ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Registering children as British Citizens

A section for posts relating to applications for Naturalisation or Registration as a British Citizen. Naturalisation

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe

tier21419
Member of Standing
Pakistan

Registering children as British Citizens

Post by tier21419 » Fri Apr 19, 2019 8:39 pm

I have two UK born children, after my ILR I am planning to register them as British Citizens. Please note they were born before my ILR. I have a few questions regarding that;

1) Which law applies to children born in the UK before one parent is settled. I know I have to fill the MN1 form but which law applies to them?
2) I have to upload the referees form but it says that I have to glue their picture but also ask for writing applicant's name at the back of the photo? If we upload the form then how UKVI will know that there is name written at the back of photos?
3) First referee should be the one that knows the child e.g. health visitor, teacher, etc. The second one should be of any nationality, right? Is there any restriction on the occupation of the second referee?
4) Can I apply for both children from the same account i.e. adding second child in the same account?
5) what are the documents that needs to be uploaded/submitted with the application?
6) We don't have to submit parents' marriage certificate, right? If yes, can you please guide to the relevant guidance notes where it says that we don't have to submit one?
7) Our second one does not have any UK visa, we did not apply for one as we were planning to register him British citizen. Is this a problem that until now (6 months) he does not have any UK visa?
8 ) Is there anything else that needs to be considered?

vinny

Re: Registering children as British Citizens

Post by vinny » Sat Apr 20, 2019 3:07 am

1) Section 1( 3 ).

3) Referees

7) should be okay.
This is not intended to be legal or professional advice in any jurisdiction. Please click on any given links for further information. Refer to the source of any quotes.
We do not inherit the Earth from our ancestors, we borrow it from our children.

tier21419
Member of Standing
Pakistan

Post by tier21419 » Sun Apr 21, 2019 11:45 am

vinny wrote:
Sat Apr 20, 2019 3:07 am
1) Section 1( 3 ).

3) Referees

7) should be okay.
Many Thanks, vinny. Hopefully, someone will have a look at other questions.

CULLINAN
Respected Guru
Pakistan

Post by CULLINAN » Sun Apr 21, 2019 4:15 pm

Personal opinion only, not to be mistaken for legal advice. Please DO NOT PM me for immigration advice. Love for All, Hatred for None.

tier21419
Member of Standing
Pakistan

Post by tier21419 » Tue Apr 23, 2019 4:17 pm

tier11417 wrote:
Sun Apr 21, 2019 4:15 pm
My experience:

british-citizenship/mn1-form-clarificat ... 50260.html
Thanks, did you use Masjid's Imam as a professional reference?
Also, did you write name of your child at the back of the photo, pasted it on the form and uploaded? Name was not visible to UKVI, right (as the photo will be pasted to referee form)?

CULLINAN
Respected Guru
Pakistan

Post by CULLINAN » Tue Apr 23, 2019 5:31 pm

engrwaseem85 wrote:
Tue Apr 23, 2019 4:17 pm
tier11417 wrote:
My experience:

Also, did you write name of your child at the back of the photo, pasted it on the form and uploaded? Name was not visible to UKVI, right (as the photo will be pasted to referee form)?
Yes I used the mosque imam. Yes does not matter if the name and date of birth is not visible as we have to paste. If I am correct there was no online service at that time(?). I recall posting the documents. It was back in April 2018.
Personal opinion only, not to be mistaken for legal advice. Please DO NOT PM me for immigration advice. Love for All, Hatred for None.

tier21419
Member of Standing
Pakistan

Post by tier21419 » Tue Apr 23, 2019 9:26 pm

tier11417 wrote:
Tue Apr 23, 2019 5:31 pm
engrwaseem85 wrote:
Tue Apr 23, 2019 4:17 pm
tier11417 wrote:
My experience:

Yes I used the mosque imam. Yes does not matter if the name and date of birth is not visible as we have to paste. If I am correct there was no online service at that time(?). I recall posting the documents. It was back in April 2018.
Many thanks!

