ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Citizenship application

A section for posts relating to applications for Naturalisation or Registration as a British Citizen. Naturalisation

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe

saamna
Pakistan

Citizenship application

Post by saamna » Mon Mar 25, 2019 9:08 pm

CR001 : Hi again! I was a refugee till day before. Received ILR yesterday. NOW today somebody told me I can now apply for British passport/naturalization because I fill the following criteria;

Eligibility and fees
You can apply for British citizenship by ‘naturalisation’ if you:

are 18 or over
are married to, or in a civil partnership with, someone who is a British citizen
have lived in the UK for at least 3 years before the date of your application
You can apply as soon as you have one of the following:

a permanent residence document to prove you have permanent residence status
indefinite leave to remain in the UK
‘settled status’ (also known as ‘indefinite leave to remain under the EU Settlement Scheme’)
indefinite leave to enter the UK (permission to move to the UK permanently from abroad)
You must also:

prove you were in the UK exactly 3 years before the day the Home Office receives your application
prove your knowledge of English, Welsh or Scottish Gaelic
show you’ve passed the life in the UK test
be of good character - read the naturalisation guidance
This is one way to apply for British citizenship. Check if you’re eligible another way - including through the Windrush scheme.

Residency requirements
You should not have:

spent more than 270 days outside the UK during the 3 years before your application
spent more than 90 days outside the UK in the last 12 months
broken any UK immigration laws (for example living illegally in the UK)
You may be exempt from the residency requirements if your partner works abroad either for the UK government or an organisation closely linked to government.

He sent me this link.. I am married to a British citizen. Does this apply to me. Plx guide.
Many thanks

zimba
Mood:

Re: Citizenship application

Post by zimba » Tue Mar 26, 2019 3:10 am

Yes. You can apply for British citizenship immediately as you are married to a British national. However you must not have been in breach of the immigration rules like having past periods of overstaying
Advice is given based on my personal research and experience only. Do NOT contact me via private message for immigration advice

saamna
Pakistan

Post by saamna » Tue Mar 26, 2019 5:42 am

Zimba wrote:
Tue Mar 26, 2019 3:10 am
Yes. You can apply for British citizenship immediately as you are married to a British national. However you must not have been in breach of the immigration rules like having past periods of overstaying
Hi! Thank you for your reply. I haven't left UK at all from the past 7 years. So guess should be fine? Also what are the requirements for British citizenship. I am a medical doctor by profession, practicing since 2014, do I still need to take the English language test? Also what about Life in the UK test? Apart from these 2, what else do I need?
What's the difference between settlement and British citizenship?
Many thanks

alterhase58
Germany

Post by alterhase58 » Tue Mar 26, 2019 9:35 am

Have you reviewed the requirements?
https://www.gov.uk/government/publicati ... en-form-an
LITUK - compulsory
English B1 - compulsory (you could possibly use the one submitted for ILR), unless you have a degree awarded in the UK, or you come from exempt countries (majority English speaking, or you have a degree from abroad which was taught in English (NARIC required).
ILR is settlement, no longer subject to immigration controls, but not British citizen.
This is just my opinion as a member of this forum and does not constitute immigration advice.
Please do not send me private messages asking for advice.

saamna
Pakistan

Post by saamna » Tue Mar 26, 2019 9:47 am

saamna wrote:
Tue Mar 26, 2019 5:42 am
Zimba wrote:
Tue Mar 26, 2019 3:10 am
Hi! Thank you for your reply. I haven't left UK at all from the past 7 years. So guess should be fine? Also what are the requirements for British citizenship. I am a medical doctor by profession, practicing since 2014, do I still need to take the English language test? Also what about Life in the UK test? Apart from these 2, what else do I need?
What's the difference between settlement and British citizenship?
Many thanks
Also I have a friend who got British citizen via refugee route. She got British passport in 2013. Now she wants to go back to Pakistan, as there are some property issues for which she physically needs to be there. Maybe for a year or two. Is this safe? What's the maximum time she can live there.
And in regards to my case, I got married here, my husband is British citizen so is my daughter she was born here and now is 2 years. They issues is neither me nor my daughter have ever met my in-laws. My husband wants that after passport we visit them in Pakistan. Again is it safe for me.. how much time can I spend there?. Plx guide
Regards

alterhase58
Germany

Post by alterhase58 » Tue Mar 26, 2019 9:59 am

A British citizen is free to leave the UK and live elsewhere for any length of time. Not sure what you mean by "safe" - if you have dual nationality then normally you will have no consular support from the UK in your home country.
This is just my opinion as a member of this forum and does not constitute immigration advice.

