ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

British Citizenship Ceremony - going out of country

A section for posts relating to applications for Naturalisation or Registration as a British Citizen. Naturalisation

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe

avaixhah

British Citizenship Ceremony - going out of country

Post by avaixhah » Tue Jan 19, 2021 9:21 am

Hi,

Please advise on the following scenario.

My friend received the letter to attend the British citizenship ceremony virtually in first week of Feb, But my friend is travelling out of country in end of January and wont be back in UK for at least couple of months.

Is it correct that if he delay his trip and attends the ceremony then his ILR will become expired and if he travels after the ceremony then he wont be able to come back to UK on his ILR.?

please advise.

thanks
Syed

bruteforce
Mood:
Pakistan

Re: British Citizenship Ceremony - going out of country

Post by bruteforce » Tue Jan 19, 2021 9:58 am

Technically, yes, but realistically the airlines won't refuse boarding as long as the physical ILR BRP is presented. Immigration officer also won't deny entry, the most they can do is keep the BRP & advise to apply for British Passport.

avaixhah

Post by avaixhah » Tue Jan 19, 2021 10:51 am

Thanks, but please advise what the official line is? ILR will be void once attended the ceremony?

bruteforce
Mood:
Pakistan

Post by bruteforce » Tue Jan 19, 2021 11:00 am

As stated above, technically ILR is lapsed once you have attended the ceremony and have signed and dated certificate in hand, having said that, A British citizen cannot be denied entry at the border. If your friend attends virtual ceremony even from overseas, he will be allowed to enter the U.K. on his ILR.

CR001
Mood:
South Africa

Post by CR001 » Tue Jan 19, 2021 11:15 am

bruteforce wrote:
Tue Jan 19, 2021 11:00 am
As stated above, technically ILR is lapsed once you have attended the ceremony and have signed and dated certificate in hand, having said that, A British citizen cannot be denied entry at the border. If your friend attends virtual ceremony even from overseas, he will be allowed to enter the U.K. on his ILR.
You cannot attend the virtual ceremony from abroad, this is clearly stated by all councils who do virtual ceremonies.
Char (CR001 not Casa)
In life you cannot press the Backspace button!!
Please DO NOT send me a PM for immigration advice. I reserve the right to ignore the PM and not respond.

bruteforce
Mood:
Pakistan

Post by bruteforce » Tue Jan 19, 2021 11:16 am

Didn’t know this. Makes sense though.

avaixhah

Post by avaixhah » Tue Jan 19, 2021 11:30 am

CR001 wrote:
Tue Jan 19, 2021 11:15 am
bruteforce wrote:
Tue Jan 19, 2021 11:00 am
You cannot attend the virtual ceremony from abroad, this is clearly stated by all councils who do virtual ceremonies.
Is it possible to delay the ceremony, let say for 3 months?

bruteforce
Mood:
Pakistan

Post by bruteforce » Tue Jan 19, 2021 11:38 am

secret.simon

Post by secret.simon » Tue Jan 19, 2021 1:21 pm

avaixhah wrote:
Tue Jan 19, 2021 10:51 am
Thanks, but please advise what the official line is? ILR will be void once attended the ceremony?
The official line is that a British citizen can't hold leave granted under the Immigration Act 1971. Therefore, when one becomes a British citizen, one ceases to be able to hold any form of leave, including ILR.
I am not a lawyer or immigration advisor. My statements/comments do not constitute legal advice. E&OE. Please do not PM me for advice.