ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Can I pass on my British citizenship to my child?

A section for posts relating to applications for Naturalisation or Registration as a British Citizen. Naturalisation

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe

jobe35
Newly Registered
Mood:

Can I pass on my British citizenship to my child?

Post by jobe35 » Thu Feb 14, 2019 12:25 am

Hi all,

Firstly I apologise in advance if I have created a new conversation about something already posted. I did have a look for a similar post but couldn't find anything. Also this is the first forum post I have ever done.

My question is as follows. Can I automatically pass on my citizenship to my daughter? Some background information as to why I am a little confused.

1. I am British citizen (41 years old) currently working in China for the last few years
2. Registered British at birth (1977) in South Africa as parents were working there for a few years.
3. Both parents are British born and bred, and their parents and grandparents are all born and bred, British citizens.
4. My daughter was born in China (2014)
5. She is currently registered as Chinese citizen with Chinese passport.

Because my citizenship was granted because of my fathers nationality as I was born outside the UK, I have been advised I might not be able to pass my citizenship on to my daughter automatically.

I have rang the passport office and also the department dealing with foreign applications and neither person who I contacted was able to give me a clear answer.

If anyone can advise the correct process I need to take I would be very appreciative.

vinny

Re: Can I pass on my British citizenship to my child?

Post by vinny » Thu Feb 14, 2019 12:45 am

Unfortunately, if you are British by descent, then you cannot automatically pass on British citizenship to your daughter.

However, she may be entitled to register.
This is not intended to be legal or professional advice in any jurisdiction. Please click on any given links for further information. Refer to the source of any quotes.
We do not inherit the Earth from our ancestors, we borrow it from our children.

secret.simon

Re: Can I pass on my British citizenship to my child?

Post by secret.simon » Thu Feb 14, 2019 1:07 am

As Vinny has advised above, your daughter does not automatically acquire British citizenship from you.

Have you at any time before the birth of your daughter lived for three continuous years in the UK? Do you have proof of having lived these three years in the UK (pay slips, benefit letters from government agencies, etc)?
I am not a lawyer or immigration advisor. My statements/comments do not constitute legal advice. E&OE. Please do not PM me for advice.