ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Applying First British Adult Passport Overseas

A section for posts relating to applications for Naturalisation or Registration as a British Citizen. Naturalisation

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe

mir1984
Newly Registered
Wales

Applying First British Adult Passport Overseas

Post by mir1984 » Sat Nov 11, 2017 5:01 pm

Dear Gurus /Members

I am born to a British Mother in 1990 and my Mother got the British Citizenship by Naturalisation in 1960. I am 27 years old now but I have never applied for British Passport before. I have always lived and still living with my mother. I have the following documents with me:

1.My Mother's Naturalization certificate.
2. Her Valid British Passport
2. My Birth Certificate

What is the most appropriate procedure of applying a British Passport from overseas? And Normally how long does it take?

Casa

Re: Applying First British Adult Passport Overseas

Post by Casa » Sat Nov 11, 2017 5:19 pm

(Casa, not CR001)
Please don't send me PMs asking for immigration advice on posts that are on the open forum. If I haven't responded there, it's because I don't have the answer. I'm a moderator, not a legal professional.

JAJ
Australia

Re: Applying First British Adult Passport Overseas

Post by JAJ » Sun Nov 12, 2017 6:07 pm

I'd expect some investigation of identity status when a first passport application is made from overseas by someone claiming to be born to a mother naturalised as British in 1960.

Pre-1986 naturalisation certificates are no longer held by the Home Office and may not be replaceable if lost. Perhaps first see if a duplicate can be obtained from the National Archives? Also, it should be kept in a safe place with certified copies in a different location.
https://www.gov.uk/get-replacement-citi ... ertificate

There may also be some benefit to first obtaining a British consular birth certificate. Although unusual, I am not aware of any time limit on registration if British nationality was acquired at birth.
https://www.gov.uk/register-a-birth

In some countries obtaining a British passport will cause automatic loss of local citizenship.
This is not intended to be legal or professional advice in any jurisdiction.