ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Overstay

A section for posts relating to applications for Naturalisation or Registration as a British Citizen. Naturalisation

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe

Mukhiyas1
Newly Registered
Indonesia

Overstay

Post by Mukhiyas1 » Wed Jul 29, 2020 10:48 am

Hi there,

I want to apply for British Citizenship, and I am bit confused regarding the good character, in particular immigration offences. Back in 2013 my application for tier 4 was refused and appealed against it up to upper tribunal. My leave was extended by 3C up to the hearing on 14th of August 2013 but as my course had ended in June the same year I was sending emails and giving home office calls to return my passport since July 2013 before my upper tribunal hearing so I can return home but I got no answer at all from Home office so I had to go to my embassy and get an emergency document to get out of the country. I left the UK on 3rd of September 2013.

I have settled status now and would like to apply for BC so I requested my immigration record from the home office held for me. In that it shows I had overstayed. It’s less than 28 days after my 3C ended I guess but also it’s not my fault that I was not handed my passport back or any communication regarding that before 3C ended. I can see they have received my email with time stamp and also showing that I have requested my documents to go back home.

If you could advise me if it is possible for me to apply for British citizenship or not?

Many Thanks,

London22
Member of Standing

Re: Overstay

Post by London22 » Sat Aug 01, 2020 1:54 pm

Hello
It is likely that your application will be approved.Just overstaying can be disregarded if properly explained.Some people have overstayed but never worked during that &got approved.

Djsuccess
Diamond Member
Nigeria

Re: Overstay

Post by Djsuccess » Sat Aug 01, 2020 2:31 pm

Mukhiyas1 wrote:
Wed Jul 29, 2020 10:48 am
Hi there,

I want to apply for British Citizenship, and I am bit confused regarding the good character, in particular immigration offences. Back in 2013 my application for tier 4 was refused and appealed against it up to upper tribunal. My leave was extended by 3C up to the hearing on 14th of August 2013 but as my course had ended in June the same year I was sending emails and giving home office calls to return my passport since July 2013 before my upper tribunal hearing so I can return home but I got no answer at all from Home office so I had to go to my embassy and get an emergency document to get out of the country. I left the UK on 3rd of September 2013.

I have settled status now and would like to apply for BC so I requested my immigration record from the home office held for me. In that it shows I had overstayed. It’s less than 28 days after my 3C ended I guess but also it’s not my fault that I was not handed my passport back or any communication regarding that before 3C ended. I can see they have received my email with time stamp and also showing that I have requested my documents to go back home.

If you could advise me if it is possible for me to apply for British citizenship or not?

Many Thanks,
If they have it in your file that you overstayed but it was not your fault because they didn't release your travel document to you, it is possible that you have a chance. If the HO believes that you were in control and could have avoided overstaying, then I guess the overstay will remain. You will need to provide all the evidence (convincing I must say) to show that it was the fault of the HO. Having said that, I think it is up to you if you want to take the risk, as I don't think anyone can as a matter of certainty tell you what the outcome will be.
I am not a lawyer and do not claim to be one. All my comments here are based on my opinions, experience and interpretation of the appropriate UKVI guidance documents and immigration rules.