ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

UKVCAS - Confirming Documents and Uploading Categories

A section for posts relating to applications for Naturalisation or Registration as a British Citizen. Naturalisation

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe

mpitillo
Brazil

Physically present in the UK Requirement - Questions

Post by mpitillo » Sun Sep 22, 2019 1:48 pm

Hello everyone,

I have recently got my ILR approved (Tier 2 - General Visa, 5 years route) and should be receiving my BRP in the next week or so. Now that I have this Permanent Resident status, I would like to open my process for British Citizenship by "Naturalisation". I am married to a British person and can prove our very long relationship.

My question is mainly in regards to the rule that I have to have been physically present in the UK at the beginning of the 3/5 years residence period, from the date the Home Office receives my Citizenship application.

1. What determines if I have to calculate 3 OR 5 years back? I have being living here since September 2014, in a Tier 2 General Visa, that now entitled me to my ILR. Would my case just be to calculate from 3 years ago?

2. What does it mean: "the day the Home Office receives your application"? Is that after I have submitted it online, but before they have make a decision? What I mean is: from the moment the HO receives the application, is that when it usually starts counting the "up to 6 months" application process? Or usually from the moment they receive the application is pretty much the end of it?

The reason I am asking this very specifically, is because I am trying to decide which day I should submit my application, considering that I have been in many trips throughout those 5 years. (And yes, I have not spent more than 270 days outside the UK during the 3 years before my application, or more than 90 days outside the UK in the last 12 months)

My current plan is to only submit it on 18 December 2019. If I date it back 3 years ago, I would have just came back from a trip in the beginning of December 2016, and my next one was in May 2016. In your experience, would you say that this would be safe enough of a gap for the HO to receive my application and guarantee that I was physically present in UK? Ideally I would love to submit it this coming month already, but again, I worry that this could coincide with other trips from 3 years ago.

Thank you so much for your time!

CR001
Mood:
South Africa

Re: Physically present in the UK Requirement - Questions

Post by CR001 » Sun Sep 22, 2019 1:53 pm

1. It's 3 years as the spouse of a British citizen.

2. You must have been physically present on the corresponding date 3 years ago as the date you submit and pay online. The date you submit and pay online is the date of application.
Char (CR001 not Casa)
In life you cannot press the Backspace button!!
Please DO NOT send me a PM for immigration advice. I reserve the right to ignore the PM and not respond.

mpitillo
Brazil

Post by mpitillo » Sun Sep 22, 2019 2:14 pm

CR001 wrote:
Sun Sep 22, 2019 1:53 pm
1. It's 3 years as the spouse of a British citizen.

2. You must have been physically present on the corresponding date 3 years ago as the date you submit and pay online. The date you submit and pay online is the date of application.
Oh wow! That's amazing news! I didn't realize that this date-check was for the date I SUBMIT it online. I always though that it was the date that the HO would go through my application, at any time, after submission. That's great and exciting. So much easier to keep it under control.

Thank you so much again for clarifying things up and helping me out.

Is this Naturalisation application similar to the ILR one, where you do most things online (application + documents upload), followed by a biometrics appointment etc? Or does this application requires more steps? And similar to the ILR, can I already start the online application and come back to it in a month time to finish it out etc?

Cheers!

alterhase58
Germany

Post by alterhase58 » Sun Sep 22, 2019 3:17 pm

Is this Naturalisation application similar to the ILR one, where you do most things online (application + documents upload), followed by a biometrics appointment etc? Or does this application requires more steps? And similar to the ILR, can I already start the online application and come back to it in a month time to finish it out etc?
AN application is all online with appointment to do biometric and check documents at UKVCAS. Reminder, you cannot apply before the appropriate residence period is completed, i.e. no 28 days early application. You can start the application and submit when everything is is ready. The date you submit and pay is your application date. Also note you are free to travel after your application is submitted (unless some Immigration applications), as you keep your original documents.
This is just my opinion as a member of this forum and does not constitute immigration advice.
Please do not send me private messages asking for advice.

mpitillo
Brazil

Naturalisation Supporting Documents - Questions

Post by mpitillo » Wed Sep 25, 2019 12:27 pm

Hello everyone,

As mentioned above, I am soon planning to apply for British Citizenship by "Naturalisation", via the Spouse of British Citizen Route. My initial process for ILR was via Tier 2 - General Visa, 5 years route.

