ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Child first British passport after parent's successful naturalisation application

A section for posts relating to applications for Naturalisation or Registration as a British Citizen. Naturalisation

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe

ronin

Baby born - Parents under ILR

Post by ronin » Tue May 19, 2020 5:31 am

Dear Moderator,

Hope you're well and staying safe. My first child was born last month (April 2020). I am on ILR (12 months completed on last October 2019, haven't applied for naturalization yet) and my wife is my dependent (FLR M). I have couple of queries below,

1. I need to apply for my child's first British Passport. All birth registrations has been deferred due to covid-19. Can I apply for passport without the birth certificate?

Hospital sent me a letter asking for a copy of newborn's passport by mid July. As my wife paid IHS, they want us to regularise my child. How can I prove them my child is British citizen by birth?

2. I believe I will have to prove my settled status for my newborn's british passport application. How do I prove it, what documents I may require to send?

Please help me with these two questions, I'm completely lost.

Thank you.

CR001
Mood:
South Africa

Re: Baby born - Parents under ILR

Post by CR001 » Tue May 19, 2020 6:12 am

1. You need the birth certificate.

2. Your passport and ilr brp card.
Char (CR001 not Casa)
In life you cannot press the Backspace button!!
Please DO NOT send me a PM for immigration advice. I reserve the right to ignore the PM and not respond.

ronin

Post by ronin » Tue May 19, 2020 10:04 am

Dear CR001,

Thank you very much. Really appreciate it.

Regards.

ronin

Post by ronin » Tue Jun 16, 2020 6:27 pm

Dear CR001,

Fortunately birth registration services were resumed by council and I was able to get my child's birth certificate.

I went to online for her first British passport application, surprisingly I was told to send birth certificate and marriage certificate of both grandparents along with my non-eu passport, ILR BRP card.

Both our partners live abroad and it is practically not possible to arrange their birth & marriage certificate.

What to do in this case? Please help me to understand this unpractical requirement.

Thank you.

Ronin

CR001
Mood:
South Africa

Post by CR001 » Tue Jun 16, 2020 6:32 pm

Grandparent documents are NOT required.
Char (CR001 not Casa)
Please DO NOT send me a PM for immigration advice. I reserve the right to ignore the PM and not respond.

ronin

Post by ronin » Tue Jun 16, 2020 7:13 pm

Thank you for your prompt response.

I will send my passport and brp card. Should I enclose a letter explaining not being able to provide grandparents documents?

CR001
Mood:
South Africa

Post by CR001 » Tue Jun 16, 2020 7:20 pm

ronin wrote:
Tue Jun 16, 2020 7:13 pm
Should I enclose a letter explaining not being able to provide grandparents documents?
No, it is NOT required.
Char (CR001 not Casa)

vinny

Post by vinny » Wed Jun 17, 2020 1:29 am

It’s sufficient under Section 1(1)(b) that a parent was settled when child was born in the UK.
This is not intended to be legal or professional advice in any jurisdiction. Please click on any given links for further information. Refer to the source of any quotes.
We do not inherit the Earth from our ancestors, we borrow it from our children.

ronin

Child first British passport after parent's successful naturalisation application

Post by ronin » Sun Sep 27, 2020 11:13 am

Dear experts & moderators,

My child was born while I was on ILR. I was holding application for little one's british passport as my application for naturalisation application was pending for an outcome. I did not want to send my passport and brp to passport office before a decision is being made. I wanted to avoid that situation where case worker asked for further information on my travel etc but I do not have my passport with me.

Recently I received successful confirmation on naturalisation application. My question is, can I apply for baby's first British passport while I'm waiting for the ceremony invitation letter? Am I still on ILR status?

If I wait further and get my naturalisation certificate + british passport sorted first, do I need to apply for child's naturalisation before her british passport? or I can apply for child's passport straight away without going through her naturalisation process in that case? Technically I would become british citizen after the birth of my little one if I choose to wait further.

I actually would like to avoid the cost of child's naturalisation application. Please suggest me, should there be any problem if I apply for child's passport right now while waiting for ceremony? Do I have to apply for child's naturalisation if I wait to become british citizen first?

This forum had been an excellent platform on immigration information and advises. I cannot be more grateful to this forum over the past years. Thanks for having and maintaining an amazing platform like this.

Regards,

Ronin

CR001
Mood:
South Africa

Re: Child first British passport after parent's successful naturalisation application

Post by CR001 » Sun Sep 27, 2020 11:15 am

Topics merged.

You have already been advised on what to do and submit.

Your citizenship application or status is irrelevant to the child.

The child is automatically British and applies directly for a passport. The child's citizenships derives directly from being born to a parent holding ilr.
Char (CR001 not Casa)

ronin

Re: Child first British passport after parent's successful naturalisation application

Post by ronin » Sun Sep 27, 2020 11:21 am

Thanks CR001 and apology for creating new topic. Thanks a lot.

obormot
Member of Standing
France

Post by obormot » Sun Sep 27, 2020 11:25 am

You are not citizen until citizenship ceremony. You can apply for child passport now or later but:

My understanding is that in your case it is important NOT to send your BRP back to HO after you go through oath and get naturalisation certificate (in spite of standard guidelines) - since your BRP will be the main document to prove your child's British nationality if any questions arise in the future (even after you get UK passport for the child)

vinny

Post by vinny » Sun Sep 27, 2020 11:31 am

This is not intended to be legal or professional advice in any jurisdiction. Please click on any given links for further information. Refer to the source of any quotes.

ronin

Post by ronin » Sun Sep 27, 2020 3:33 pm

vinny wrote:
Sun Sep 27, 2020 11:31 am
Yes.
Thank you obormot for pointing out the issue, thanks Vinny for sharing links to similar sort of issues in the past. I was reading through those and situation can get little tricky if the child ever need to prove her BC in future. I'm worried now.

Is there a way to keep the ILR BRP following the oath ceremony? What I understood from previous posts, keeping a certified copy or SAR are ways to prove if needing to be. Is there actually a way to keep the BRP without getting £1,000 fine?

Thank you.

vinny

Post by vinny » Sun Sep 27, 2020 3:39 pm