ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Citizenship Ceremony cancelled due to Covid-19

A section for posts relating to applications for Naturalisation or Registration as a British Citizen. Naturalisation

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe

Nadiyajamil
Newly Registered
Mood:
Pakistan

Re: Citizenship Ceremony cancelled due to Covid-19

Post by Nadiyajamil » Thu Nov 26, 2020 10:23 pm

mrmo93 wrote:
Thu Nov 26, 2020 10:17 pm
Nadiyajamil wrote:
Thu Nov 26, 2020 10:02 pm
Please can someone help and respond to my message. I’m so stressed out. My certificate is with Harrow council since 28th of October and they are not willing to book me for the ceremony because I still haven’t received this silly invitation letter.

I have contacted the local MP who instead of requesting the council to allow me to attend and collect my certificate has instead decided to contact home office for my letter. I have a feeling home office will not get back to this MP on time and this will be another waiting game for me now.

My approval Email came on 10th July 2020 and now it’s nearly the end to November but still there is no sign of this letter 😞 😢
I have other things to do in life and feel so stuck!

Please is anyone here waiting for the letter who got approval in July 2020?
Hi buddy, just keep waiting and stay strong is all I can say. Allah will reward you just be patient. I know how it feels for every delay there is a good thing. What I learned in this country is it will get done when it gets done.

What you can do is:

Ask citizens Advice about your rights IF you can do it with out the invitation letter. Call them tomorrow and see what they say

https://www.citizensadvice.org.uk/
Thank you I will check this right away.

Nadiyajamil
Newly Registered
Mood:
Pakistan

Post by Nadiyajamil » Fri Nov 27, 2020 4:52 am

nnn15 wrote:
Thu Nov 26, 2020 10:22 pm
Nadiyajamil wrote:
Please can someone help and respond to my message. I’m so stressed out. My certificate is with Harrow council since 28th of October and they are not willing to book me for the ceremony because I still haven’t received this silly invitation letter.

I have contacted the local MP who instead of requesting the council to allow me to attend and collect my certificate has instead decided to contact home office for my letter. I have a feeling home office will not get back to this MP on time and this will be another waiting game for me now.

My approval Email came on 10th July 2020 and now it’s nearly the end to November but still there is no sign of this letter 😞 😢

I believe @minikube is in this situation.
I've been waiting for many months now, but with the difference there's no sign of my certificate, so no hope to sort it out just with the council.
I asked a lawyer opinion about my situation and he said the best is to try to follow up with the MP because apparently the HO MUST reply to MPs and it's unusual if they don't. So probably you should ask your MP for updates until they sort this out for you.
When did you get your approval email from HO?

And yes for me it’s been very frustrating because the council has confirmed in writing via email that my certificate reached them on 28th of October but the registrar is adamant that in order for them to book me for the ceremony I need that damn letter. So now all my hopes are with the MP as home office never got back to any of my emails. I really pray that you get your certificate and letter soon as I know the feeling of being stuck in this situation.

raij
Poland

Post by raij » Fri Nov 27, 2020 6:28 am

nnn15 wrote:
Thu Nov 26, 2020 8:48 pm
raij wrote:
Thu Nov 26, 2020 7:48 pm
nnn15 wrote:
Thu Nov 26, 2020 3:14 pm
raij wrote:
Thu Nov 26, 2020 12:13 pm

Already did , i actually got a phone call from UKVI , after i phoned them to complain about a copy and paste email i received , that does not answer why i am waiting 25 weeks now for invite . they advised me to wait for it .... email again .
Did you do anything else to get an explanation from the HO about why all the timelines have passed and the certificate still hasn't arrived? I'm waiting for 7 months already and wondering if there is any escalation if none of the HO support channels respond.
besides phonning no , and emailing - but i still did not get any info about my case - today i been to,d to email FurtherNationalityEnquiries@homeoffice.gov.uk apparently they respond now within 20 days :( . o asked mp for help to , but i guess hes still waiting for reply too.
it is shocking how long we are made to wait
I emailed FurtherNationalityEnquiries@homeoffice.gov.uk a month and a half ago, got an automatic response that their service standard is 20 working days, but they still haven't responded. No luck with citizenship.support either. I got a response after 3 months, but it was a one liner to say they don't have any concrete information about my application.
The Coronavirus support help line has now acknowledged to me that by now I should have received an invitation (before November they were just saying I need to wait longer although it was already half a year).