In your experience, I was wondering if there is any additional/supporting documents that you'd recommend including to the application, apart from the mandatory ones? For example, during my ILR process I was recommended to also upload a Letter from employer endorsing my payslip and p60, plus a Cover Letter to support my application etc.

Is there anything similar that I should be aware of for this Naturalisation application?

Even though my husband and I are together for over 7 years, our marriage was quite recent. Is there any type of document that I should also provide to proof the veracity of our relationship? e.g.: Pdf with pictures of us from the last 7 years together etc? And if so, do you have any template for this?

Finally, what sort of documents should I provide for "Proof of Living in the UK"? Should I also attach my Absences travel history for the past 5 years?

Thank you again!

CR001
Mood:
South Africa

Post by CR001 » Wed Sep 25, 2019 12:47 pm

1. You are overthinking this whole process.

2. You are NOT making an visa application so do NOT require all sorts of supporting documents.

3. Submit only what is asked for otherwise you are just complicating your application with lots of unnecessary documents.
Is there anything similar that I should be aware of for this Naturalisation application?
No!!
Is there any type of document that I should also provide to proof the veracity of our relationship? e.g.: Pdf with pictures of us from the last 7 years together etc? And if so, do you have any template for this?
NOT required!!
Finally, what sort of documents should I provide for "Proof of Living in the UK"? Should I also attach my Absences travel history for the past 5 years?
It is your PASSPORTS!
Char (CR001 not Casa)
Please DO NOT send me a PM for immigration advice. I reserve the right to ignore the PM and not respond.

mpitillo
Brazil

Post by mpitillo » Wed Sep 25, 2019 4:26 pm

CR001 wrote:
Wed Sep 25, 2019 12:47 pm
1. You are overthinking this whole process.

2. You are NOT making an visa application so do NOT require all sorts of supporting documents.

3. Submit only what is asked for otherwise you are just complicating your application with lots of unnecessary documents.
No!!
Is there any type of document that I should also provide to proof the veracity of our relationship? e.g.: Pdf with pictures of us from the last 7 years together etc? And if so, do you have any template for this?
NOT required!!
It is your PASSPORTS!
Ok. Thanks for the reply!

mpitillo
Brazil

AN Application Form - Questions

Post by mpitillo » Tue Oct 01, 2019 11:15 pm

Hello everyone,

I have finally finished a first pass in my AN Application Form and as a consequence I have loads of questions that I was hoping that I could get your guidance on. I apologize for the long post, so please bare with me.

Application Type/Path: British Citizenship by Naturalisation - Applying as a Spouse of a British Citizen

AN FORM - QUESTIONS
Under "Parent One's/Two's details" Section:
1. Even though both my parents were born and are originally Brazilian, they have recently collected their Italian Passports. Given that, what should I list under "Have they always had the same nationality?". Should I select "No", which would then ask me what is "Their country of nationality when you were born"? Because this would lead back to "Brazil", as their new status of duo-nationality is very recent.

Under "Immigration details" Section:
"Have you made any previous UK immigration applications in the UK or abroad?"
1. For my recent ILR application, I've got two reference numbers. One at the time I have submitted and paid for the application (which starts in: "UKVI_2S........), and another one for the time I've received my e-mail confirming that I was granted my ILR (which is a longer number sequence). Which of those reference numbers should I list here, for "Enter your reference number if known"?

