ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Can Irish Citizen Apply for British Citizenship from Ireland?

A section for posts relating to applications for Naturalisation or Registration as a British Citizen. Naturalisation

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe

james2005
Mood:
Croatia

Can Irish Citizen Apply for British Citizenship from Ireland?

Post by james2005 » Sun Mar 07, 2021 1:12 pm

For example, if I am Non-Eu who is now a naturalised Irish Citizen living in Rep.of Ireland, can I apply for British Citizenship from here in Ireland? I see so many British citizen who applied for Irish citizenship from northern Ireland. Can it be the same?

CR001
Mood:
South Africa

Re: Can Irish Citizen Apply for British Citizenship from Ireland?

Post by CR001 » Sun Mar 07, 2021 1:38 pm

No, you cannot. To apply for British citizenship, you require 5 years residence and permanent residence (settled status) in the UK.

There is a special agreement between northern Ireland and the Republic of Ireland re Irish citizenship.
Char (CR001 not Casa)
In life you cannot press the Backspace button!!
Please DO NOT send me a PM for immigration advice. I reserve the right to ignore the PM and not respond.

secret.simon

Re: Can Irish Citizen Apply for British Citizenship from Ireland?

Post by secret.simon » Sun Mar 07, 2021 1:50 pm

British and Irish citizenship is not a case of BOGOF (Buy One Get One Free). You have to qualify for each in their own right.
james2005 wrote:
Sun Mar 07, 2021 1:12 pm
I see so many British citizen who applied for Irish citizenship from northern Ireland.
Northern Ireland is a special case, with a history going back a century (it was created in 1921) and both the UK and Ireland offer its citizenship to people born there who meet the requirements of their nationality law. The "people of Northern Ireland" (meaning those born in Northern Ireland with either British or Irish citizenship) are also protected by international treaties (the Belfast/Good Friday Agreement, etc) separate from the EU Treaties.

Many British citizens (as well as anybody around the world) who have Irish ancestry in the past two generations can also apply for Irish citizenship. Conversely anybody with a grandparent born in the UK can apply for an Ancestry visa leading to British citizenship as well.

In your case (as it would also be the case of somebody from the island of Great Britain moving to the Republic of Ireland without any Irish ancestry), you would need to relocate and reside in the UK for at least five years before getting British citizenship.

As you are an Irish citizen, you are free to move to the UK and would be considered settled on arrival in the UK (i.e. you would have almost all the same rights as a British citizen on arrival). However, you would need to meet the same conditions as a British citizen to move your non-Irish family here (a Minimum Income Requirement of £18,600, paying fees of upto £3300 per application, including the Immigration Health Surcharge, English language test, etc).
I am not a lawyer or immigration advisor. My statements/comments do not constitute legal advice. E&OE. Please do not PM me for advice.