I'm wondering if there is a way to make them investigate specific cases - if something has gone wrong with these applications it's not likely to get sorted out on it's own...

i am trying to find out same thing , if it comes to this starting from December i be phoning all the "ho" lines weekly till they get sick of me and deal with my case. I have a feeling that small proportion of cases like yours and mine have not been dealt with / printed and so on . Its mind boggling as to why we are waiting so long

nnn15

Post by nnn15 » Fri Nov 27, 2020 9:12 am

Nadiyajamil wrote:
Fri Nov 27, 2020 4:52 am
nnn15 wrote:
Thu Nov 26, 2020 10:22 pm
Nadiyajamil wrote:

I believe @minikube is in this situation.
I've been waiting for many months now, but with the difference there's no sign of my certificate, so no hope to sort it out just with the council.
I asked a lawyer opinion about my situation and he said the best is to try to follow up with the MP because apparently the HO MUST reply to MPs and it's unusual if they don't. So probably you should ask your MP for updates until they sort this out for you.
When did you get your approval email from HO?

And yes for me it’s been very frustrating because the council has confirmed in writing via email that my certificate reached them on 28th of October but the registrar is adamant that in order for them to book me for the ceremony I need that damn letter. So now all my hopes are with the MP as home office never got back to any of my emails. I really pray that you get your certificate and letter soon as I know the feeling of being stuck in this situation.
I applied before covid was in Europe and my application was approved in the beginning of the spring lockdown, I don't know exactly when, but they confirmed in April that a decision on my application was made. I asked for a decision letter in pdf, and they send me an approval in July. But regardless of whether it's April or July I've been waiting way longer than the stated 12 weeks.

London249
Pakistan

Post by London249 » Fri Nov 27, 2020 10:08 am

I think like some cases your invitation letter may have lost in the post and is happened to me I applied nationally in fab 2020 and didn’t get any letter after that so I contact them on the phone they get back to me via email which they confirm they did sent me letter by post in August which i never received so I send them some additional documents via email was approved in 9th of November, my advice if your council confirm the have your docks you need to involve your local mp and try to contact home office via phone if the person who dealt with your inquiry is depend how he handle your complaint. Try to be polite and try to explain them your letter have lost or never received, don’t tell them you haven’t received try to tell them is lost in the post . As you know at Royal Mail is very busy time of this year at home office use send second class post which can be lost easy.

raij
Poland

Post by raij » Fri Nov 27, 2020 10:21 am

London249 wrote:
Fri Nov 27, 2020 10:08 am
I think like some cases your invitation letter may have lost in the post and is happened to me I applied nationally in fab 2020 and didn’t get any letter after that so I contact them on the phone they get back to me via email which they confirm they did sent me letter by post in August which i never received so I send them some additional documents via email was approved in 9th of November, my advice if your council confirm the have your docks you need to involve your local mp and try to contact home office via phone if the person who dealt with your inquiry is depend how he handle your complaint. Try to be polite and try to explain them your letter have lost or never received, don’t tell them you haven’t received try to tell them is lost in the post . As you know at Royal Mail is very busy time of this year at home office use send second class post which can be lost easy.
i been emailing my local registry office on almost weekly basis nothing received, mp involved, phone lines fairly useless , emails remain unanswered , or a "copy paste reply" not relevant at all to the email that was sent or requested in the first place . As for being polite yes thats something that one needs to bare in mind when speaking to anyone anyway .
i try next week the "lost in the post" when i phone home office again

London249
Pakistan

Post by London249 » Fri Nov 27, 2020 10:30 am

Yes I know is frustrating but you need to tell home office your letter is lost in the post as your local council have your certificate is all depend if they connect to you right department in home office , As is happened to me when I sent email in August no reply whatsoever but when i call in home office the lady she picked up my phone she listen to me she took it my email and full details and said to me that complaint response will be in 10 day which I did received positive email , Also request the if they can email you the cermony letter because previous post is lost.

korben555
Newly Registered
Ukraine

Post by korben555 » Fri Nov 27, 2020 12:53 pm

You see, that's frustrating.
In the supermarket they try to reduce plastic in use.
Banks encourage you to switch to paperless statements - to reduce paper in use.
So why on Earth, HO can't send us just an e-mail ?
Well, probably they are obliged to spend the cost of the envelope to justify the whole cost of the application... :lol:

