ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

British Citizenship for Irish Child

A section for posts relating to applications for Naturalisation or Registration as a British Citizen. Naturalisation

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe

Wijji88
Newly Registered
Ireland

British Citizenship for Irish Child

Post by Wijji88 » Mon Sep 24, 2018 10:46 am

I need some information regarding the British Citizenship. Is it true that Irish people can apply for British Citizenship without the time limit for residency? I do not think it is true but wanted to check.For example, if we [a non-EU family] move to UK or NI , can we apply for British citizenship for our Irish son who was born in Republic of Ireland?

secret.simon

Re: British Citizenship for Irish Child

Post by secret.simon » Mon Sep 24, 2018 11:00 am

Wijji88 wrote:
Mon Sep 24, 2018 10:46 am
Is it true that Irish people can apply for British Citizenship without the time limit for residency?
No. Irish citizens still require five years of residence in the UK (and being an adult) in order to apply for naturalisation. There are no separate provision for acquisition of British citizenship by an Irish child that I am aware of.

Irish citizens are treated as settled on arrival, which means that they are treated as the equivalent of having ILR under the UK Immigration Rules on arrival.

If you move to the UK (including NI) with your Irish citizen child, you can apply to stay in the UK with a Chen derivative rights Residence Card(equivalent to the Zambrano status that you hold in Ireland currently). Be aware that the future of those rights is in doubt as they are not protected by the draft Withdrawal agreement between the UK and the EU. Also, even if they survive, derivative rights residence does not lead to PR or British citizenship and your right to reside in the UK will end when your Irish citizen child turns 18.
I am not a lawyer or immigration advisor. My statements/comments do not constitute legal advice. E&OE. Please do not PM me for advice.