ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Debt relief order and naturalisation

A section for posts relating to applications for Naturalisation or Registration as a British Citizen. Naturalisation

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe

JackieM
inactive

Debt relief order and naturalisation

Post by JackieM » Sat Dec 25, 2021 1:08 am

Just wanted to get some advice please. I was working as a nurse in 2020, got infected with covid and developed something called long covid. I was too sick to work since then and as such, I couldn't keep up with my monthly debt repayments, so I was advised to apply for a debt relief order (DRO).

I am currently receiving Universal credit and PIP enhanced disability support due to post covid mobility issues. I cannot easily go back to my busy nursing job, where I was on my feet for 12 hours a day. So it's difficult to find an alternative nursing position.

The DRO is discharged in Feb 2022 and I was wondering if having a DRO will bar me from getting british citizenship under the good character requirements?

I currently have ILR.

Amber
Mood:

Re: Debt relief order and naturalisation

Post by Amber » Sat Dec 25, 2021 7:34 am

A clear intention not to pay debts can be an issue for the Good character requirement. A DRO is a form of insolvency so I’d certainly suggest waiting until the 12 month moratorium period has lapsed. Post again here when that’s the case and we can check the guidance at that point.
**this forum is not intended to be a substitute for professional advice**
Click here to send me a PM regarding an offensive post. Do NOT PM me for immigration advice.

JackieM
inactive

Post by JackieM » Sat Dec 25, 2021 8:07 am

Thanks Amber for the reply. Just one more question please, I am currently actively searching for employment, and I was wondering, if I did manage to secure work before the moratorium period is over, then get the DRO cancelled and set up a debt payment plan, could this then show a serious intention to pay the debts?

I believe the DRO would still show on my credit report, but if I get a sort of debt reconsolidation plan and attach this to my application, would this be more favourable? I really would not want to jeopardise any citizenship application.

Sorry for the long question

Amber
Mood:

Post by Amber » Mon Dec 27, 2021 9:15 pm

An application will not normally be refused simply because the person is in debt, especially if loan repayments have been made as agreed or if acceptable efforts are being made to pay off accumulated debts.
**this forum is not intended to be a substitute for professional advice**
Click here to send me a PM regarding an offensive post. Do NOT PM me for immigration advice.