apply for a British passport. Otherwise it would be necessary to register child as British using form MN1.

Does your PR documentation state the date on which you are considered to have become a Permanent Resident? Same applies to your husband. He may have become a Permanent Resident on a different date. Only one of you needs to show PR before April 2009 in order for your daughter to be automatically British.
This is not intended to be legal or professional advice in any jurisdiction.

Kamila
Newly Registered

Post by Kamila » Sun Oct 29, 2017 8:16 pm

Thanks for that. Yes I am from Poland and I never applied for PR. I got Residence Permit card in 2006 I rememeber at the time someone told meit was like PR but it doesn't seem like it.
I think it's very unfair to require CSI from people who were on student visa in 2004 when CSI was not a legal requirement.
I was also part time employed at the time.

Kamila
Newly Registered

Post by Kamila » Sun Oct 29, 2017 8:21 pm

Thanks for that. Yes I am from Poland and I never applied for PR. I got Residence Permit card in 2006 I rememeber at the time someone told meit was like PR but it doesn't seem like it.
I think it's very unfair to require CSI from people who were on student visa in 2004 when CSI was not a legal requirement.
I was also part time employed at the time.