ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Worked more hours on student visa- is it issue for naturalization

A section for posts relating to applications for Naturalisation or Registration as a British Citizen. Naturalisation

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe

Sunshine86
Mood:
India

How to prove my exemption from immigration control for Citizenship application

Post by Sunshine86 » Sun Jul 18, 2021 2:48 pm

Hi,

I received settled status under the EU settlement scheme (via Surinder Singh route) last month and also received an email along with an attachment (letter) confirming the same i.e. Indefinite Leave so all good here.

Now I am preparing to apply for the citizenship application but unsure what I really can provide to prove my exemption from immigration control.

Do you think I can provide one or both from the below documentation to prove my freedom from time restrictions:

1) A letter that I received in an email from the UKVI (EU settlement scheme although it does say on the letter that its not proof of my status) or/and
2) BRC card issued to me when I was endowed with pre-settled status (still valid) but unsure if this is automatically linked to the digital settled status

or do I need to apply for the replacement of the current BRC card from pre-settlement to settled status so I have a physical proof of my current status?

Thanks

alterhase58
Germany

Re: How to prove my exemption from immigration control for Citizenship application

Post by alterhase58 » Sun Jul 18, 2021 3:16 pm

Do 1) and 2).
Your approval email should contain a reference number - they can find you with that. Plus scan of BRP - don't think the card is an issue.
This is just my opinion as a member of this forum and does not constitute immigration advice.
Please do not send me private messages asking for advice.

Sunshine86
Mood:
India

Re: How to prove my exemption from immigration control for Citizenship application

Post by Sunshine86 » Sun Jul 18, 2021 3:38 pm

Thank you for your response. Much appreciated.

Sunshine86
Mood:
India

"Proof of living in the UK": What to show when holding multiple passports

Post by Sunshine86 » Thu Jul 22, 2021 6:43 pm

Can anyone please assist me with the specific query I have in relation to my naturalisation application.

I am an Indian national holding settled status since July 2021 but first came to the UK in 2005.

Therefore in order to prove that I have lived in the UK for the last 3 years (applying on the basis that I'm married to the BC); do I need to provide all of my 3 passports to the UKVI or the most recent one which covers the stamps for the qualifying period of '3 years'.

Secondly, in relation the question when I first entered the UK, should it be 2005 or 2015 when I returned back after 3 years?

Additional information on my passports to help with the query:
My first passport contains the first entry stamp when I travelled to the UK in 2005.
Second passport contains the exit stamp when I left the UK in 2012 for 3 years(returned in 2015).
My third and the current one has lots of entry and exit stamps of my travels in/out of the UK from the last 3 years but it doesn't contain the entry stamp from 2015 when I returned (mainly because I had the EEA family permit card and they didnt put a stamp against this visa).

Sunshine86
Mood:
India

Will this be considered as "illegal working" on my application?

Post by Sunshine86 » Thu Jul 22, 2021 7:07 pm

I first came to the UK in 2005 and stayed until 2012 mainly through student visas. Whilst in the UK I had been working more than 20 hours against the student visa working guidelines in order to fund my college and university fees.

So fast forward 2021 where I now hold an ILR (or settled status) and preparing to apply for naturalisation. Under the section of providing employment history for the last 10 years, I have to mention my employment details from July 2011 onwards.

My concern and question is when I provide the above employment details between 2011/2012 inc, will it be considered as ''illegal working'' since I worked more than 20 hours.

On reading the published guidance document from UKVI which describes illegal working as:

Illegal working causes damaging social and economic problems for the UK. It
undercuts businesses that operate within the law, undermines British workers and
exploits migrant workers.
An application will normally be refused if, within the previous 10 years (before the
date of decision), the person has worked in the UK when their conditions of leave
prohibited employment.

