ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Amending Father Name in the UK

A section for posts relating to applications for Naturalisation or Registration as a British Citizen. Naturalisation

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe

tah097
Newly Registered

Amending Father Name in the UK

Post by tah097 » Mon Sep 21, 2020 11:33 am

Dear Respeced Moderators
Please help me to get rid of my anxiety.

I’ve recently become a British citizen through naturalisation and got the passport as well.
I’ve putted my parents details for naturalisation according to my Bangladeshi passport which I’ve used to come to the UK. Unfortunately, my stepfather name was on the passport which I couldn’t change because Bangladeshi system doesn’t allow to change or amend parents name.
My biological father is a Bangladeshi citizen, lives in the USA (green card holder), is seriously ill. I’m desperate to visit him ASAP. At the moment I can’t even claim him as my father because his name is not in the system.

My question, is it possible to amend my father details in HMPO or GRO system in the UK? If yes, can u please highlight me the steps for it?
I can do anything to make this correction.

Thank you.

Zerubbabel
Respected Guru
Mood:

Re: Amending Father Name in the UK

Post by Zerubbabel » Fri Sep 25, 2020 6:28 pm

Hello

I am sorry for your father. However, you can't change your details like that. You may open a can of worms of biblical proportion. This may even cast doubt on your true identity and put your British citizenship or passport into question.

Even if this was possible and legitimately doable, it may take years to actually do.

I understand you are eager to travel to United States, but the option you are considering is not valid.

vinny

Post by vinny » Sat Sep 26, 2020 12:55 am

Cannot visit at the moment anyway.
This is not intended to be legal or professional advice in any jurisdiction. Please click on any given links for further information. Refer to the source of any quotes.
We do not inherit the Earth from our ancestors, we borrow it from our children.

Obie
Ireland

Post by Obie » Sat Sep 26, 2020 12:41 pm

Need to do a DNA test, to prove that the other person was actually not your father, and you only found out later, only then, might you be able to change this on public record.

Your paternity does not form part of a person's Identity on public records.

I do not think this will have an effect on British citizenship.

I believe there are some exemption for travelling to America for family members of American permanent residence or Citzen on compassionate basis.
Smooth seas do not make skilful sailors

tah097
Newly Registered

Post by tah097 » Mon Oct 19, 2020 10:15 am

I truely appreciate all of your replies.
Just to let you know I did not enter the UK in parents right, I came here as a student and got settled after 10 years. Amending father name won’t be easy but hope I will be able to amend it with DNA test.
@zerubbabel: your answer has scared me a bit and made me to approach with more caution. After all these struggles obtained citizenship,definitely not willing anymore. But I’ve to do it anyway.
Thank you everyone 😎