2. Before this ILR application, I also had another one for my UK Work Visa (Tier 2 - General). This application was completely done by the HR person from the company I work for, back in 2014. At that time, I was still living in Canada, while she was in England, and has done the application online. What should I select under "Was this application made in the UK?". Looking at the old application, it says under "Visa application submission location: UK BORDER AGENCY - NEW YORK - OTTAWA". But I am almost sure that she didn't go to New York to do this. Should I still mark this option as "No", and include this information, even though she's done it online?

Under "Current Partner" Section
1. My partner was born in England, he is a British Citizen. Would he classify as "Naturalised British Citizen"? The answer is "No", right?

Under "Employment details" Section
"Have you had any other work over the past 10 years OR since you came to the UK?"
1. I find this "or" a little bit confusing. During my time here in the UK, I've only worked in the same place (5 years and counting). Should I also list the previous places I've worked at, for the remaining 5 previous years, even though it was not in the UK (e.g.: Canada, Brazil etc)? If so, how do I go about listing it properly, if it doesn't give me a field for "Country"?

2. Is "Tax office reference number" the same as "Tax code"? That's the only tax related thing I can find in my Payslip.

REFEREE - QUESTIONS
1. Does "Social Worker" fit with "A person who has professional standing?"

2. Each Referee will only have to sign their unique forms, correct? Or both of them have to sign both forms?

3. Do I have to upload a scanned version of the Referee's declaration forms into UKVCAS website, or this form is only accepted on its original/physical copy?

4. If digital, do I still have to "glue" a picture of myself into each form? How would that work with having my name written behind the picture?

SUPPORTING DOCUMENTS - QUESTIONS
1. Proof of freedom from immigration time restrictions - Is the BRP (showing my Leave to Remain status) enough for this, or do I also have to include the e-mail confirmation letter from the Home Office?

2. Proof of living in the UK - I should probably include any passports I had during my time in the UK, right? New and old ones?

3. Marriage certificate - How do you even scan this certificate, given that the page format is way bigger than the usual A4? Should I ALSO include a photocopy of my spouse's british passport? Do I have to bring his original passport during my appointment as well?

4. Do I have to upload all of my supporting documents (e.g.: Referee Forms) at the same date that I submit/pay for my application, or as long as I have uploaded everything before my biometric appointment that should be alright?

GENERAL QUESTIONS
1. Once application is submitted/payed, can I still travel outside of the UK, while I am still waiting for a decision for my application?

2. I am going for a Business trip to China in the beginning of November, but would like to submit my AN application this week. Because this trip is happening a couple of weeks after my application is submitted, this trip will not be listed in the form's trip history. Do I have to inform the Home Office of this trip when I am back to the UK?

Thank you so much for your time! You are fantastic and your help is super appreciated! :wink:

aman90
Diamond Member

Re: AN Application Form - Questions

Post by aman90 » Wed Oct 02, 2019 12:12 am

mpitillo wrote:
Tue Oct 01, 2019 11:15 pm

AN FORM - QUESTIONS

1. That’s fine. State it as it is. Even if you don’t state their Italian nationality it will have no bearing on ur case,

1. The clue is in “if known”.

2. It doesn’t matter where she was. It matters where you were and from where you were applying.

1. Correct.

1. Only relevant to ur stay in UK..

2. No. Ur payslip should clearly state it. If not ask the accounts department.

REFEREE - QUESTIONS
1. Yes

2. Unique forms

3. Scanned

4. Glue the pics

1. BRP

2. Yes.

4. Anytime before UKVCAS appointment

GENERAL QUESTIONS
1. Yes

2. No

😅

mpitillo
Brazil

Post by mpitillo » Wed Oct 02, 2019 8:55 am

aman90 wrote:
Wed Oct 02, 2019 12:12 am
mpitillo wrote:
Tue Oct 01, 2019 11:15 pm

