ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

can I legally separate from my husband after receiving Citizenship Naturalisation certificate

A section for posts relating to applications for Naturalisation or Registration as a British Citizen. Naturalisation

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe

Julia1995
Newly Registered
Ukraine

can I legally separate from my husband after receiving Citizenship Naturalisation certificate

Post by Julia1995 » Tue Jul 06, 2021 5:55 pm

Hi, I and my husband are married for just over 6 years. I spent about 6 years in the UK on a spouse visa. My ILR application got successful in January 2021. I just received my British citizenship naturalisation certificate a few days ago. I now have applied for my first passport.

My husband and I started to have problems in our relationship recently and so we decided to divorce, but as Scotland rules are different. You have to be separated for minimum a year before you can get divorced, so we decided to separate legally for the time being and eventually get divorced.

My question is, will legal separation effect my citizenship in anyway now or in the future. As we decided to separated right after I received my citizenship naturalisation certificate. UKVI might think later that I married for British citizenship and that might effect me in any way.

Do you think it is okay to separate legally from partner without getting into any problem immigration wise now or in the future? if so, should I wait for my passport to arrive before legal separation or it doesn't really matter?

I appreciate your answers and will be very grateful for giving the time to read and answer my question in advance.
thanks very much!

Casa

Re: can I legally separate from my husband after receiving Citizenship Naturalisation certificate

Post by Casa » Tue Jul 06, 2021 9:12 pm

You are overthinking this. There won't be an issue.
(Casa, not CR001)
Please don't send me PMs asking for immigration advice on posts that are on the open forum. If I haven't responded there, it's because I don't have the answer. I'm a moderator, not a legal professional.

Julia1995
Newly Registered
Ukraine

Re: can I legally separate from my husband after receiving Citizenship Naturalisation certificate

Post by Julia1995 » Wed Jul 07, 2021 3:05 pm

Thanks Casa, that's great to hear!