ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

No Surname on Naturalisation certificate

A section for posts relating to applications for Naturalisation or Registration as a British Citizen. Naturalisation

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe

E44302

No Surname on Naturalisation certificate

Post by E44302 » Sat Jun 22, 2019 7:02 pm

Hi Respected Members and Gurus,

My wife has received her Naturalisation certificate and it does not have her surname. She had an indian passport before and she did not have a surname there. She only had a Given name.

Was planning to apply for her first British passport online. The online application does not allow me to leave the surname field blank as it is a mandatory field. My question is what should I enter in the last name box?

Shall I enter the same name as her Given name in the last name box and when I send over the naturalisation certificate to HMPO, I can send a cover letter to explain why I have put the same name in the Given name and last name fields.

Any suggestions or advice? Please help me!

jgreen6123
BANNED
Christmas Island

Re: No Surname on Naturalisation certificate

Post by jgreen6123 » Sat Jun 22, 2019 8:00 pm

This has been answered previously. Please search for it.

Suggestion: Can we not have a section for Indian enquiries only? They keep spamming the forum with asking the same questions over and over again. I'm sure it's a cultural thing but I find it rather annoying.

E44302

Post by E44302 » Sat Jun 22, 2019 8:07 pm

Well apologies, but sometimes it can be a different case. I did do a search before posting this question.

The cases answered did give me the information i wanted. However sometimes there can be a better solution as well as time passes and people get more information. I found that the solution given on some threads may\will not work for me as I was planning for a travel soon as well. I understand your frustration and apologise for the incovenience caused but you can simply ignore the post.

Additionally, there are mostly more Indian migrants everywhere than other countries, i guess that could be another reason for many posts!

Casa

Post by Casa » Sat Jun 22, 2019 8:47 pm

jgreen6123 wrote:
Sat Jun 22, 2019 8:00 pm

Suggestion: Can we not have a section for Indian enquiries only? They keep spamming the forum with asking the same questions over and over again. I'm sure it's a cultural thing but I find it rather annoying.
If you want a forum which restricts certain nationalities from having an equal right to post as other members, then this isn't the right forum for you. :idea:
(Casa, not CR001)
Please don't send me PMs asking for immigration advice on posts that are on the open forum. If I haven't responded there, it's because I don't have the answer. I'm a moderator, not a legal professional.

R-graphite
Mood:

Post by R-graphite » Sat Jun 22, 2019 8:57 pm

What a shocking reply, some people honestly!
jgreen6123 wrote:

I am not legally qualified, all my answers are from personal experience or readings. Please seek legal advice and don’t take my opinion as one.

R-graphite
Mood:

Post by R-graphite » Sat Jun 22, 2019 9:01 pm

You shouldn’t apologise, it was a rude reply!

If I were you, I would go for paper application through post office but first I would call HMPO and explain the situation before you apply so that you don’t pay and lose the money if there are other requirements/ suggestions by HMPO.

E44302 wrote:
Sat Jun 22, 2019 8:07 pm
Well apologies, but sometimes it can be a different case. I did do a search before posting this question.

The cases answered did give me the information i wanted. However sometimes there can be a better solution as well as time passes and people get more information. I found that the solution given on some threads may\will not work for me as I was planning for a travel soon as well. I understand your frustration and apologise for the incovenience caused but you can simply ignore the post.

Additionally, there are mostly more Indian migrants everywhere than other countries, i guess that could be another reason for many posts!
I am not legally qualified, all my answers are from personal experience or readings. Please seek legal advice and don’t take my opinion as one.

CR001
Mood:
South Africa

Post by CR001 » Sat Jun 22, 2019 9:06 pm

The British passport will have the single name in the surname field and first name field as xxx usually. See below link topic for info.

other-countries/oci-application-uk-pass ... 98026.html
Char (CR001 not Casa)
In life you cannot press the Backspace button!!
Please DO NOT send me a PM for immigration advice. I reserve the right to ignore the PM and not respond.

E44302

Post by E44302 » Sat Jun 22, 2019 9:19 pm

Thanks for your replies.

I will call HMPO and check what they say. I think postal application can take a bit more time than an online application so hoping there is some solution to go via the online form. I will see what they advice.

Additionally I am also applying for my child's first British passport. The online application form needs the parents name. However I can leave the last name field of the mother's name blank and it gives me another text box to enter a reason as to why I cant provide that information. I will check about that as well with HMPO.

R-graphite
Mood:

Post by R-graphite » Sat Jun 22, 2019 9:23 pm

I went postal and it took 9 days in total from application date. But yes check with HMPO, best thing to do.
E44302 wrote:
Sat Jun 22, 2019 9:19 pm
Thanks for your replies.

I will call HMPO and check what they say. I think postal application can take a bit more time than an online appl so hoping there is some solution to go via the online form. I will see what they advice.

Additionally I am also applying for my child's first British passport. The online application form needs the parents name. However I can leave the last name field of the mother's name blank and it gives me another text box to enter a reason as to why I cant provide that information. I will check about that as well with HMPO.

E44302

Post by E44302 » Sat Jun 22, 2019 9:26 pm

Wow that's great turn around time, 9 days!

I thought postal application just goes and is without any SLA unlike an online application which has rules in the system to trigger such things and workflows.

I will call and check. Luckily they have a telephone helpline which is open on weekends as well.

E44302

Post by E44302 » Sun Jun 23, 2019 9:07 am

I called the HMPO helpline number and they asked me to call again tomorrow so that they can transfer me to the passport office directly. I will see how it goes tomorrow.

E44302

Post by E44302 » Sun Jun 30, 2019 11:08 pm

Right, HMPO helpline asked me to send a postal application and send a cover note along with that to explain the situation. I have applied last week via the post office check and send service. Will update once I have more information.

E44302

Post by E44302 » Wed Jul 17, 2019 9:12 pm

Applied via post and with a covering letter to explain the situation. (Thanks RGraphite)

Received passport in 10 working days with first name field as xxx as pointed out by CR001.

Was not even called for an interview.

Thanks guys for all your help, suggestions and criticism!

joeano353
BANNED
Tuvalu

Post by joeano353 » Thu Jul 18, 2019 8:51 am

jgreen6123 wrote:

Wow what an attitude!!! Why is this person not even "on thin ice", when I am because i criticized people for condemning HO case workers as being inefficient and biased? I was advised to refrain from being "unconstructive".

R-graphite
Mood:

Post by R-graphite » Thu Jul 18, 2019 9:49 am

Glad to hear you got it quickly! Good luck :wink:
E44302 wrote:
Wed Jul 17, 2019 9:12 pm
Applied via post and with a covering letter to explain the situation. (Thanks RGraphite)

Received passport in 10 working days with first name field as xxx as pointed out by CR001.

Was not even called for an interview.

Thanks guys for all your help, suggestions and criticism!