ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Questions regarding english test

A section for posts relating to applications for Naturalisation or Registration as a British Citizen. Naturalisation

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe

ladypotter
Newly Registered
Philippines

Questions regarding english test

Post by ladypotter » Sat Jan 22, 2022 1:34 am

Hello,
Im applying online for naturalisation. I am now 1 yr after getting ilr via 5 yr tier 2. With ilr application, i did not take any english test as my IELTS UKVI was used on my entry clearance.
With regards to my application, i know i should tick yes for "do you meet english language criteria for ilr on or after 28 October 2013. "
The next question would include what type of english qualification is applicable to the applicant. Included there is the english language test, should i input yes or no? If I put in yes,they have included in the document requirement the need to provide my english certificate. If I answer no, it would not appear on the document checklist.
I am just so confused whether i should tick yes or no and if ever, will they accept my 2015 IELTS UKVI?

vinny

Re: Questions regarding english test

Post by vinny » Sat Jan 22, 2022 1:49 am

ladypotter wrote:
Sat Jan 22, 2022 1:34 am
Hello,
Im applying online for naturalisation. I am now 1 yr after getting ilr via 5 yr tier 2. With ilr application, i did not take any english test as my IELTS UKVI was used on my entry clearance.
With regards to my application, i know i should tick yes for "do you meet english language criteria for ilr on or after 28 October 2013. "
I think “yes”.
ladypotter wrote:
The next question would include what type of english qualification is applicable to the applicant. Included there is the english language test, should i input yes or no? If I put in yes,they have included in the document requirement the need to provide my english certificate. If I answer no, it would not appear on the document checklist.
I think “yes”.
ladypotter wrote:
I am just so confused whether i should tick yes or no and if ever, will they accept my 2015 IELTS UKVI?
I think yes.
This is not intended to be legal or professional advice in any jurisdiction. Please click on any given links for further information. Refer to the source of any quotes.
We do not inherit the Earth from our ancestors, we borrow it from our children.

ladypotter
Newly Registered
Philippines

Post by ladypotter » Sat Jan 22, 2022 1:15 pm

I was thinking of answering yes to those questions but i have been reading some forums here and they said they were told to take another test as the home office didnt accept their expired test.

vinny

Post by vinny » Sat Jan 22, 2022 2:10 pm

In the past, I think the KoLL Guidance was clearer.
vinny wrote:
Fri Oct 23, 2020 11:23 pm
Applications made on or after 12 November 2015 for naturalisation and on or after 19 November 2015 for ILR
Naturalisation applications

A person who successfully made an application for indefinite leave to remain on the basis of a B1 level qualification can meet the English language requirement for naturalisation without needing to pass another qualification. This is regardless of whether the original qualification is on the current SELT list.
Unfortunately, the introduction of Appendix KOL UK,
This Appendix sets out how the Knowledge of Life in the UK requirement is met by a person applying for settlement.

It applies only to applications under Appendix Student, Appendix Skilled Worker, Appendix Representatives of an Overseas Business, Appendix T2 Minister of Religion, Appendix T2 Sportsperson, Appendix UK Ancestry, Appendix Global Talent, Appendix Innovator, Appendix T5 (Temporary Worker) International Agreement Worker, Appendix Domestic Worker in a Private Household, and Appendix Hong Kong British National (Overseas).

Applications for settlement under other routes must continue to apply Appendix KOLL.
muddled the reuse of a successful English language qualification for ILR for the purposes of Naturalisation. Moreover, Appendix Student, which does not lead to settlement, has neither KoLL nor KOL UK requirements.

The current KoLL Guidance has a confusing update:
A person applying after 1 December 2020 for settlement on the Skilled Worker, Representatives of an Overseas Business, T2 Minister of Religion, T2 Sportsperson, UK Ancestry, Global Talent, Innovator, T5 (Temporary Worker) International Agreement Workers who are private servants in a diplomatic household, or Hong Kong British National (Overseas) routes can also meet the English Language requirement for settlement if they:
  • have previously shown they meet the required level in a successful application
For guidance on the considering the English requirement for these routes you should see Assessing the English Language requirement guidance for these routes.

A person who successfully made an indefinite leave to remain (ILR) application on the basis of a B1 level qualification can meet the English language requirement for naturalisation without needing to pass another qualification, but will be required to pass the Life in the UK test if they have not already done so.
A problem is that some main applicant’s settlement rules with the KOL UK requirement actually currently exclude an English language requirement, i.e. Skilled worker, T2 Minister of Religion and Innovator. Therefore, if there wasn’t an English language requirement for ILR, then both applicants and caseworkers may be very confused with reusing an expired English Language qualification for the purposes of Naturalisation.

We also seem to have anomalies with the current rules and Guidance. For example, ILR holders who had obtained ILR via Tier 2 (General), may also reuse the an expired English language qualification for Naturalisation. However, a Skilled worker apparently cannot reuse an expired English qualification for ILR for the purposes of Naturalisation if there was no English Language requirement for ILR. Moreover, a Skilled workers’s adult dependants may reuse expired English language qualifications for ILR for the purposes of Naturalisation.

Another question is if KOL UK was supposed to go hand in hand with Appendix English, then why introduce Appendix KOL UK when there is Appendix KoLL?
This is not intended to be legal or professional advice in any jurisdiction. Please click on any given links for further information. Refer to the source of any quotes.

vinny

Post by vinny » Tue Jun 06, 2023 12:46 am

Update:
Applications for settlement under simplified routes made after 1 December 2020

Applications for settlement under the following routes are subject to separate simplified Immigration Rules on English language and Knowledge of Life in the UK, which can be found at Appendix English Language and Appendix KoL UK:
  • Skilled Worker
  • Representatives of an Overseas Business
  • T2 Minister of Religion
  • T2 Sportsperson
  • UK Ancestry
  • Global Talent
  • Innovator
  • T5 (Temporary Worker) International Agreement Workers who are private
    servants in a diplomatic household
  • Hong Kong British National (Overseas)
For these routes, please refer to the guidance on Assessing the English Language requirement to consider how these applicants meet the English language requirements set out under the simplified rules. For Life in the UK the guidance below continues to apply to these routes.