ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Passport Renewal

A section for posts relating to applications for Naturalisation or Registration as a British Citizen. Naturalisation

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe

bruteforce
Mood:
Pakistan

Passport Renewal

Post by bruteforce » Sun Dec 06, 2020 1:21 pm

Hi

I recently had to replace my British passport and one of the documents they asked to see was original uncanceled (even expired) foreign passport. My question is, will they keep asking for the same every time I renew my passport? I don't use my foreign passport anymore & it will expire in a years time. This seems ridiculous to me that we have to send even expired passport to them each time. Thanks

alterhase58
Germany

Re: Passport Renewal

Post by alterhase58 » Sun Dec 06, 2020 1:45 pm

If the requirement remains on the application form then I would think yes.
The border force in your origin country could still allow you to enter even if your passport is expired - so it's still potentially a travel document.
https://assets.publishing.service.gov.u ... uments.pdf
This is just my opinion as a member of this forum and does not constitute immigration advice.
Please do not send me private messages asking for advice.

bruteforce
Mood:
Pakistan

Post by bruteforce » Sun Dec 06, 2020 1:48 pm

You might be happy with keeping an expired passport for lets say, 20 years, I am certainly not okay with that.

secret.simon

Post by secret.simon » Sun Dec 06, 2020 2:06 pm

bruteforce wrote:
Sun Dec 06, 2020 1:48 pm
You might be happy with keeping an expired passport for lets say, 20 years, I am certainly not okay with that.
Then get it officially cancelled. A cancelled passport will have a stamp that says "cancelled" and a corner clipped of the front cover off the passport. Such a passport will generally not be acceptable anywhere and so can be disregarded.
I am not a lawyer or immigration advisor. My statements/comments do not constitute legal advice. E&OE. Please do not PM me for advice.

vinny

Post by vinny » Sun Dec 06, 2020 2:06 pm

vinny wrote:
Mon Sep 28, 2020 6:48 am
After an unexpired British passport is renewed, then it may be cancelled. Probably similar with other countries.
This is not intended to be legal or professional advice in any jurisdiction. Please click on any given links for further information. Refer to the source of any quotes.
We do not inherit the Earth from our ancestors, we borrow it from our children.

alterhase58
Germany

Post by alterhase58 » Sun Dec 06, 2020 2:11 pm

bruteforce wrote:
Sun Dec 06, 2020 1:48 pm
I believe the requirement is not to keep them forever - you will still get a British passport if you don't have a foreign one to show.
This is just my opinion as a member of this forum and does not constitute immigration advice.
Please do not send me private messages asking for advice.

bruteforce
Mood:
Pakistan

Post by bruteforce » Sun Dec 06, 2020 2:45 pm

The problem is, Pakistani counsalate neither returns the passport nor they issue any letter stating passport has been cancelled. I guess I will have to just answer no to the question about any foreign passport.

In a separate instance, I had to send my Naturalistion certificate to renew my child’s passport. He was born in the U.K. and registered. At least they shouldn’t ask for any extra documents in that case.

secret.simon

Post by secret.simon » Sun Dec 06, 2020 3:23 pm

bruteforce wrote:
Sun Dec 06, 2020 2:45 pm
The problem is, Pakistani counsalate neither returns the passport nor they issue any letter stating passport has been cancelled.
If the Pakistani consulate retains your expired passport, there is no problem because you no longer have a expired uncancelled passport.
bruteforce wrote:
In a separate instance, I had to send my Naturalistion certificate to renew my child’s passport. He was born in the U.K. and registered. At least they shouldn’t ask for any extra documents in that case.
I agree. You should just need to send the child's registration certificate.

Possibly it was to check your immigration status in the UK (assuming that you submitted the passport application on the child's behalf)?
I am not a lawyer or immigration advisor. My statements/comments do not constitute legal advice. E&OE. Please do not PM me for advice.

bruteforce
Mood:
Pakistan

Post by bruteforce » Sun Dec 06, 2020 3:26 pm

secret.simon wrote:
Sun Dec 06, 2020 3:23 pm
bruteforce wrote:
The problem is, Pakistani counsalate neither returns the passport nor they issue any letter stating passport has been cancelled.
If the Pakistani consulate retains your expired passport, there is no problem because you no longer have a expired uncancelled passport.
Thanks, any thoughts about the other issue?

CULLINAN
Respected Guru
Pakistan

Post by CULLINAN » Sun Dec 06, 2020 8:50 pm

bruteforce wrote:
The problem is, Pakistani counsalate neither returns the passport nor they issue any letter stating passport has been cancelled. I guess I will have to just answer no to the question about any foreign passport.

I have 7 Pakistani passports (6 expired, 1 current going back to 1989) and none have been retained by the Pakistani consulate?

Also they put a cancelled stamp on the passport when you renew it before the previous is expired.
Personal opinion only, not to be mistaken for legal advice. Please DO NOT PM me for immigration advice. Love for All, Hatred for None.

CULLINAN
Respected Guru
Pakistan

Post by CULLINAN » Sun Dec 06, 2020 9:01 pm

The stamp says on my previous passport:

“A fresh passport No____ Dated___has been issued at Lahore in lieu of this passport”

I renewed in 2014 (10 year ones - previously it was 5 years option) when my previous was already valid till 2015.

Edit: Also I just checked: All previous 6 passports have the same stamp but no corners are cut. Also, I have all 7 originals in my custody.
Last edited by CULLINAN on Sun Dec 06, 2020 9:05 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Personal opinion only, not to be mistaken for legal advice. Please DO NOT PM me for immigration advice. Love for All, Hatred for None.

bruteforce
Mood:
Pakistan

Post by bruteforce » Sun Dec 06, 2020 9:04 pm

I don’t know why but they kept mine and won’t return.