ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Do I have the Right of Abode? (tricky one)

A section for posts relating to applications for Naturalisation or Registration as a British Citizen. Naturalisation

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe

wuzzy
Newly Registered
Canada

Do I have the Right of Abode? (tricky one)

Post by wuzzy » Thu Mar 05, 2020 2:40 am

Hey everyone!

First of all, what a great forum, so much information!! Unfortunately nothing that looks directly like my question, I did look first I promise :)

So here's the dealio.

Both my Nan's are from the UK my Dads Mom and my Moms Mom... both born and raised and moved in 1946 after World War 2 to Canada with their Canadian Husbands, my grandpa's....

So, I know I have the ability to get a UK Ancestry Visa, I've had it before from when I was younger. My mother has never gotten her British Passport even though there is no doubt she is immediately British with being born in 1950 to a British Mother who was Born in Britain to 2 British Parents.

Here's my wacky tobaccy question. Is there any chance I would have the right of abode through my mother? Because technically she is a british citizen and she would just need to file the proper docs to be on record and then I could. Or do I need to still do the UK Ancestry Visa for 5 years and then apply for ILR.

Cheerior and thanks so much!

vinny

Re: Do I have the Right of Abode? (tricky one)

Post by vinny » Thu Mar 05, 2020 3:41 am

It may help if you list dates (at least year) and places of birth of everyone concerned.
This is not intended to be legal or professional advice in any jurisdiction. Please click on any given links for further information. Refer to the source of any quotes.
We do not inherit the Earth from our ancestors, we borrow it from our children.