AN FORM - QUESTIONS

1. That’s fine. State it as it is. Even if you don’t state their Italian nationality it will have no bearing on ur case,

1. The clue is in “if known”.

2. It doesn’t matter where she was. It matters where you were and from where you were applying.

1. Correct.

1. Only relevant to ur stay in UK..

2. No. Ur payslip should clearly state it. If not ask the accounts department.

REFEREE - QUESTIONS
1. Yes

2. Unique forms

3. Scanned

4. Glue the pics

1. BRP

2. Yes.

4. Anytime before UKVCAS appointment

GENERAL QUESTIONS
1. Yes

2. No

😅

Thank you so much for taking the time to reply all questions. You are amazing! ;)

I would like to confirm a couple of things and reinforce one of the questions that we couldn't answer, in case someone else in the forum can help.

Please refer to original post for reference of the individual questions.

Under "Immigration details" Section

1. I know that I don't necessarily need to list the application reference number, but I would like to, since I have it and it is so recent (ILR). However, my doubt is in which one those two reference number is the appropriate one:

a. The one at the time I have submitted and paid for my ILR application (which starts in: "UKVI_2S........) OR
b. The one for the time I've received my e-mail confirming that I was granted my ILR (which is a longer number sequence)

2. So, it is safe to say that I should select "No" for this, and then inform that I was in "Vancouver, Canada", when this application was put into place, even though the HR who did the whole application was in the UK?

2. This is honestly the only Tax related number that I can find on both my payslip and p60. And this is described as "Tax Code". Is that really not the same as "Tax office reference number"? How long this number should usually be?

REFEREE - QUESTIONS

4. So I don't need to write anything behind this picture at all? Only glue it together?

3. Marriage certificate - How do you go about scaning this certificate, given that the page format is way bigger than the usual A4? Should I ALSO include a photocopy of my spouse's british passport AND bring his ORIGINAL passport during my appointment as well?

aman90
Diamond Member

Post by aman90 » Wed Oct 02, 2019 9:40 am

🤷🏻‍♀️.. overthinking n complicating unnecessarily.

The only important question that must be correct is the tax reference number.

1. The reference number is on the decision letter
2. The application could be submitted online in Timbuktu but what matters is which embassy it was submitted at.
3. Tax reference is a much longer number than a tax code. Any business in uk will not confuse the two. Again I repeat ask ur accounts department.
The clue is in the number of boxes on the form.
4. Yes
5. I’m dumbstruck at this question. You can use an Apple phone. Take a photo? Pay UKVCAS to scan and upload it. Is ur husbands passport in the list of documents required?

Ukvcas are couriers- not decision makers. It’s your responsibility to provide listed documents.
They do not check physical documents. They will only demand documents if they feel the quality of the print is below standard.

ttcg

Post by ttcg » Wed Oct 02, 2019 10:39 am

mpitillo wrote:
Wed Oct 02, 2019 8:55 am

3. Marriage certificate - How do you go about scaning this certificate, given that the page format is way bigger than the usual A4? Should I ALSO include a photocopy of my spouse's british passport AND bring his ORIGINAL passport during my appointment as well?
In most professional scanners at offices, you can select the scan size - A3 to scan it. And that's how I did it for mine.

If your scanner can only scan A4 size, you can scan it twice and combine them in single pdf file. Or submit two files: MarriageCertificate1.jpg & MarriageCertificate2.jpg

mpitillo
Brazil

Post by mpitillo » Wed Oct 02, 2019 12:52 pm

aman90 wrote:
Wed Oct 02, 2019 9:40 am
🤷🏻‍♀️.. overthinking n complicating unnecessarily.

The only important question that must be correct is the tax reference number.

1. The reference number is on the decision letter
2. The application could be submitted online in Timbuktu but what matters is which embassy it was submitted at.
3. Tax reference is a much longer number than a tax code. Any business in uk will not confuse the two. Again I repeat ask ur accounts department.
The clue is in the number of boxes on the form.
4. Yes
5. I’m dumbstruck at this question. You can use an Apple phone. Take a photo? Pay UKVCAS to scan and upload it. Is ur husbands passport in the list of documents required?

