ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

BRP - return or hold?

A section for posts relating to applications for Naturalisation or Registration as a British Citizen. Naturalisation

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe

abhijack

BRP - return or hold?

Post by abhijack » Fri Aug 03, 2018 3:45 pm

I know this has been asked few times but would like some advice.

It is about documents we would need when renewing kids British passports.

2015 - Child 1 - got british passport as born in UK and based on parents ILR stamp
2018 - Child 2 - currently applying for british passport as born in UK and based on parents ILR stamp.

02.08.2018 - both parents naturalized as British citizens.
Dad received BRP in between Child 1 and Child 2.

Both mum and dad would surrender uncancelled Indian passports soon as required by law.
However ILR for both parents is on cancelled old passport so that would stay with us.

So is it safe to send dad's BRP back as both parents would have expired Indian passport with ILR sticker? :roll:

atpat9
BANNED

Re: BRP - return or hold?

Post by atpat9 » Fri Aug 03, 2018 6:38 pm

You are required by law to return BRP within 5 days from date of ceremony. Fine upto 1000/
Keep certified copies of BRP and return.

Richard W
- thin ice -

Post by Richard W » Sat Aug 04, 2018 11:58 pm

abhijack wrote:
Fri Aug 03, 2018 3:45 pm
So is it safe to send dad's BRP back as both parents would have expired Indian passport with ILR sticker? :roll:
That seems safe enough, It is safe to comply with the law.

abhijack

Post by abhijack » Sun Aug 05, 2018 4:20 pm

atpat9 wrote:
Fri Aug 03, 2018 6:38 pm
You are required by law to return BRP within 5 days from date of ceremony. Fine upto 1000/
Keep certified copies of BRP and return.
Yes, I know about the 5 day rule. However, had seen discussions along the lines that you could keep if required for renewing childs passport at a later date.

By the way, how can I get a certified copy?
Richard W wrote:
Sat Aug 04, 2018 11:58 pm

That seems safe enough, It is safe to comply with the law.
Thanks. I think I will send it away.

Richard W
- thin ice -

Post by Richard W » Sun Aug 05, 2018 5:32 pm

abhijack wrote:
Sun Aug 05, 2018 4:20 pm
By the way, how can I get a certified copy?
That's a good technical question. Lawyers have a nice little earner of certifying photocopies they make as true copies. However, that rather misses the electronic security features of BRPs.

However, in your case, the old cancelled Indian passports with ILR affixed serve the rôle of the certified copies; such "copies" are good enough for re-entering the UK. (That is why I said it was safe for you to return your BRPs. In general, I agree with Vinny's view that one should retain the BRPs if that is the only evidence that someone is British.) However, with the oldest affixed ILR 'visas', one may need to use a paper clip to keep it in place, as the glue can fail. Both regluing and stapling are frowned upon.

Just to double check. When you got your BRPs, did you submit these passports, and did the Home Office deface the stickers in any way?

abhijack

Post by abhijack » Sun Aug 05, 2018 7:12 pm

Richard W wrote:
Sun Aug 05, 2018 5:32 pm

That's a good technical question. Lawyers have a nice little earner of certifying photocopies they make as true copies. However, that rather misses the electronic security features of BRPs.

However, in your case, the old cancelled Indian passports with ILR affixed serve the rôle of the certified copies; such "copies" are good enough for re-entering the UK. (That is why I said it was safe for you to return your BRPs. In general, I agree with Vinny's view that one should retain the BRPs if that is the only evidence that someone is British.) However, with the oldest affixed ILR 'visas', one may need to use a paper clip to keep it in place, as the glue can fail. Both regluing and stapling are frowned upon.

Just to double check. When you got your BRPs, did you submit these passports, and did the Home Office deface the stickers in any way?
Thanks for the suggestion to look at my ILR sticker.
It's not defaced but on the passport page that contains ILR sticker there is a note written with a pen which says "leave superseded by BRP card"

But then my wife didn't apply for a BRP and was using the ILR sticker on expired passport along with the current Indian passport to travel.
So she doesn't have a BRP and there is no note on her ILR sticker page.

If I remember I used her ILR for child one's British passport and I have used hers definitely for the second child.

So as per vinny's view if one chooses to retain BRP for such purposes do they need to send a declaration to HO regarding why they are not sending BRP?

abhijack

Post by abhijack » Sun Aug 05, 2018 7:13 pm

to add to the above post - the ILR start date is still loud and clear on the sticker and not defaced.