CULLINAN
Respected Guru
Pakistan

Post by CULLINAN » Fri Nov 27, 2020 12:57 pm

May I know please if any other council also claims that citizenship ceremony invitations will be sent via email like Hounslow website does?? Or are they the only one to claim this?
Personal opinion only, not to be mistaken for legal advice. Please DO NOT PM me for immigration advice. Love for All, Hatred for None.

coolrockspart2
India

Post by coolrockspart2 » Fri Nov 27, 2020 1:27 pm

Harrow council doesn't claim to receive invitation letter by email. Also without invitation letter(as reported by others) registrar won't even check if they have my certificate. Frustrating

korben555
Newly Registered
Ukraine

Post by korben555 » Fri Nov 27, 2020 1:27 pm

Dear Cullinan.
I believe, they (at Hounslow ) just made a taping error. I don't even want write to them about it.
So advanced country as UK is , and such important thing as inviting new citizens - left to the mood of council workers ?

CULLINAN
Respected Guru
Pakistan

Post by CULLINAN » Fri Nov 27, 2020 1:38 pm

korben555 wrote:
Fri Nov 27, 2020 1:27 pm
Dear Cullinan.
I believe, they (at Hounslow ) just made a taping error. I don't even want write to them about it.
So advanced country as UK is , and such important thing as inviting new citizens - left to the mood of council workers ?
Maybe. Could be possible lol.
Personal opinion only, not to be mistaken for legal advice. Please DO NOT PM me for immigration advice. Love for All, Hatred for None.

nnn15

Post by nnn15 » Fri Nov 27, 2020 1:46 pm

raij wrote:
Fri Nov 27, 2020 10:21 am
London249 wrote:
i been emailing my local registry office on almost weekly basis nothing received, mp involved, phone lines fairly useless , emails remain unanswered , or a "copy paste reply" not relevant at all to the email that was sent or requested in the first place . As for being polite yes thats something that one needs to bare in mind when speaking to anyone anyway .
Hi raij, I called the HO helpline today and spoke to a very nice lady. I explained I've been waiting for the letter and certificate to be dispatched for over 7 months now, she put me on hold and they submitted an escalation. I received an (again automated) email from UKVI. It is long and generic, but has the following: "we can confirm that we have just completed the processing of certificates and ceremony invitations for applications that were approved in August and have now commenced processing those for applications approved early September. Ceremony invites are sent by 2nd class post and can take up to 10 working days to be delivered". This is clearly contradictory as I haven't received anything and the council doesn't have my certificate.
The lady told me I should get an email within 2 weeks. I asked her what to do if I don't, she said I should call again.

I'm not hopeful this is going to get resolved quickly, but it looks like some progress at least as they seem to confirm now something has gone wrong with my case.

You should probably call them and ask them to escalate as well.

Frou01
Member of Standing
Mood:
Finland

Post by Frou01 » Fri Nov 27, 2020 1:54 pm

nnn15 wrote:
Fri Nov 27, 2020 1:46 pm
raij wrote:
London249 wrote:
Hi raij, I called the HO helpline today and spoke to a very nice lady. I explained I've been waiting for the letter and certificate to be dispatched for over 7 months now, she put me on hold and they submitted an escalation. I received an (again automated) email from UKVI. It is long and generic, but has the following: "we can confirm that we have just completed the processing of certificates and ceremony invitations for applications that were approved in August and have now commenced processing those for applications approved early September. Ceremony invites are sent by 2nd class post and can take up to 10 working days to be delivered". This is clearly contradictory as I haven't received anything and the council doesn't have my certificate.
The lady told me I should get an email within 2 weeks. I asked her what to do if I don't, she said I should call again.

I'm not hopeful this is going to get resolved quickly, but it looks like some progress at least as they seem to confirm now something has gone wrong with my case.

I’m really sorry for what you’re going through. :cry:

I’m a bit confused at the statement they have completed August and some September approvals. We’ve seen that as those are the ones since two/ three weeks posting their confirmation of letters and ceremony bookings.
So this has been completed therefore awhile ago and they don’t mention anything about those before of May, June, July waiting.

