ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

British Citzenship for 5 yrs child

A section for posts relating to applications for Naturalisation or Registration as a British Citizen. Naturalisation

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe

tbnag
India

British Citzenship for 5 yrs child

Post by tbnag » Mon Mar 09, 2020 6:01 pm

Hi There,

I am applying for ILR. I am currently on Tier 1 Dependent visa and my spouse is currently British citizen.

My daughter is 5 years old and currently on the same visa as me(Tier 1 dependent).

I was told that I no need to apply ILR for my daughter and can directly apply for British citizenship for her once I get ILR? Am I right?

Thanks!

CR001
Mood:
South Africa

Re: British Citzenship for 5 yrs child

Post by CR001 » Mon Mar 09, 2020 6:02 pm

Depends where the child was born, you don't state this important detail.
Char (CR001 not Casa)
In life you cannot press the Backspace button!!
Please DO NOT send me a PM for immigration advice. I reserve the right to ignore the PM and not respond.

tbnag
India

Post by tbnag » Mon Mar 09, 2020 6:05 pm

The child was born out of the country (ie India)

CR001
Mood:
South Africa

Post by CR001 » Mon Mar 09, 2020 6:07 pm

She needs ilr before she can apply for citizenship.

Children born abroad follow the same immigration path as the parent who also has a dependent visa, the less privileged parent in immigration terms.

it is only UK born children who have an entitlement (can't be refused) to register as British without ilr once either parent gets ILR.
Char (CR001 not Casa)
Please DO NOT send me a PM for immigration advice. I reserve the right to ignore the PM and not respond.

tbnag
India

Post by tbnag » Mon Mar 09, 2020 6:10 pm

Thanks for confirming.

tentena
Newly Registered

Post by tentena » Mon Mar 09, 2020 7:31 pm

Hello,

I think I have a similar situation. My daughter is 18months and was born in the United States of America. When she was born, I had my ILR while my wife had her dependant visa. I am now a British citizen and want to know if my daughter is entitled to register as a British citizen since at the point of her birth, I had my ILR and I am now a British citizen. Shouldn't that entitle her to British citizenship now?

Thanks,
Tentena

CR001
Mood:
South Africa

Post by CR001 » Mon Mar 09, 2020 7:41 pm

tentena wrote:
Mon Mar 09, 2020 7:31 pm
Hello,

I think I have a similar situation. My daughter is 18months and was born in the United States of America. When she was born, I had my ILR while my wife had her dependant visa. I am now a British citizen and want to know if my daughter is entitled to register as a British citizen since at the point of her birth, I had my ILR and I am now a British citizen. Shouldn't that entitle her to British citizenship now?

Thanks,
Tentena
You should post in your own topic please.

The advice for your child is the same. No entitlement to register as British and the child will follow the same Immigration path as the mother. You becoming British doesn't entitled the child to citizenship, it is not retrospective.
Char (CR001 not Casa)