ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

British Citizenship - New Online Application

A section for posts relating to applications for Naturalisation or Registration as a British Citizen. Naturalisation

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe

plabo
Member of Standing
Pakistan

Re: British Citizenship - New Online Application

Post by plabo » Sun Feb 04, 2018 6:45 pm

samkumar2018 wrote:
Sun Feb 04, 2018 4:28 pm
Dear members,
I am really indebted to thank in advance for your replies.

My daughter born on July 2017 and I got my ILR on Sep 2017 and applying for citizenship registration as well as passport. Planned to do via NCS.
I have completed the MN1 ( 2018 version) paper form and got the reference from my local GP doctor ( who I know for some years) and other from my neighbour . I have also completed the Passport application paper form and got the countersignature from the same GP doctor.
But today when I was browsing the NCS Hounslow website , I came to know this message.

From Tuesday 30 January 2018, we cannot accept bookings for NCS appointments in conjunction with British Passport using the Joint Citizenship and Passport Service (JCAP). The Joint Citizenship and Passport Service will be available to online applications only.

If you wish to use the Joint Citizenship and Passport Service, please submit your naturalization application online and make an appointment with us for the Nationality Document Return Service (NDRS) within 10 working days of submitting your form online. The NDRS service will be available from 30 January 2018. Further information will be added to our website in due course

I am literally confused now..
- do I need to fill online now really?( is joint application online is exempted for new borns etc)
- How do I have to take references..( can I use my paper references I already got from GP and neighbour)
-Itz been 7 months my daughter born and mot applied any dependent ILR or passport..so he is not holding any now...so what I need to mention in the online application
- How I should do the biometrics of my 7 moths old baby
- I am not sure if my GP and neighbour gonna do references again for us in the new online formats etc :(:(
- Do I need to fill online application for passport as well or still I need to use paper form and submit to NCS?
-At what point of time I need to take appointment in NCS..

CR001 or somebody's valuable guidance is highly thankful please

Sam
Read here:

https://www.gov.uk/government/collectio ... rn-service

Totara94
Newly Registered
New Zealand

Post by Totara94 » Mon Feb 05, 2018 2:32 am

plabo wrote:
Fri Feb 02, 2018 4:01 pm
Kabitte wrote:
Fri Feb 02, 2018 11:55 am
Eligibility criteria: indefinite leave to remain
Language Criteria: LIUK + Degree
Nationality - non EU
Method of application: online
Date of application: 31/12/17
Payment method: Debit card
Date of acknowledgement: 01/01/2018 via email
Date of debit of fees: 01/01/2018
Date of Biometric letter issued: 01/01/2018
Date of biometric letter received: 01/01/2018
Date Biometrics enrolled: 06/01/2018
Date on Approval letter: 30/01/2018
Date of receipt of approval: 01/02/2018
Date of receipt of ceremony letter:
Date of Ceremony:
Date of Passport Application:
Date of debit of fees:
Date Passport to be received:

exactly 1 month from application date to date of approval. this includes requesting of additional information which was proof of address. this added 4 days . otherwise the whole process would have taken 3 weeks and a bit.

Good luck everyone else who is waiting.
Why did they ask for proof of address?

You are Non EU right?

Which document did you send it for that?

Was proof of adress requested on the final documents check list or you have changed address within last 5 yrs or b/w ILR approval and naturalisation?

Also did you use NCS for this or sent in your original documents in the post?
Kabitte - it would be great to hear why they asked for proof of address? I didn't see that in the supporting documents checklist. Did you send a council tax bill? Did you use NCS or send original passport etc?

nachfee

Post by nachfee » Mon Feb 05, 2018 12:10 pm

Hello there!

I have something to share about this Online application and a question if anyone would be so kind to answer for me please!

