ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Certificate of Entitlement to the Right of Abode Query

A section for posts relating to applications for Naturalisation or Registration as a British Citizen. Naturalisation

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe

Nikolaieva
Newly Registered
Australia

Certificate of Entitlement to the Right of Abode Query

Post by Nikolaieva » Mon Mar 25, 2019 8:00 pm

Hi there immigrant community! Please help me understand if I have a claim to the RoA.
The following is my email to the Home Office and they got back to me saying read the guidelines or seek for advice from a registered immigration professional... if anyone dealt with this before and could advise on the best course of action - I would appreciate it a lot!

“...
I am writing with a hope to get clarification on a British citizenship matter and to find out weather I can apply for the certificate of entitlement to the right of abode.

I have done my research and a few things are still unclear, so I would really appreciate if you could please shed some light and/or point me in the right direction.

About myself:
POB: Australia
DOB: 14 Dec 1980

Mother:
POB: Malaysia
DOB: 16 Jul 1950

Father:
POB: Malta
DOB: 1947

My mother and my father became Australian Citizens in 1981

As my father Terence xxxxxx was born into a family of a Crown Servant (Warrant Officer) - awardee of the Long Service and Good conduct medal, his family travelled a lot. For example, one of his sisters was born in England and another one - in Palestine. They all were British subjects and held UK passports (according to their arrival cards into Australia). Leaving Malta at the age of 5, there is no record of my father becoming a citizen of Malta.

My great grandfather William xxxxxxx was also in a military (W.O I). Being born in Uk in 1882, he had joined the army at the age of 15, travelled with the troops and earned a few medals before having his son/my Grandfather (Ronald xxxxxxxxxxx) born in 1920.

So I am confused as to what basis of my application might be.

As you can see, all my ancestors had strong ties to the Crown and had never renounced their British Citizenship as such. It is due to the military character of my great grandfather and my grandfather’s travel arrangements that two generations were born in Malta. None of them got naturalised or registered in Malta - according to the official records.

I am in the UK now and hoping to settle in here. If you could assist with clarifying a few points for me, please - I will then be able to make an application...”

Cheers!

vinny

Re: Certificate of Entitlement to the Right of Abode Query

Post by vinny » Mon Mar 25, 2019 11:40 pm

If your father was automatically British otherwise than by descent under Section 4(2), then you may be British by descent?
This is not intended to be legal or professional advice in any jurisdiction. Please click on any given links for further information. Refer to the source of any quotes.
We do not inherit the Earth from our ancestors, we borrow it from our children.