Ukvcas are couriers- not decision makers. It’s your responsibility to provide listed documents.
They do not check physical documents. They will only demand documents if they feel the quality of the print is below standard.
Thanks again for the reply.

I will leave the submission location as "UK BORDER AGENCY - NEW YORK - OTTAWA", as this is the only piece of information I can find in the old application. And I will mark it as "No", when they ask if the application was made in the UK. Cheers.

In regards to the "Tax office reference number", I've spoken with Accounts department and they've confirmed that the information I want is the one listed as "Employer PAYE Reference", in my payslip and P60. So for anyone else in the future that might come across the same question as me, this might be the "wording" you will look for, in case it doesn't show as "Tax office reference number". Either way, as recommended, always double check with the accountant. ;o)

Thanks everyone!

aman90
Diamond Member

Post by aman90 » Wed Oct 02, 2019 1:04 pm

1. I don’t think the online form asks whether the application was made in UK or not. Also, Canada should suffice..
I only stated the country in my form.

2. Not everyone’s payslip contains the tax ref or employers PAYE ref number..
a tax code is the tax bracket assigned to an individual owing to their salary.
My payslips don’t.

mpitillo
Brazil

Post by mpitillo » Wed Oct 02, 2019 2:08 pm

aman90 wrote:
Wed Oct 02, 2019 1:04 pm
1. I don’t think the online form asks whether the application was made in UK or not. Also, Canada should suffice..
It does. The questions are:
"Have you made any previous UK immigration applications in the UK or abroad?" AND
"Was this application made in the UK?"

I just wish I could say: "It was made by someone else, and online!". Hahaha. But because I am not confident with my answers either way, I would just list what I can see in the old application, which is: "UK BORDER AGENCY - NEW YORK - OTTAWA".

Ironically, I can see three "locations" there: UK, USA (New York) and Canada (Ottawa).

Thanks again for everyone's help! Hopefully everything will go alright. :wink:

aman90
Diamond Member

Post by aman90 » Wed Oct 02, 2019 2:54 pm

mpitillo wrote:
Wed Oct 02, 2019 2:08 pm
"Have you made any previous UK immigration applications in the UK or abroad?" AND

I just wish I could say: "It was made by someone else, and online!". Hahaha.
Ah Ok.. I’ve no recollection now of the form.
It’s unfortunate that you don’t understand the purpose of the question and I’ve failed to explain it to you.
You could attach a cover letter stating it if it makes you feel better to be very very truthful about ur situation :)

CR001
Mood:
South Africa

Post by CR001 » Wed Oct 02, 2019 2:59 pm

mpitillo wrote:
aman90 wrote:

I just wish I could say: "It was made by someone else, and online!". Hahaha. But because I am not confident with my answers either way, I would just list what I can see in the old application, which is: "UK BORDER AGENCY - NEW YORK - OTTAWA".

Ironically, I can see three "locations" there: UK, USA (New York) and Canada (Ottawa).

the answer would be NO it was NOT made in the UK as you applied in the US. You only need to state US, you do not have to state UKBA etc.
Char (CR001 not Casa)

mpitillo
Brazil

Post by mpitillo » Wed Oct 02, 2019 4:19 pm

CR001 wrote:
Wed Oct 02, 2019 2:59 pm
mpitillo wrote:
aman90 wrote:

the answer would be NO it was NOT made in the UK as you applied in the US. You only need to state US, you do not have to state UKBA etc.
Thank you! I will do that, except that I will list "Canada", which was where I was at the time even though for some reason it says "New York" in my application.

Honestly, thank you so much for everyone's help around here. I can't express enough how helpful everyone has been.

mpitillo
Brazil

Post by mpitillo » Wed Oct 02, 2019 10:10 pm

Quick Question - I've seeing in the document checklist that I will have to scan ALL pages of my husband's passport to include with the application.