I have check the gov.uk website that lists all councils offering the new National document return service and my council is not listed. This was implemented recently and my local council hasnt officialy confirmed they are starting to accept this new method.
I have called today and they could give a provisional appointment as they are getting their heads around it but very super helpful. I would suggest anyone wanting to go through the online service (in order to do the passport in conjuction) to call their local council to check if they are offering any appointments now even though they are not currently listed on the website: https://www.gov.uk/government/publicati ... outhampton

Also I got my head around it a bit
Book your appointment with your council. You have 10 working days to go to your council from the date you submitted your application. Therefore, it would be better to book your appointment and then 10 days or less before, fill your application.
You apply online and get your referees originals (with photos)
Go to appointment with council to certify your copies (keep documents)
Apply on the same day, for your British passport. Registrars have usually passport forms for you to fill
You need in total 3 photos (passports and application - referees section)
Send!

I think it's a good method. It cuts paperwork and possibly makes it more efficient.

QUESTION:
Online application asks for "date of issue" of your residence card. I got my letter, which came with the Residence card with different date:
'When did I acquire my permanent residence"
On the online form (Im not sure if there is another place to add this information)
Do I answer there my acquisition date OR issue date?

Many thanks in advance.

vinosubr
Newly Registered

Post by vinosubr » Tue Feb 06, 2018 11:45 am

Do we need to fill online Application in Upper case or can be in both Upper/lower case?

plabo
Member of Standing
Pakistan

Post by plabo » Tue Feb 06, 2018 2:02 pm

vinosubr wrote:
Tue Feb 06, 2018 11:45 am
Do we need to fill online Application in Upper case or can be in both Upper/lower case?
Will you like reading a 30 page document 'all in upper case'?

Totara94
Newly Registered
New Zealand

Post by Totara94 » Tue Feb 06, 2018 5:10 pm

If I select unmarried partner as relationship status, am I suppose to write their details in 'Current Partner'?

We are not married but have a child together. However the form keeps asking for our marriage dates etc in the 'Current Partner' section.

Zack1983
Newly Registered
Lebanon

Post by Zack1983 » Wed Feb 07, 2018 12:45 am

Dear All,

I'm filling in the online application now. At the end there is a list of the supporting documents.
The first group is
Mandatory documents

These documents are mandatory and you must provide them as part of your application. Tick the box to agree that you will provide each document: (Required)

1) The passport issued by (Applicant's Country) for (Name of Applicant)

My passport expired while it was with the home office and it still with them.

My question is how can I send my passport which is mandatory in the application while it's with the home office?

Regards,
Zack

vinosubr
Newly Registered

Post by vinosubr » Wed Feb 07, 2018 5:45 am

plabo wrote:
Tue Feb 06, 2018 2:02 pm
vinosubr wrote:
The query was because in AN application paper form its mentioned Please write in Block capital letter using black ink.

CR001
Mood:
South Africa

Post by CR001 » Wed Feb 07, 2018 8:23 am

vinosubr wrote:
Wed Feb 07, 2018 5:45 am
plabo wrote:
vinosubr wrote:

The query was because in AN application paper form its mentioned Please write in Block capital letter using black ink.
Writing in capitals and typing in capitals are different. A whole document of typed font with so much capitals would likely be tiring to read.
Char (CR001 not Casa)
In life you cannot press the Backspace button!!
Please DO NOT send me a PM for immigration advice. I reserve the right to ignore the PM and not respond.

Totara94
Newly Registered
New Zealand

Post by Totara94 » Wed Feb 07, 2018 9:59 am

CR001 wrote:
Wed Feb 07, 2018 8:23 am
vinosubr wrote:
plabo wrote:
vinosubr wrote:

Writing in capitals and typing in capitals are different. A whole document of typed font with so much capitals would likely be tiring to read.
The AN Guide says "You must ensure that your name, date of birth, and the place and country where you were born are clearly written in BLOCK LETTERS, in black ink. These details will be shown on your certificate."

When I filled in the online form, it will let you write your name and city in BLOCK LETTERS, but country is a dropdown and automatically reverts to lower case. Date is numeric and converts into lower case.

plabo
Member of Standing
Pakistan

Post by plabo » Wed Feb 07, 2018 11:41 am

Totara94 wrote:
Wed Feb 07, 2018 9:59 am
CR001 wrote:
Wed Feb 07, 2018 8:23 am
vinosubr wrote:
plabo wrote:

The AN Guide says "You must ensure that your name, date of birth, and the place and country where you were born are clearly written in BLOCK LETTERS, in black ink. These details will be shown on your certificate."

