ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Renewing child passport while living abroad

A section for posts relating to applications for Naturalisation or Registration as a British Citizen. Naturalisation

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe

blueandred
Newly Registered

Renewing child passport while living abroad

Post by blueandred » Sat Jun 12, 2021 8:05 am

My daughter has been born in the UK and she became a British citizen (based on the parents settled status). However none of us are British citizens.

Her British passport will expire within the next year, when she turns 5.

In case we move out of the UK and settle in an EU country within the next few months, will there be any problems with renewing her passport (applying from abroad)?

I have heard some cases that children where denied a new passport when they tried to renew, while living in another country. And the fact that neither of us (parents) are British citizens doesn't probably help.

Will she remain a British citizen and be eligible to renew her passport every 5 years, if we decide to move out of the UK?

Thank you for your help!

vinny

Re: Renewing child passport while living abroad

Post by vinny » Sat Jun 12, 2021 8:21 am

If you move, then, after a time, you may lose settled status in the UK.

Unless one parent objects, then what would be a ground for denial?
This is not intended to be legal or professional advice in any jurisdiction. Please click on any given links for further information. Refer to the source of any quotes.
We do not inherit the Earth from our ancestors, we borrow it from our children.

secret.simon

Post by secret.simon » Sat Jun 12, 2021 8:25 am

blueandred wrote:
Sat Jun 12, 2021 8:05 am
Will she remain a British citizen and be eligible to renew her passport every 5 years, if we decide to move out of the UK?
She will remain a British citizen for life.

However be sure to retain the original documentation of the parents' Settled Status (biometric card or Home Office letter, etc) at the time of her birth. She may be asked to provide the original documentation even at future renewals or applications for British passports for her children, etc.
I am not a lawyer or immigration advisor. My statements/comments do not constitute legal advice. E&OE. Please do not PM me for advice.

blueandred
Newly Registered

Post by blueandred » Sat Jun 12, 2021 8:34 am

vinny wrote:
Sat Jun 12, 2021 8:21 am
If you move, then, after a time, you may lose settled status in the UK.

Unless one parent objects, then what would be a ground for denial?
Yes, if we lost settled status in the UK, would that affect our daughter's British citizenship/ ability to renew her passport?

blueandred
Newly Registered

Post by blueandred » Sat Jun 12, 2021 8:36 am

secret.simon wrote:
Sat Jun 12, 2021 8:25 am
blueandred wrote:

However be sure to retain the original documentation of the parents' Settled Status (biometric card or Home Office letter, etc) at the time of her birth. She may be asked to provide the original documentation even at future renewals or applications for British passports for her children, etc.
Thank you.

So it's the original 'settled status' documents of the parents, that matter? And not the current settled status of the parents. E.g. in case we lose our settled status after moving abroad?

CR001
Mood:
South Africa

Post by CR001 » Sat Jun 12, 2021 8:38 am

Your previous posts states you are already British?

british-citizenship/does-a-child-get-br ... l#p1979536
Char (CR001 not Casa)
In life you cannot press the Backspace button!!
Please DO NOT send me a PM for immigration advice. I reserve the right to ignore the PM and not respond.

blueandred
Newly Registered

Post by blueandred » Sat Jun 12, 2021 8:41 am

CR001 wrote:
Sat Jun 12, 2021 8:38 am
Your previous posts states you are already British?

british-citizenship/does-a-child-get-br ... l#p1979536
I am not, I was asking that question for our friend's before. Thanks

vinny

Post by vinny » Sat Jun 12, 2021 9:42 am

blueandred wrote:
Sat Jun 12, 2021 8:36 am
secret.simon wrote:
Sat Jun 12, 2021 8:25 am
blueandred wrote:

Thank you.

So it's the original 'settled status' documents of the parents, that matter? And not the current settled status of the parents. E.g. in case we lose our settled status after moving abroad?
Yes.
This is not intended to be legal or professional advice in any jurisdiction. Please click on any given links for further information. Refer to the source of any quotes.
We do not inherit the Earth from our ancestors, we borrow it from our children.

secret.simon

Post by secret.simon » Sat Jun 12, 2021 12:15 pm

blueandred wrote:
Sat Jun 12, 2021 8:36 am
Your daughter is a British citizen because she was born in the UK to parents who were settled in the UK at the time of her birth.

So she would need proof of her birth in the UK (her UK birth certificate) and proof that one or both parents had settled status (ILR/PR/Settled Status) at the time of her birth.

So the proof of settled status must precede her birth.
blueandred wrote:
Sat Jun 12, 2021 8:34 am
Yes, if we lost settled status in the UK, would that affect our daughter's British citizenship/ ability to renew her passport?
No, provided you have the proof mentioned above.
I am not a lawyer or immigration advisor. My statements/comments do not constitute legal advice. E&OE. Please do not PM me for advice.