ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Cover letter

A section for posts relating to applications for Naturalisation or Registration as a British Citizen. Naturalisation

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe

nnv2020
Newly Registered

AN form and documents - questions

Post by nnv2020 » Mon Jun 22, 2020 11:51 am

I've completed the application from and have a few questions. Apologies if they've been asked (and answered) - I did run a search.
1. I remember paying a penalty for not displaying the road tax payment (that was before they changed the rule) but can't find any details. Would it be something issued by DVLA, police or council? Also, I can't remember how it was qualified. Do I need to declare it as a driving offence or other penalty? (The question on the form seems to suggest a driving offence but I wasn't driving - the car was parked and, as I mentioned, the tax had been paid but not displayed, not sure if it makes any difference though).

2. I have a couple of FPNs for cigarette butts but I have since quit smoking. I've got a letter from GP, prescriptions, etc. related to this. Is it a good idea to mention this in the cover letter and attach these?

3. I'm an EEA citizen with permanent residence so need to provide proof of living in the UK. In 2016 I started a new job in July, left it in December and became self-employed so I don't have P60 for that year. Do I need to submit P45?

4. I'm now a director of my own company so going to submit P60s, a tax return and a council tax. Would that be sufficient as proof of living?

5. I have a permanent residence card but HO also sent a letter with the date when the permanent status was given. Do HO need a copy of this letter?
Sorry for the long post.

nnv2020
Newly Registered

Cover letter

Post by nnv2020 » Tue Jun 30, 2020 12:15 pm

I am going to write a cover letter as there are some points in the application form I would like to provide more details for. Are there any particular conventions for writing it? Does it have to be in 'legalese' or is it enough to just write a letter in a formal style?

nnv2020
Newly Registered

Re: Cover letter

Post by nnv2020 » Tue Jun 30, 2020 1:29 pm

Since the posts have been merged, I'll answer my own question 1 :-). The penalty for not displaying a tax disc is an FPN, so I'm going to include it there and will explain in the cover letter that it was a genuine mistake - I paid the tax but didn't display it so never intended to break the rule or deceive anyone.

Also, following the advice in other topics, I decided not to include extra documents related to smoking but will mention this in the cover letter and say they are available on request. The letter re permanent residence can be used as a proof of living so I'm going to use it.

Still not sure whether to use council tax, so any advice is appreciated!

alterhase58
Germany

Re: Cover letter

Post by alterhase58 » Tue Jun 30, 2020 1:41 pm

Council tax bills are acceptable as proof of residency where you don't have a P60.
There are no templates or specific conventions for a cover letter if you wish to add one - suffice to say it should be concise.
This is just my opinion as a member of this forum and does not constitute immigration advice.
Please do not send me private messages asking for advice.