When I filled in the online form, it will let you write your name and city in BLOCK LETTERS, but country is a dropdown and automatically reverts to lower case. Date is numeric and converts into lower case.
Does it really matter when the form is electronic now and the data will be uploaded digitally?

SUMEETJ

Post by SUMEETJ » Wed Feb 07, 2018 4:18 pm

I called up Wokingham Council. Unfortunately, though they are mentioned as one of the councils supporting the online application, they mentioned that have put this service on hold.

https://www.gov.uk/government/publicati ... rn-service

On the positive side, they mentioned that they might start this service in the future, but cannot confirm when will they start offering this.

So looks like, for it to evolve as a standard process, across all councils, it will still take a bit of time.

Can someone, who has applied successfully, using this route, advise, which councils are offering this service?

samkumar2018
Newly Registered
India

Post by samkumar2018 » Wed Feb 07, 2018 4:30 pm

plabo wrote:
Sun Feb 04, 2018 6:45 pm
samkumar2018 wrote:
Sun Feb 04, 2018 4:28 pm
Dear members,
I am really indebted to thank in advance for your replies.

My daughter born on July 2017 and I got my ILR on Sep 2017 and applying for citizenship registration as well as passport. Planned to do via NCS.
I have completed the MN1 ( 2018 version) paper form and got the reference from my local GP doctor ( who I know for some years) and other from my neighbour . I have also completed the Passport application paper form and got the countersignature from the same GP doctor.
But today when I was browsing the NCS Hounslow website , I came to know this message.

From Tuesday 30 January 2018, we cannot accept bookings for NCS appointments in conjunction with British Passport using the Joint Citizenship and Passport Service (JCAP). The Joint Citizenship and Passport Service will be available to online applications only.

If you wish to use the Joint Citizenship and Passport Service, please submit your naturalization application online and make an appointment with us for the Nationality Document Return Service (NDRS) within 10 working days of submitting your form online. The NDRS service will be available from 30 January 2018. Further information will be added to our website in due course

I am literally confused now..
- do I need to fill online now really?( is joint application online is exempted for new borns etc)
- How do I have to take references..( can I use my paper references I already got from GP and neighbour)
-Itz been 7 months my daughter born and mot applied any dependent ILR or passport..so he is not holding any now...so what I need to mention in the online application
- How I should do the biometrics of my 7 moths old baby
- I am not sure if my GP and neighbour gonna do references again for us in the new online formats etc :(:(
- Do I need to fill online application for passport as well or still I need to use paper form and submit to NCS?
-At what point of time I need to take appointment in NCS..

CR001 or somebody's valuable guidance is highly thankful please

Sam
Read here:

Many thanks ..I read the link and lot much clear..thanks again

samkumar2018
Newly Registered
India

Post by samkumar2018 » Wed Feb 07, 2018 4:44 pm

Dear ones ,
I have almost filled the online application of BC MN1 for my 7 months old child
I have two questions though , great somebody can clarify:
1. one of the mandatory document list ( tick box) says:
If Miss X has a passport submit it , if does not have, then you must provide another officially issued identity document. This could an official travel document or national identity card..
My baby doesn't have either .. we have registered her birth and have the birth certificate from the council other than that we dont have any ..
wondering what to give ..if not will it impact the application

2. In the final declaration form , it says the follwing
I confirm that: (Required)

I am the applicant

I am a representative of the applicant and have been authorised to act on their behalf and have discussed and confirmed the contents of this application with them

As I am filling for my baby, do i need to select option 2 ?

thanks a lot
Sam

vinosubr
Newly Registered

Post by vinosubr » Thu Feb 08, 2018 7:52 am

Query on NDRS Application.
In online Application whats the options chosen for "Are you Able to Provide BRP with this Application". Did you guys give the Original BRP VISA at Council to be sent to Home Office?

samkumar2018
Newly Registered
India

Post by samkumar2018 » Thu Feb 08, 2018 9:07 am

samkumar2018 wrote:
Wed Feb 07, 2018 4:44 pm
Dear ones ,
If Miss X has a passport submit it , if does not have, then you must provide another officially issued identity document. This could an official travel document or national identity card..
My baby doesn't have either .. we have registered her birth and have the birth certificate from the council other than that we dont have any ..