CR001
Mood:
South Africa

Post by CR001 » Tue Mar 26, 2019 10:04 am

alterhase58 wrote:
Tue Mar 26, 2019 9:59 am
A British citizen is free to leave the UK and live elsewhere for any length of time. Not sure what you mean by "safe" - if you have dual nationality then normally you will have no consular support from the UK in your home country.
The OP claimed asylum presumably from Pakistan, and gained ILR via the SET P Refugee settlement route. The issue comes in when it appears the country is and was safe and could potentially cast doubt on the 'refugee' claim, potentially obtained fraudulently.
Char (CR001 not Casa)
In life you cannot press the Backspace button!!
Please DO NOT send me a PM for immigration advice. I reserve the right to ignore the PM and not respond.

saamna
Pakistan

Post by saamna » Tue Mar 26, 2019 10:12 am

alterhase58 wrote:
What is consular support?

CR001
Mood:
South Africa

Post by CR001 » Tue Mar 26, 2019 10:16 am

saamna wrote:
Tue Mar 26, 2019 10:12 am
alterhase58 wrote:
What is consular support?
In the event of a disaster or if you need urgent assistance etc, you cannot avail of the British High Commission consular service if you are in Pakistan as a Pakistan citizen.
Char (CR001 not Casa)
Please DO NOT send me a PM for immigration advice. I reserve the right to ignore the PM and not respond.

saamna
Pakistan

Post by saamna » Tue Mar 26, 2019 11:20 am

CR001 wrote:
Tue Mar 26, 2019 10:04 am
alterhase58 wrote:
The OP claimed asylum presumably from Pakistan, and gained ILR via the SET P Refugee settlement route. The issue comes in when it appears the country is and was safe and could potentially cast doubt on the 'refugee' claim, potentially obtained fraudulently.
She claimed assylum from UK, along with 4 little daughters. Came as a visitor and claimed. That time she had serious issues there. Back in 2004 I am talking about. All this time lived here. Her daughters are also grown up now here. But she needs to now visit for property issues. Can she?

saamna
Pakistan

Post by saamna » Tue Mar 26, 2019 11:22 am

saamna wrote:
Tue Mar 26, 2019 11:20 am
CR001 wrote:
alterhase58 wrote:
She claimed assylum from UK, along with 4 little daughters. Came as a visitor and claimed. That time she had serious issues there. Back in 2004 I am talking about. All this time lived here. Her daughters are also grown up now here. But she needs to now visit for property issues. Can she?
CR001: She Might need to stay long. Maybe for a year or so. Plx guide.

CR001
Mood:
South Africa

Post by CR001 » Tue Mar 26, 2019 11:24 am

saamna wrote:
Tue Mar 26, 2019 11:22 am
saamna wrote:
CR001 wrote:
alterhase58 wrote:
Please don't use your questions topic to ask multiple questions about your friend. Ask friend to register and ask their own questions in their own topic.
Char (CR001 not Casa)

saamna
Pakistan

Post by saamna » Tue Mar 26, 2019 11:36 am

CR001 wrote:
Tue Mar 26, 2019 11:24 am
saamna wrote:
saamna wrote:
CR001 wrote:

Please don't use your questions topic to ask multiple questions about your friend. Ask friend to register and ask their own questions in their own topic.
She's partially blind and needed some help.

