ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

newly born baby citizenship

A section for posts relating to applications for Naturalisation or Registration as a British Citizen. Naturalisation

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe

Kumar1038
Cameroon

newly born baby citizenship

Post by Kumar1038 » Thu May 27, 2021 12:09 am

Hi all,

We are expecting baby in 6-8 weeks time . And i have few questions regarding childs ctizenship .

background of our immigration history.

Mother : Indian citizen who is working and living in Netherlands as a dependent of British citizen from 2019 till to date
Father : British citizen by naturalisation who is also living in Netherlands from 2019 till to date.

question 1 : Now ,if the child is born in Netherlands ...will he/she be eligible for british citizenip or not ..? if Yes, pls guide the form to use from abroad

question 2 : Do i need to register childs birth in UK aswell apart from registering in NEtherlands ?
thank you

CULLINAN
Respected Guru
Pakistan

Re: newly born baby citizenship

Post by CULLINAN » Thu May 27, 2021 12:22 am

Your child born in Netherlands will be automatically British by descent since you are a British Citizen otherwise by descent.

You can apply a British passport directly after child’s birth. Netherland’s birth certificate is okay.

https://www.gov.uk/overseas-passports

Note, the child will not be able to pass on British Citizenship automatically to child’s children in the future if born outside UK.
Personal opinion only, not to be mistaken for legal advice. Please DO NOT PM me for immigration advice. Love for All, Hatred for None.

Kumar1038
Cameroon

Post by Kumar1038 » Thu May 27, 2021 12:35 am

Thank you Cullinan for your quick response

Kumar1038
Cameroon

Post by Kumar1038 » Sat Jun 26, 2021 10:00 pm

Hi Cullinan ...Do i need to register my child birth with any of the British authorities /organisations in UK ..? If Yes..then is it compulsory or optional .?

secret.simon

Post by secret.simon » Sat Jun 26, 2021 10:04 pm

Kumar1038 wrote:
Sat Jun 26, 2021 10:00 pm
Do i need to register my child birth with any of the British authorities /organisations in UK ..?
You don't have to. It is not compulsory.
Kumar1038 wrote:
Sat Jun 26, 2021 10:00 pm
is it compulsory or optional .?
It is optional. You can register the birth of the child with the British diplomatic authorities in the country where the birth took place, if for some reason, you want the birth to be entered on the birth registers in the UK.

Keep in mind that as the child is born abroad, they will not be able to automatically pass on their British citizenship to their own children (your grandchildren) born abroad.
I am not a lawyer or immigration advisor. My statements/comments do not constitute legal advice. E&OE. Please do not PM me for advice.

vinny

Post by vinny » Sun Jun 27, 2021 8:34 am

A Consular Birth Certificate may no longer be worth the UK Government’s branded paper it’s printed on.
This is not intended to be legal or professional advice in any jurisdiction. Please click on any given links for further information. Refer to the source of any quotes.
We do not inherit the Earth from our ancestors, we borrow it from our children.

Kumar1038
Cameroon

Post by Kumar1038 » Mon Sep 06, 2021 2:46 am

Thank you all for the response . My daughter was born on 22nd AUG and now we want to apply for her UK passport . In this process we have been asked for both maternal and paternal side birth certificates and marriage certificates of my parents and my wife’s parents . But , unfortunately these records are not available . How can I overcome this situation . Pls help .

vinny

Post by vinny » Mon Sep 06, 2021 7:55 am

I don’t understand why they require documents of child’s grandparents? They are irrelevant under Section 2(1)(a) when child’s father is British otherwise than by descent via naturalisation.

Ask whoever asked for the grandparents’ details to explain their relevance?
This is not intended to be legal or professional advice in any jurisdiction. Please click on any given links for further information. Refer to the source of any quotes.

Kumar1038
Cameroon

Post by Kumar1038 » Mon Sep 06, 2021 11:35 am

vinny wrote:
Mon Sep 06, 2021 7:55 am
I don’t understand why they require documents of child’s grandparents? They are irrelevant under Section 2(1)(a) when child’s father is British otherwise than by descent via naturalisation.

Ask whoever asked for the grandparents’ details to explain their relevance?
Yeah thats true …we are happy to provide if they are available ..but in our case .. our parents never recorded their births and marriages in those days in India (1955’s year) so unable to provide .

Do you think a cover letter explaining the situation would suffice rather than questioning them…? Pls provide your opinion . Thank you

vinny

Post by vinny » Mon Sep 06, 2021 12:08 pm

Then just cite the relevant legislation and guidance.

HCJNL

Post by HCJNL » Mon Sep 06, 2021 1:19 pm

Kumar1038 wrote:
Mon Sep 06, 2021 2:46 am
Thank you all for the response . My daughter was born on 22nd AUG and now we want to apply for her UK passport . In this process we have been asked for both maternal and paternal side birth certificates and marriage certificates of my parents and my wife’s parents . But , unfortunately these records are not available . How can I overcome this situation . Pls help .
I don't think you have actually made the application yet.
I just looked at the early stages of the online application, when applying from The Netherlands. I see a message
Grandparents’ details
Based on what you tell us, we may ask for their:
name, date and place of birth
date of marriage or civil partnership (if this applies)

I did not follow it through by making an actual application, of course. But I am hopeful all references to grandparents will disappear as soon as you go through the whole process of applying, because, as Vinny pointed out, your child qualifies as British via one parent's naturalization, rendering grandparents' details irrelevant.

Kumar1038
Cameroon

Post by Kumar1038 » Mon Sep 06, 2021 8:24 pm

HCJNL wrote:
Mon Sep 06, 2021 1:19 pm
Kumar1038 wrote:
Mon Sep 06, 2021 2:46 am
I don't think you have actually made the application yet.
I just looked at the early stages of the online application, when applying from The Netherlands. I see a message
Grandparents’ details
Based on what you tell us, we may ask for their:
name, date and place of birth
date of marriage or civil partnership (if this applies)

I did not follow it through by making an actual application, of course. But I am hopeful all references to grandparents will disappear as soon as you go through the whole process of applying, because, as Vinny pointed out, your child qualifies as British via one parent's naturalization, rendering grandparents' details irrelevant.
I have just submitted the application. But they need the grand parents birth and marriage details.. both maternal and paternal side .Now, I am just waiting for my friend to confirm my new born daughters identity.

vinny

Post by vinny » Tue Sep 07, 2021 12:12 am

There may be a glitch in the application. Put “N/A”? If they persist, then ask them to explain the relevance or omit the questions.