I have a friend waiting since nearly 7 months too by now and except for generic responses and once even another pdf of confirming the successful information there’s nothing.

I hope HO got the information now of people waiting prior August approvals and do something.

I really hope this journey ends for you and all waiting soon!

nnn15

Post by nnn15 » Fri Nov 27, 2020 2:06 pm

Frou01 wrote:
Fri Nov 27, 2020 1:54 pm
nnn15 wrote:
raij wrote:
London249 wrote:

I’m really sorry for what you’re going through. :cry:

I’m a bit confused at the statement they have completed August and some September approvals. We’ve seen that as those are the ones since two/ three weeks posting their confirmation of letters and ceremony bookings.
So this has been completed therefore awhile ago and they don’t mention anything about those before of May, June, July waiting.

I have a friend waiting since nearly 7 months too by now and except for generic responses and once even another pdf of confirming the successful information there’s nothing.

I hope HO got the information now of people waiting prior August approvals and do something.

I really hope this journey ends for you and all waiting soon!
Congratulations on your ceremony invitation receipt!
Yes dealing with the HO on this has been painful because none of their support channels are responsive. Your friend should probably also ask the helpline to submit an escalation on their case - if the HO states that all the applications with up to August approvals have been processed they need to be reminded of the applications that have been left in limbo.

Frou01
Member of Standing
Mood:
Finland

Post by Frou01 » Fri Nov 27, 2020 2:19 pm

Thank you very much, I will pass that on. That’s an important advice.

leo55
Mood:

Post by leo55 » Fri Nov 27, 2020 2:57 pm

Any news on ceremony booking from Redbridge council?

Sent them email regarding booking of ceremony early this week, no reply so far.

JadDip
Newly Registered

Post by JadDip » Fri Nov 27, 2020 3:10 pm

I submitted my application back in April, and after a prolonged wait, I received a confirmation receiving my certificate and the invitation letter arrived. Lancashire council suspended all ceremonies, they have no online or private ceremonies options. No clarity when they will start again as Lancashire placed in tier 3 lockdown starting from next week.

I was surprised to find out that other councils in the country are doing the ceremonies, e.g. Blackburn
https://www.blackburn.gov.uk/births-mar ... ceremonies

I guess they are they only council are not processing ceremonies, and not sure if possible to change the council at this stage

From limbo to another.....endless torture!

raij
Poland

Post by raij » Fri Nov 27, 2020 3:10 pm

nnn15 wrote:
raij wrote:
London249 wrote:

I have recieved same reply when my case got escalated too - i think they just copy and paste them

Kam2020
Newly Registered
Poland

Post by Kam2020 » Fri Nov 27, 2020 3:31 pm

leo55 wrote:
Fri Nov 27, 2020 2:57 pm

Same here, waiting for Redbridge to contact me to book ceremony but still nothing ,

dogcat

Post by dogcat » Fri Nov 27, 2020 4:03 pm

had my ceremony today :D
approved on the 24th of August, letter dated 7th of Nov but received only this week.

leo55
Mood:

Post by leo55 » Fri Nov 27, 2020 4:05 pm

Kam2020 wrote:
Fri Nov 27, 2020 3:31 pm
leo55 wrote:
Fri Nov 27, 2020 2:57 pm

Same here, waiting for Redbridge to contact me to book ceremony but still nothing ,
Very Strange. Hope they reply to our emails next week.

First, we had to wait for the Invitation letter, which took ages to arrive and now have to wait from the council to get the certificate.

Why don't HO digitalize the whole process especially during this time and start sending the certificates to applicants by email like they did for the approvals?

This will give advantage not only to the applicants but also to HO to clear the backlog in short span of time.

Frou01
Member of Standing
Mood:
Finland

Post by Frou01 » Fri Nov 27, 2020 5:04 pm

dogcat wrote:
Fri Nov 27, 2020 4:03 pm
had my ceremony today :D
approved on the 24th of August, letter dated 7th of Nov but received only this week.
Congratulations!
Was it a nice ceremony?

dogcat

Post by dogcat » Fri Nov 27, 2020 5:31 pm

Yeah :D

I'm just pleased it's all over now lol

mrmo93
Mood:
Sweden

Post by mrmo93 » Fri Nov 27, 2020 5:34 pm

What is the ceremony in Kent county council like?