ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

British Passport application on hold- other passport in maiden name

A section for posts relating to applications for Naturalisation or Registration as a British Citizen. Naturalisation

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe

dariawes
Newly Registered

British Passport application on hold- other passport in maiden name

Post by dariawes » Sun Oct 13, 2019 12:40 am

Hi All,

I have recently applied for my first British passport after my naturalisation in March. I got married in July and have not changed my name on my Polish passport yet. I sent my documents, including my UK marriage certificate stupidly assuming that this would be enough to have my passport in my married name.

I received my documents back today saying that I need to send them my Polish passport in my new name. You are probably not aware of this but Poland is ridiculously bureaucratic country and our consulate in the UK is a total joke.

To change my name on my Polish passport, I first need to have my marriage certificate and my husband's birth certificate translated into Polish by an approved and certified translator. I then need to make an appointment to deliver my documents in person to apply for my marriage to be registered in Poland. This takes about 3 months. Once it's registered, I get this piece of paper that I then must use when applying for my new Polish passport. This takes another 3 months. You need to make separate trips top the consulate as everything has to be done in person. The only thing you can do online is booking an appointment. Getting an appointment at the consulate also is ludicrous as you need to wait for ages. Their website states there are no available appointments until 28/10, and you're not available to book for any later dates. It doesn't also mention when you'll be able to come back to the website to make a booking.

Alternatively, I can cough up about a grand and make a few trips to Poland and deal with this there.

So my questions are:

1) Can I cancel my current application and reapply in my maiden name?
2) My application is currently on hold. How long before they cancel it and I will be forced to apply, and pay again?

Has anyone here had to deal with this nonsense.

Many thanks.

CR001
Mood:
South Africa

Re: British Passport application on hold- other passport in maiden name

Post by CR001 » Sun Oct 13, 2019 12:42 am

Simply reply to HMPO or phone them and advise them to proceed with your passport in your maiden name.
Char (CR001 not Casa)
In life you cannot press the Backspace button!!
Please DO NOT send me a PM for immigration advice. I reserve the right to ignore the PM and not respond.

dariawes
Newly Registered

Post by dariawes » Sun Oct 13, 2019 12:56 am

Thank you for your reply.

I will do that.

Have you actually known/heard of someone that did this and the HO accepted?

CR001
Mood:
South Africa

Post by CR001 » Sun Oct 13, 2019 2:57 am

Someone posted the same circumstances about a week ago antd then posted after a few days it was resolved, so must have been ok.
Char (CR001 not Casa)
In life you cannot press the Backspace button!!
Please DO NOT send me a PM for immigration advice. I reserve the right to ignore the PM and not respond.