I am the applicant

I am a representative of the applicant and have been authorised to act on their behalf and have discussed and confirmed the contents of this application with them

thanks a lot
Sam
can somebody please help, I have appointment in 2 days time ..I am really thankful for your replies
sam

plabo
Member of Standing
Pakistan

Post by plabo » Thu Feb 08, 2018 12:17 pm

vinosubr wrote:
Thu Feb 08, 2018 7:52 am
In online Application whats the options chosen for "Are you Able to Provide BRP with this Application". Did you guys give the Original BRP VISA at Council to be sent to Home Office?
No, take original with you and council will copy and return back original.

plabo
Member of Standing
Pakistan

Post by plabo » Thu Feb 08, 2018 12:19 pm

samkumar2018 wrote:
Thu Feb 08, 2018 9:07 am
samkumar2018 wrote:
Dear ones ,

I am the applicant

thanks a lot
Sam
can somebody please help, I have appointment in 2 days time ..I am really thankful for your replies
sam
Take original birth certificate to council and explain to HO on covering letter.

Tick option 1, option 2 is for lawyer etc acting on your behalf.

samkumar2018
Newly Registered
India

Post by samkumar2018 » Thu Feb 08, 2018 1:37 pm

plabo wrote:
Thu Feb 08, 2018 12:19 pm
samkumar2018 wrote:
Thu Feb 08, 2018 9:07 am
samkumar2018 wrote:
Dear ones ,

I am the applicant

thanks a lot
Sam
sam
Take original birth certificate to council and explain to HO on covering letter.

Tick option 1, option 2 is for lawyer etc acting on your behalf.
OK Many thanks Plabo

mk819
Newly Registered

Post by mk819 » Fri Feb 09, 2018 12:10 pm

Hi all, Thanks all for shairing ur experiences, sorry if i m asking the same question over again,
Just trying to undestand this new online sytem

So my passport will go and stay with HO till my case in under consideration with new online system?

with the NCS system biometric letter comes after they post all my docs to HO and payment get process the usual way?
and finally with NCS i can keep my passport ,Biometic PR and can travel while all in process?

Many Thanks all

mk819
Newly Registered

Post by mk819 » Fri Feb 09, 2018 2:45 pm

nachfee wrote:
Mon Feb 05, 2018 12:10 pm
Hello there!

I have something to share about this Online application and a question if anyone would be so kind to answer for me please!

I have check the gov.uk website that lists all councils offering the new National document return service and my council is not listed. This was implemented recently and my local council hasnt officialy confirmed they are starting to accept this new method.
I have called today and they could give a provisional appointment as they are getting their heads around it but very super helpful. I would suggest anyone wanting to go through the online service (in order to do the passport in conjuction) to call their local council to check if they are offering any appointments now even though they are not currently listed on the website: https://www.gov.uk/government/publicati ... outhampton

Book your appointment with your council. You have 10 working days to go to your council from the date you submitted your application. Therefore, it would be better to book your appointment and then 10 days or less before, fill your application.
Apply on the same day, for your British passport. Registrars have usually passport forms for you to fill
Send!

I think it's a good method. It cuts paperwork and possibly makes it more efficient.

QUESTION:
Online application asks for "date of issue" of your residence card. I got my letter, which came with the Residence card with different date:
On the online form (Im not sure if there is another place to add this information)

Many thanks in advance.
Many thanks for your valueable information , i do have the same case but if i was filling the form now i would enter the actuall issue date and then add the copy of decesion letter and also add in my own words where possible about the date of acquisition. Hope thats helps

mk819
Newly Registered

Post by mk819 » Fri Feb 09, 2018 2:51 pm

vinosubr wrote:
Thu Feb 08, 2018 7:52 am
Up to My understanding and on coucil website i found this

The Nationality Document Return Service (NDRS) is an optional service for applicants who have made an online application for British Citizenship. We will photocopy and certify your documents and send them to the Home Office so you can keep the originals, including your passport. You can also use the Joint Citizenship and Passport (JCAP) service if you are using NDRS.

