ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Child passport

A section for posts relating to applications for Naturalisation or Registration as a British Citizen. Naturalisation

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe

Huntsgale19
Pakistan

Child passport

Post by Huntsgale19 » Mon Jul 19, 2021 9:36 am

Dear All members.
I’m writing on behalf of my friend who’s British citizen but not living in the U.K. for last 3 years (working in Canada). He’s expecting a child in his home country (India) wondering if he can apply for passport for his child, also wants to come back to U.K. and stabilise his life here. He’s confused with his absence from U.K. that might be any trouble for him to get 1st passport of his child

secret.simon

Re: Child passport

Post by secret.simon » Mon Jul 19, 2021 10:18 am

Huntsgale19 wrote:
Mon Jul 19, 2021 9:36 am
He’s expecting a child in his home country (India)
As he is a British citizen but whose home country is India, I presume that he became a British citizen by naturalisation.

If that is the case, provided the child is born on or after the date on his naturalisation certificate, the child will be a British citizen by descent automatically and can apply directly for a British passport.

Make your friend aware that
a) first child British passports can take six months to a year to process from the Indian sub-continent, and
b) as the child is a British citizen by descent (having been born outside the UK themselves), they will not be able to automatically pass on British citizenship to their own children (your friend's grandchildren) if their children are born abroad as well.

Also show him this thread.
I am not a lawyer or immigration advisor. My statements/comments do not constitute legal advice. E&OE. Please do not PM me for advice.