tier21419
Member of Standing
Pakistan

Re: UKVI/HO approved translators and referees

Post by tier21419 » Wed Apr 24, 2019 9:38 am

1) I was wondering if there is a list of UKVI approved translators. Basically, our marriage certificate is in urdu and English, and I was thinking that even though what is in urdu is also written in English but UKVI wont know this, so it is better to translate it. Can you please post a link to the UKVI approved translators that I can use or how one would know that they are approved by the UKVI?
2) Is it possible to get the second reference from some other professional (e.g. accountant) for child citizenship or it has to be from the list of referee for children (e.g. teacher, health visitor, etc.)
3) I have contacted our children health visitor but she has following concerns, do you think this should be fine.
  • She wont be able to provide home address instead she will provide her office address. She said that her manager asked them not to provide home address. Will this be OK as in the form it asks for living address?
  • She will provide office email and phone number, is this fine?
  • She is British but does not have a passport. in the form, if I specify yes to British citizen, it asks for British passport number and does not allow me to go to the next page. How to deal with this? Shall I just enter XXX and explain in the cover letter that she does not have a passport?

CR001
Mood:
South Africa

Post by CR001 » Wed Apr 24, 2019 9:43 am

1. There is not HO official list. Translators need to be official translators or your embassy, i.e. you cannot do it for example. If your marriage cert is in BOTH Urdu and English (presumably used previously for visas), then it is FINE.

2. How old are the children??

3. a) work address is fine.
3. b) Should be ok but work office address is fine.
3. c) you can put 'unavailable'.

Not that you only need ONE professional referee, who can be of ANY nationality.

The other referee must be over 25 and British but does NOT have to be 'engaged with the child in a professional capacity', it can be a family friend for example!!
Char (CR001 not Casa)
In life you cannot press the Backspace button!!
Please DO NOT send me a PM for immigration advice. I reserve the right to ignore the PM and not respond.

tier21419
Member of Standing
Pakistan

Post by tier21419 » Wed Apr 24, 2019 9:55 am

CR001 wrote:
Wed Apr 24, 2019 9:43 am
1. There is not HO official list. Translators need to be official translators or your embassy, i.e. you cannot do it for example. If your marriage cert is in BOTH Urdu and English (presumably used previously for visas), then it is FINE.
How to find that they are official translator? I assume they must be accredited with their relavant professional body (e.g. Institute of Translation & Interpreting), right?

2. How old are the children??
2.5 and 6 months
3. a) work address is fine.
3. b) Should be ok but work office address is fine.
3. c) you can put 'unavailable'.
great
Not that you only need ONE professional referee, who can be of ANY nationality.

The other referee must be over 25 and British but does NOT have to be 'engaged with the child in a professional capacity', it can be a family friend for example!!
yes, I have the family friend reference, it is the professional reference that I am asking about.

CR001
Mood:
South Africa

Post by CR001 » Wed Apr 24, 2019 10:14 am

How to find that they are official translator? I assume they must be accredited with their relavant professional body (e.g. Institute of Translation & Interpreting), right?
Presumably yes, Google it. You are perhaps overthinking this completely!!
Char (CR001 not Casa)
In life you cannot press the Backspace button!!
Please DO NOT send me a PM for immigration advice. I reserve the right to ignore the PM and not respond.

tier21419
Member of Standing
Pakistan

Post by tier21419 » Fri Apr 26, 2019 2:53 pm

Just wanted to confirm a few things;
1) I am filling a form for "Apply for registration of a child under 18 as a British citizen"
when "One or both your parents are settled in the UK". This is form MN1 Section 1(3), right?
2) For children passport, do I have to scan all pages or just the first biometric card?
3) Proof of paretnal responsibility from both father and would would be same birth certificate, right?
4) In Parents Consent form both mother and father has to sign, right? As children are less than 3, we should leave the child's consent form empty, right?
5) Parents don't have to send/upload their passports, right?

Many thanks

tier21419
Member of Standing
Pakistan

Post by tier21419 » Tue Apr 30, 2019 9:26 am

Hello All, Any idea about the below;
1) I am filling a form for "Apply for registration of a child under 18 as a British citizen"
when "One or both your parents are settled in the UK". This is form MN1 Section 1(3), right?
2) For children passport, do I have to scan all pages or just the first biometric card?
3) Proof of paretnal responsibility from both father and would would be same as birth certificate, right?
4) In Parents Consent form both mother and father has to sign, right? As children are less than 3, we should leave the child's consent form empty, right?
5) Parents don't have to send/upload their passports, right?
6) For my second child, the form did not ask for any passport details etc. However, passport is in the requried documents to submit. Is this normal?

Many thanks