Do I also have to do the same for my own passports, including blank pages? For ILR, I've skipped the blank pages. But maybe for NA it is a little bit different?

Thank you!

CR001
Mood:
South Africa

Post by CR001 » Thu Oct 03, 2019 5:13 am

mpitillo wrote:
Wed Oct 02, 2019 10:10 pm
Quick Question - I've seeing in the document checklist that I will have to scan ALL pages of my husband's passport to include with the application.

Do I also have to do the same for my own passports, including blank pages? For ILR, I've skipped the blank pages. But maybe for NA it is a little bit different?

Thank you!
You only need the biometric page of the British spouse passport.
Char (CR001 not Casa)

mpitillo
Brazil

Post by mpitillo » Thu Oct 03, 2019 8:43 am

CR001 wrote:
Thu Oct 03, 2019 5:13 am
mpitillo wrote:
Wed Oct 02, 2019 10:10 pm

Thank you!
You only need the biometric page of the British spouse passport.
Oh - The document checklist specifically asks for all pages (british spouse passport). But I'm glad to hear that it is not needed then.

With that, then it probably means that for my own passport I only need the pages with stamp, visas etc; no need for scanning blank pages for my own passport?

Thanks!

aman90
Diamond Member

Post by aman90 » Thu Oct 03, 2019 9:53 am

mpitillo wrote:
Thu Oct 03, 2019 8:43 am

With that, then it probably means that for my own passport I only need the pages with stamp, visas etc; no need for scanning blank pages for my own passport?
Optional! I was approved without scanning blank pages. It didn’t make any sense to 🤷🏻‍♀️

mpitillo
Brazil

UKVCAS - Confirming Documents and Uploading Categories

Post by mpitillo » Tue Oct 15, 2019 8:27 pm

Hello everyone,

I have applied for Naturalisation via the Spouse route (ILR + Spouse of a British Citizen). I have just uploaded my documents on the UKVCAS website, but would like to confirm if I am providing the full list of documents, and if the categories I have uploaded it is correct. Because some of the documents fulfill more than one requirement, I got a little bit confused and wanted to make sure I am not missing anything.

Total # of documents uploaded: 9

Mandatory / Proof of Application:
- Current Passport

Optional / Other:
- Marriage Certificate
- Spouse's Passport
- 1st Referee Declaration
- 2nd Referee Declaration

Optional / Residence in the UK:
- BRP Indefinite Leave to Remain Status
- Previous Passport (Including Tier 2 General Work Visa)

Optional / Educational:
- Life in the UK Pass Notification Letter
- English Language Test Certificate

Does this sound correct? Thank you for your time!

CULLINAN
Respected Guru
Pakistan

Re: UKVCAS - Confirming Documents and Uploading Categories

Post by CULLINAN » Tue Oct 15, 2019 8:31 pm

mpitillo wrote:
Tue Oct 15, 2019 8:27 pm
Hello everyone,

I have applied for Naturalisation via the Spouse route (ILR + Spouse of a British Citizen). I have just uploaded my documents on the UKVCAS website, but would like to confirm if I am providing the full list of documents, and if the categories I have uploaded it is correct. Because some of the documents fulfill more than one requirement, I got a little bit confused and wanted to make sure I am not missing anything.

- Current Passport

Optional / Other:
- Marriage Certificate
- Spouse's Passport

Optional / Educational:

Yes
Personal opinion only, not to be mistaken for legal advice. Please DO NOT PM me for immigration advice. Love for All, Hatred for None.

mpitillo
Brazil

Re: UKVCAS - Confirming Documents and Uploading Categories

Post by mpitillo » Wed Oct 16, 2019 10:48 am

CULLINAN wrote:
Tue Oct 15, 2019 8:31 pm
mpitillo wrote:
Tue Oct 15, 2019 8:27 pm
Hello everyone,

- Current Passport

Optional / Other:
- Marriage Certificate
- Spouse's Passport

Optional / Educational:

Yes
Thank you! :)