ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Citizenship refusal based on good character, any chance to reconsider?

A section for posts relating to applications for Naturalisation or Registration as a British Citizen. Naturalisation

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe

Seekadvice
Newly Registered

Citizenship refusal based on good character, any chance to reconsider?

Post by Seekadvice » Fri Jul 13, 2018 1:55 pm

Hi, I wonder if you can advice me here?
My husband and I arrived in the UK March 2011 with student visa (husband was main applicant), soon after applied for asylum and was granted. We received 5 years leave to remain. Then we applied for ILR and was granted. Waited for 12 months and then applied for naturalism. After 3 month just received a letter saying both application were refused based on good character:
'Our enquiries into your application reveal that you arrived in the UK with student visa but later admitted your true reason was to claim asylum and not to return to your country. You therefore committed a breach of section 26 1 (c) of the 1971 immigration act (IA) (as amended) and committed an offence contrary to section 24(A)(1)(a) of the 1971 immigration act (as amended). In view of your actions you are advised that an application made before 12/09/2021 is unlikely to be successful.'
We are so disappointed. We have clear history here, highly educated (have PhD and work at university), work so hard, never claimed any housing benefits etc.
Is there any chance we can apply for reconsideration?
Many Thanks,

CR001
Mood:
South Africa

Re: Citizenship refusal based on good character, any chance to reconsider?

Post by CR001 » Fri Jul 13, 2018 2:10 pm

For the benefit of any member who can offer advice.
section 26 1 (c) of the 1971 immigration act (IA) (as amended)
Which says :
26 General offences in connection with administration of Act.
(1)A person shall be guilty of an offence punishable on summary conviction with a fine of not more than [F1[F2level 5] on the standard scale] or with imprisonment for not more than six months, or with both, in any of the following cases—
(a)if, without reasonable excuse, he refuses or fails to submit to examination under Schedule 2 to this Act;
(b)if, without reasonable excuse, he refuses or fails to furnish or produce any information in his possession, or any documents in his possession or control, which he is on an examination under that Schedule required to furnish or produce;
(c)if on any such examination or otherwise he makes or causes to be made to an immigration officer or other person lawfully acting in the execution of [F3a relevant enactment] a return, statement or representation which he knows to be false or does not believe to be true;
And...
committed an offence contrary to section 24(A)(1)(a) of the 1971 immigration act (as amended).
Link below.
https://www.legislation.gov.uk/ukpga/1971/77/section/24
Char (CR001 not Casa)
In life you cannot press the Backspace button!!
Please DO NOT send me a PM for immigration advice. I reserve the right to ignore the PM and not respond.

vinny

Post by vinny » Fri Jul 13, 2018 3:22 pm

They have the burden of proof that the student visas were falsely obtained.
Moreover, if they may grant refugees Naturalisation after an unlawful entry, then it seems unreasonable and contrary to policy to refuse you.
This is not intended to be legal or professional advice in any jurisdiction. Please click on any given links for further information. Refer to the source of any quotes.
We do not inherit the Earth from our ancestors, we borrow it from our children.

Sam1140
United States of America

Post by Sam1140 » Sat Jul 14, 2018 6:25 pm

Hiya

Are you going to appeal?

CR001
Mood:
South Africa

Post by CR001 » Sat Jul 14, 2018 8:30 pm

Sam1140 wrote:
Sat Jul 14, 2018 6:25 pm
Hiya

Are you going to appeal?
There is no appeal process for refused citizenship applications. There is only a request for reconsideration, costing almost £380 and no time limit to be completed.
Char (CR001 not Casa)
In life you cannot press the Backspace button!!
Please DO NOT send me a PM for immigration advice. I reserve the right to ignore the PM and not respond.

Sam1140
United States of America

Post by Sam1140 » Sun Jul 15, 2018 11:56 am

Thanks, CR001, undrestood

Seekadvice
Newly Registered

Post by Seekadvice » Sun Jul 15, 2018 1:07 pm

Hi, just wanted to know if anybody has ever done reconsideration based on good character?! If so if you ever got any reply back from HO?! Any success?! Do we have any chance?! Thanks

Sam1140
United States of America

Post by Sam1140 » Tue Jul 17, 2018 9:50 pm

Hi, I think it worth to request for reconsideration,

I hope you get the approval

Seekadvice
Newly Registered

Post by Seekadvice » Thu Jul 19, 2018 10:38 am

Thanks, but how should we defend our self in the reconsideration letter?! Has anyone had applied for reconsideration before and can advice how to write it ?!

cyclina1
Hong Kong

Post by cyclina1 » Fri Jul 20, 2018 10:59 am

'Our enquiries into your application reveal that you arrived in the UK with student visa but later admitted your true reason was to claim asylum and not to return to your country. You therefore committed a breach of section 26 1 (c) of the 1971 immigration act (IA) (as amended) and committed an offence contrary to section 24(A)(1)(a) of the 1971 immigration act (as amended).