The Nationality Document Return Service (NDRS):

allows people applying for British Citizenship online to keep their passports and original documents whilst their application is being processed by UK Visas and Immigration.
copies and certifies your documents and ensures secure, swift and safe submission by Royal Mail next-day Special Delivery.
Please note:

this service can only be used by applicants who have made an online application for British Citizenship using the AN and MN1 form (if you are applying using a different form you may use the Nationality Checking Service)
we are not able to offer advice and all advice should have been sought before contacting us. If you need advice please contact UK Visas and Immigration directly.
The advantage of using this service is that your passport remains safely with you and you can apply for the British passport at the same time (JCAP).

nachfee

Post by nachfee » Fri Feb 09, 2018 6:16 pm

mk819 wrote:
Fri Feb 09, 2018 2:45 pm
nachfee wrote:
Hello there!

Send!

QUESTION:

Many thanks in advance.
Many thanks for your valueable information , i do have the same case but if i was filling the form now i would enter the actuall issue date and then add the copy of decesion letter and also add in my own words where possible about the date of acquisition. Hope thats helps

Thank you for your answer!
I have called HO and said I should write the "acquisition date" but I will probably call the council that was doing the previous service and see if they may know. Its a bit difficult to understand... I am not sure if it matters at the end what date you add on this bit as it is always the acquisition date that matters. Im just worried that if I had the actual issue date which is 24/10/2017 they may immediately stop reading my application when my acquisition date is 14/11/2014!

I might still just write my acquisition date.

mk819
Newly Registered

Post by mk819 » Fri Feb 09, 2018 6:46 pm

nachfee wrote:
Fri Feb 09, 2018 6:16 pm
mk819 wrote:
Fri Feb 09, 2018 2:45 pm
nachfee wrote:
Hello there!

Send!

QUESTION:

Many thanks in advance.

Thank you for your answer!
I have called HO and said I should write the "acquisition date" but I will probably call the council that was doing the previous service and see if they may know. Its a bit difficult to understand... I am not sure if it matters at the end what date you add on this bit as it is always the acquisition date that matters. Im just worried that if I had the actual issue date which is 24/10/2017 they may immediately stop reading my application when my acquisition date is 14/11/2014!

I might still just write my acquisition date.
You have called the HO ? and what did they say use acquisition date ?
you have a point with ur date and they stop reading it .... bur i came accross few eaxmples on HO website where they say u can apply starightaway if you are 6 yrs or more, but issue date cant be the date to acquisation , that only my opinion.

Totara94
Newly Registered
New Zealand

Post by Totara94 » Sat Feb 10, 2018 5:37 am

I submitted my online application on 7th February and did my biometrics at the post office the same day (I immediately received the biometrics email after payment. Make sure you have a good printer, they had trouble reading the bar code on my letter at the Post Office but luckily it worked. You can't do the biometrics if their machine can't read the barcode). I found a lot of councils published the NDRS service on their websites but after calling they actually didn't know how to use the new system yet (I called Lewisham, Camden, Southwark) but Kensington and Chelsea Council understood and was already using the new system. I called a week before I submitted my online application and made an appointment with them on 9th February (make sure you get a appointment confirmation email with the address for the actual appointment as it's not the same location as the payment receipt and I went to the wrong address. Lucky I was early!). This gave me a couple days to get my biometrics and referees signed.

The online process was great, especially for receiving the biometrics letter and receiving the acknowledgement email for the application. I have posted my processing times on the following thread:

british-citizenship/naturalisation-appl ... -9500.html

The guy at the NDRS appointment was really helpful. He said with the NCS appointment they go through the whole application with you and check it before posting it to the HO, but they don't for the NDRS appointment because you have already submitted your application. He helped me with the passport application (don't fill it in ahead of time as you need to do it differently as you don't have your citizenship approved yet) and sent that in with my other documents. He said I should receive my passport within 20 days of the ceremony if my application is approved. I don't need to do anything else except book the ceremony if my application is approved. But if I don't receive my passport within 20 days, then I should call and check.

I have found this thread extremely helpful in submitting my application. Hopefully the info above is useful.