ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Travel outside UK after Ceremony

A section for posts relating to applications for Naturalisation or Registration as a British Citizen. Naturalisation

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe

Sunny80
Newly Registered

Citizenship application approved but travelling abroad during Ceremony time limit

Post by Sunny80 » Mon Jul 26, 2021 5:32 pm

Hi
I applied for British Citizenship along with my wife and dughter in the end of May 2021. Two days ago we recieved the approval/invitation letter.

The letter says we must book and attend ceremoney within 3 months from the date of invitation.

A month ago we booked our flight to Pakistan for 27 Aug. We will come back on 10 October 2021.

Can we ask the local authority to give us a date for the ceremoney in October when we are back.
We will be travelling on our Pakistani Passports and ILR status. Will we be able to re enter into UK on BRP cards?

Soon after getting British passports my wife and daughter will leave UK forever (atleast 7 years if not forever). Do they need to declare it with HM Revenue and other authorities?

Please ignore if any of the question is irrelavent to this forum.

Thanks in advance.

secret.simon

Re: Citizenship application approved but travelling abroad during Ceremony time limit

Post by secret.simon » Mon Jul 26, 2021 5:58 pm

Sunny80 wrote:
Mon Jul 26, 2021 5:32 pm
The letter says we must book and attend ceremoney within 3 months from the date of invitation.
I thought that was extended to six months due to the pandemic. Perhaps they have returned back to the standard three months now.
Sunny80 wrote:
Can we ask the local authority to give us a date for the ceremoney in October when we are back.
You can ask. But it will be the Home Office, not the council, that will make the decision. The council will be required to return the naturalisation certificate to the Home Office by a certain date if the citizenship ceremony has not taken place by that date.
Sunny80 wrote:
Soon after getting British passports my wife and daughter will leave UK forever (atleast 7 years if not forever). Do they need to declare it with HM Revenue and other authorities?
No, but keep in mind that if the daughter plans to go to uni in the UK, in order to qualify for student loans and Home Student status, she will need to be resident in the UK for at least three years before the first day of the the first year of the university course. That requirement applies to British citizens as well.
I am not a lawyer or immigration advisor. My statements/comments do not constitute legal advice. E&OE. Please do not PM me for advice.

Sunny80
Newly Registered

Travel outside UK after Ceremony

Post by Sunny80 » Sun Aug 08, 2021 4:51 am

Hi

My wife and 12yo daughter have just recieved their ceremony invitation letters for September but they have already booked flight to Pakistan end of August. My daughter will get her schooling in Pakistan till IGCSE qualification. Her School starts in September.

Their request to change ceremony date to December has been accepted. They will come back to UK for a few days just to attend ceremony and to apply for passport.

Their BRP cards will become invalid after ceremony will they be able to fly back home (Pakistan) without the BRP card?

If they decide not to leave until getting their first passport how long will they have to wait after submitting the application? Daughter must go back to school asap.

Thanks.

magicsign
Italy

Re: Citizenship application approved but travelling abroad during Ceremony time limit

Post by magicsign » Sun Aug 08, 2021 8:32 am

Sunny80 wrote:

This violates the future intentions requirement and can be considered deception by the Home Office when they applied for naturalisation, if they get to know they are leaving forever, or at least 7 years as you mentioned soon after they get their British passport. If I was you I wouldn't advise any authority regarding this matter, you might risk having their citizenship invalidated.

I understand why the Home Office is getting tougher over the years, this is a clear example.

Sunny80
Newly Registered

Post by Sunny80 » Sun Aug 08, 2021 9:21 am

magicsign wrote:
Sun Aug 08, 2021 8:32 am
Sunny80 wrote:

This violates the future intentions requirement and can be considered deception by the Home Office when they applied for naturalisation, if they get to know they are leaving forever, or at least 7 years as you mentioned soon after they get their British passport. If I was you I wouldn't advise any authority regarding this matter, you might risk having their citizenship invalidated.

I understand why the Home Office is getting tougher over the years, this is a clear example.
Thanks for the advise!

Can you also look at my last post and advise please.