then you need to counter-agrue that their decision is wrong, or they used the wrong rule to refuse you. Which you need someone really expert on this.
I am not a lawyer or immigration advisor. My statements/comments do not constitute legal advice.

cyclina1
Hong Kong

Post by cyclina1 » Fri Jul 20, 2018 11:03 am

vinny wrote:
Fri Jul 13, 2018 3:22 pm
They have the burden of proof that the student visas were falsely obtained.
Moreover, if they may grant refugees Naturalisation after an unlawful entry, then it seems unreasonable and contrary to policy to refuse you.
Actually a lot of cases get refused because of unlawful entry as well. And the HO can pick up the wrong doing anytime. I think the HO did have prove they were not genuinely for studying as in the decision letter also clearly mentioned that. I think they picked this up by the interview record when they applied asylum....

So the reconsideration is slim, in my opinion.
I am not a lawyer or immigration advisor. My statements/comments do not constitute legal advice.

vinny

Post by vinny » Fri Jul 20, 2018 12:28 pm

Seekadvice wrote:
Fri Jul 13, 2018 1:55 pm
We have clear history here, highly educated (have PhD and work at university), work so hard, never claimed any housing benefits etc.
If they had successfully completed their PhDs in the UK, then it would be difficult for the Home Office to claim that they were not genuine students in the UK.
This is not intended to be legal or professional advice in any jurisdiction. Please click on any given links for further information. Refer to the source of any quotes.

vinny

Post by vinny » Fri Jul 20, 2018 1:18 pm

The refusal seems to imply that students and asylum seekers are mutually exclusive.

But students are eligible to apply for asylum.

There is also nothing in the Tier 4 (General) rules to prevent the holder to apply for asylum.

Unlike the visitor rules, there also doesn't appear to be any rules under Tier 4 (General) that requires the holder intends to return to their home country upon completion of their leave. If there were, then all Tier 4 (General) holders would be unable to apply for ILR under Long residence.

Therefore, the above refusal of naturalisation under the Good Character gounds seems to be logically unjustifiable.

Seekadvice
Newly Registered

Post by Seekadvice » Fri Jul 20, 2018 1:54 pm

CR001 wrote:
Sat Jul 14, 2018 8:30 pm
Sam1140 wrote:
Sat Jul 14, 2018 6:25 pm
Hiya

There is no appeal process for refused citizenship applications. There is only a request for reconsideration, costing almost £380 and no time limit to be completed.

Could you please advice on how to write a Letter for Reconsideration in my case please?! thanks

babe_khyber
Member of Standing

Post by babe_khyber » Fri Jul 20, 2018 8:17 pm

Its up to you if you want to apply reconsideration request but in my personal point of view it is just a game of money and wast of time. I was refused in the beginning of 2016 and request for reconsideration but unfortunately after 18 months latter received again refused with attention for new application. Even durring my initial application the home office sent letter to our MP confirm any investigation has been completed and confirmed the home office didn't revealed any cause of concern about his good character. The appliy Pre Action Protocol and the home office didn't respond within 14 days that is why I decided to take the matter to high court and appliy for Judicial review application for Permission in January 2018 and still waiting for Permission. The home office reply to pre action letter last month instead of 14 day.
Don't wast money and time if you want to argument then take the matter to court for JR there is no proper appeal right.
Best wishes.
Baby khyber

Seekadvice
Newly Registered

Post by Seekadvice » Sun Jul 22, 2018 6:34 pm

babe_khyber wrote:
Fri Jul 20, 2018 8:17 pm
Its up to you if you want to apply reconsideration request but in my personal point of view it is just a game of money and wast of time. I was refused in the beginning of 2016 and request for reconsideration but unfortunately after 18 months latter received again refused with attention for new application. Even durring my initial application the home office sent letter to our MP confirm any investigation has been completed and confirmed the home office didn't revealed any cause of concern about his good character. The appliy Pre Action Protocol and the home office didn't respond within 14 days that is why I decided to take the matter to high court and appliy for Judicial review application for Permission in January 2018 and still waiting for Permission. The home office reply to pre action letter last month instead of 14 day.
Don't wast money and time if you want to argument then take the matter to court for JR there is no proper appeal right.
Best wishes.
Baby khyber
Thanks, I gather the HO refused your case based on good character, but what was their reason(s) saying that?

Sam1140
United States of America

Post by Sam1140 » Thu Aug 16, 2018 7:11 pm

Hi Seekadvice

Just a quick question

Has passport fee deducted from your account? Just wondering if the refusal still can be given after the passport fee deduction

thanks

Seekadvice
Newly Registered

Post by Seekadvice » Sat Aug 18, 2018 12:40 pm

Sam1140 wrote:
Thu Aug 16, 2018 7:11 pm
Hi Seekadvice

Just a quick question

Has passport fee deducted from your account? Just wondering if the refusal still can be given after the passport fee deduction

thanks
Yes Passport fee was deducted few days after the application was submitted.