CR001
Mood:
South Africa

Post by CR001 » Tue Mar 26, 2019 11:38 am

saamna wrote:
Tue Mar 26, 2019 11:36 am
CR001 wrote:
saamna wrote:
saamna wrote:
Then kindly start a separate topic on her situation and questions to avoid confusion in your topic with your questions.
Char (CR001 not Casa)

saamna
Pakistan

Post by saamna » Tue Mar 26, 2019 11:38 am

saamna wrote:
CR001 wrote:
saamna wrote:
saamna wrote:
CR001! And in regards to my case, I got married here, my husband is British citizen so is my daughter she was born here and now is 2 years. They issues is neither me nor my daughter have ever met my in-laws. My husband wants that after passport we visit them in Pakistan. Again is it safe for me.. how much time can I spend there?

saamna
Pakistan

Post by saamna » Tue Mar 26, 2019 11:40 am

CR001 wrote:
Tue Mar 26, 2019 11:38 am
saamna wrote:
CR001 wrote:
saamna wrote:
Then kindly start a separate topic on her situation and questions to avoid confusion in your topic with your questions.
ok. Would do. Regards

saamna
Pakistan

Post by saamna » Tue Mar 26, 2019 11:48 am

saamna wrote:
saamna wrote:
CR001 wrote:
saamna wrote:
CR001! And in regards to my case, I got married here, my husband is British citizen so is my daughter she was born here and now is 2 years. They issues is neither me nor my daughter have ever met my in-laws. My husband wants that after passport we visit them in Pakistan. Again is it safe for me.. how much time can I spend there?
by safe I mean, HO not causing issues on my return.

jamefor
BANNED
Mood:
Australia

Post by jamefor » Tue Mar 26, 2019 5:55 pm

saamna wrote:
Tue Mar 26, 2019 11:48 am
saamna wrote:
saamna wrote:
CR001 wrote:

yes home office wil make big trouble as one of my aunty went pak and she claimed asylum 18 years bfore and after geting brithish pasport she went pakistan but on way back border agencey only ask her why go pakistan and she told exct samy story for prporty but ukba revoked her bc and stoped her geting back so becare full

saamna
Pakistan

Post by saamna » Tue Mar 26, 2019 6:18 pm

jamefor wrote:
Tue Mar 26, 2019 5:55 pm
saamna wrote:
saamna wrote:
saamna wrote:
yes home office wil make big trouble as one of my aunty went pak and she claimed asylum 18 years bfore and after geting brithish pasport she went pakistan but on way back border agencey only ask her why go pakistan and she told exct samy story for prporty but ukba revoked her bc and stoped her geting back so becare full
I see... thanks for the info

saamna
Pakistan

Post by saamna » Wed Mar 27, 2019 11:37 am

saamna wrote:
saamna wrote:
saamna wrote:
CR001 wrote:

CR001! ????

alterhase58
Germany

Post by alterhase58 » Wed Mar 27, 2019 2:26 pm

A British citizen can leave and return to the UK at will, irrespective of the length of absence. As long as your passport is valid there shouldn't be an issue.

saamna
Pakistan

Post by saamna » Wed Mar 27, 2019 4:50 pm

alterhase58 wrote:
Wed Mar 27, 2019 2:26 pm
A British citizen can leave and return to the UK at will, irrespective of the length of absence. As long as your passport is valid there shouldn't be an issue.
Thank you!!

saamna
Pakistan

Post by saamna » Wed Mar 27, 2019 7:52 pm

Hi! I have question re English language test. I am working in NHS since 2014. What English proof can I provide?

alterhase58
Germany

Post by alterhase58 » Wed Mar 27, 2019 8:29 pm

saamna wrote:
Wed Mar 27, 2019 7:52 pm
Hi! I have question re English language test. I am working in NHS since 2014. What English proof can I provide?
It's the B1 test (£150) - working for the NHS has no bearing on the requirement.

saamna
Pakistan

Post by saamna » Wed Mar 27, 2019 10:56 pm

alterhase58 wrote:
Wed Mar 27, 2019 8:29 pm
saamna wrote:
Wed Mar 27, 2019 7:52 pm
It's the B1 test (£150) - working for the NHS has no bearing on the requirement.
But to be qualified to work in NHS I had to take IELTS in 2013, then pass the PLAB 1 and 2 exam both in English. Then get the General Medical council registration. Still? Can I not show them my IELTS?