So based on the above guideline, is this considered as illegal? I think I know the answer to be yes, but wanted to get an expert opinion from here.
Thanks

CR001
Mood:
South Africa

Post by CR001 » Thu Jul 22, 2021 7:13 pm

Topics merged. It is not necessary to start multiple new topics with each question you have!!! Keep all questions on the same application in one topic,this one!
Char (CR001 not Casa)
In life you cannot press the Backspace button!!
Please DO NOT send me a PM for immigration advice. I reserve the right to ignore the PM and not respond.

Sunshine86
Mood:
India

Re: "Proof of living in the UK": What to show when holding multiple passports

Post by Sunshine86 » Fri Jul 23, 2021 8:33 am

Sunshine86 wrote:
Thu Jul 22, 2021 6:43 pm
Can anyone please assist me with the specific query I have in relation to my naturalisation application.

I am an Indian national holding settled status since July 2021 but first came to the UK in 2005.

Therefore in order to prove that I have lived in the UK for the last 3 years (applying on the basis that I'm married to the BC); do I need to provide all of my 3 passports to the UKVI or the most recent one which covers the stamps for the qualifying period of '3 years'.

Secondly, in relation the question when I first entered the UK, should it be 2005 or 2015 when I returned back after 3 years?

Additional information on my passports to help with the query:
My first passport contains the first entry stamp when I travelled to the UK in 2005.
Second passport contains the exit stamp when I left the UK in 2012 for 3 years(returned in 2015).
My third and the current one has lots of entry and exit stamps of my travels in/out of the UK from the last 3 years but it doesn't contain the entry stamp from 2015 when I returned (mainly because I had the EEA family permit card and they didnt put a stamp against this visa).

Sunshine86
Mood:
India

Post by Sunshine86 » Fri Jul 23, 2021 8:46 am

CR001 wrote:
Thu Jul 22, 2021 7:13 pm
Topics merged. It is not necessary to start multiple new topics with each question you have!!! Keep all questions on the same application in one topic,this one!
Thanks @CR001. Didn't realise I could have all the questions under the same topic.
Is it possible to change the header of this post to make it more generalised as this topic encapsulates other queries within it thus giving away an incorrect impression.

Sunshine86
Mood:
India

Worked more hours on student visa- is it issue for naturalization

Post by Sunshine86 » Sat Jul 24, 2021 2:25 pm

Under the section of providing employment history for the last 10 years, I have to mention my employment details from July 2011 onwards where I worked more than 20 hours whilst being on student visa at that time.

On reading the published guidance document from UKVI which says:
An application will normally be refused if, within the previous 10 years (before the
date of decision), the person has worked in the UK when their conditions of leave
prohibited employment.

So based on the above guideline, is this considered as illegal?
Thanks

Sunshine86
Mood:
India

Re: Worked more hours on student visa- is it issue for naturalization

Post by Sunshine86 » Sun Jul 25, 2021 8:14 pm

Sunshine86 wrote:
Sat Jul 24, 2021 2:25 pm
Under the section of providing employment history for the last 10 years, I have to mention my employment details from July 2011 onwards where I worked more than 20 hours whilst being on student visa at that time.

On reading the published guidance document from UKVI which says:
prohibited employment.

So based on the above guideline, is this considered as illegal?
Thanks
Hi

Is anyone able to share their opinion please?

Thanks

CR001
Mood:
South Africa

Post by CR001 » Mon Jul 26, 2021 5:08 am

Working more than you were allowed on a student visa is a breach of your visa conditions and could lead to a refusal.
Char (CR001 not Casa)
In life you cannot press the Backspace button!!
Please DO NOT send me a PM for immigration advice. I reserve the right to ignore the PM and not respond.

vinny

Post by vinny » Mon Jul 26, 2021 6:38 am

Therefore, suggest waiting until at least 10 years have passed since you had stopped breaching your conditions.
This is not intended to be legal or professional advice in any jurisdiction. Please click on any given links for further information. Refer to the source of any quotes.
We do not inherit the Earth from our ancestors, we borrow it from our children.

Sunshine86
Mood:
India

Post by Sunshine86 » Tue Jul 27, 2021 5:05 pm

Thank you both for your reply.