ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Loss British citizenship

A section for posts relating to applications for Naturalisation or Registration as a British Citizen. Naturalisation

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe

kiss300
Member of Standing
Mood:
Ghana

Loss British citizenship

Post by kiss300 » Tue Apr 19, 2022 8:07 pm

Hi all,

A friend of mine reached out to me after doing a DNA on his daughter found out that her daughter was not the current husbands daughter.

The mother is wasn’t a British when the daughter was born. It was through the husband that her daughter got her British citizenship. Does the daughter lose her British citizenship since the man is no longer her father? Mum has a British citizenship now how do they go about things?

alterhase58
Germany

Re: Loss British citizenship

Post by alterhase58 » Tue Apr 19, 2022 9:45 pm

What UK status did the mother have at the time of birth?
This is just my opinion as a member of this forum and does not constitute immigration advice.
Please do not send me private messages asking for advice.

secret.simon

Post by secret.simon » Wed Apr 20, 2022 6:47 am

If the mother was married at the time of the birth of the child, for the purposes of British nationality, the father of the child is the person the mother is married to at the time of the birth of the child.

Biological relationship is not relevant and not a requirement.

Was the mother married to a British citizen at the time of the birth of the child? If she was so married (the marriage certificate may be very important to prove this), then the child is a British citizen and will not lose their British citizenship.
I am not a lawyer or immigration advisor. My statements/comments do not constitute legal advice. E&OE. Please do not PM me for advice.

kiss300
Member of Standing
Mood:
Ghana

Post by kiss300 » Wed Apr 20, 2022 6:48 am

The mother was on a leave to remain visa.

kiss300
Member of Standing
Mood:
Ghana

Post by kiss300 » Wed Apr 20, 2022 6:54 am

secret.simon wrote:
Wed Apr 20, 2022 6:47 am
If the mother was married at the time of the birth of the child, for the purposes of British nationality, the father of the child is the person the mother is married to at the time of the birth of the child.

Biological relationship is not relevant and not a requirement.

Was the mother married to a British citizen at the time of the birth of the child? If she was so married (the marriage certificate may be very important to prove this), then the child is a British citizen and will not lose their British citizenship.
Mother wasn’t married yet to husband. She married him after the birth of their daughter. But mother didn’t know the daughter wasn’t for the now husband. She only got to know when daughter got ill and she needed blood. It was during the lab test that they released that daughter wasnt his. They followed up with a DNA and it confirmed it.

kiss300
Member of Standing
Mood:
Ghana

Post by kiss300 » Wed Apr 20, 2022 6:55 am

alterhase58 wrote:
Tue Apr 19, 2022 9:45 pm
What UK status did the mother have at the time of birth?
Mother was on limited leave to remain visa.

secret.simon

Post by secret.simon » Wed Apr 20, 2022 6:57 am

kiss300 wrote:
Wed Apr 20, 2022 6:54 am
Mother wasn’t married yet to husband.
That considerably complicates matters.

If the parents were not married at the time of the birth of the child, the child may very well not be a British citizen.

@vinny @Obie , any thoughts on this niche issue?
I am not a lawyer or immigration advisor. My statements/comments do not constitute legal advice. E&OE. Please do not PM me for advice.

kiss300
Member of Standing
Mood:
Ghana

Post by kiss300 » Wed Apr 20, 2022 7:01 am

secret.simon wrote:
Wed Apr 20, 2022 6:57 am
kiss300 wrote:

If the parents were not married at the time of the birth of the child, the child may very well not be a British citizen.

The father who was then a boy friend to mother, was present at the brith certificate office to sign that the child was his. So far as the man was there, it didn’t matter if they were married or not the Law says.

secret.simon

Post by secret.simon » Wed Apr 20, 2022 7:49 am

kiss300 wrote:
Wed Apr 20, 2022 7:01 am
The father who was then a boy friend to mother, was present at the brith certificate office to sign that the child was his. So far as the man was there, it didn’t matter if they were married or not the Law says.
Not necessarily true. Keep in mind that nationality law has its own definitions for many purposes. What may be valid for other laws may not be valid for nationality law.

Section 50(9A) of the British Nationality Act 1981 defines who the father of a child is for the purposes of nationality law.
(9A)For the purposes of this Act a child’s father is—

(a)the husband [or male civil partner], at the time of the child’s birth, of the woman who gives birth to the child, or

(b)where a person is treated as the father of the child under section 28 of the Human Fertilisation and Embryology Act 1990 or section 35 or 36 of the Human Fertilisation and Embryology Act 2008, that person, or

(ba)where a person is treated as a parent of the child under section 42 or 43 of the Human Fertilisation and Embryology Act 2008, that person, or

(c)where none of paragraphs (a) to (ba) applies, a person who satisfies prescribed requirements as to proof of paternity.
I would say that in this case, the definition of "father" would come under the last option (c) above ((b) and (ba) apply to children born by artificial insemination/"test tube babies").

As Freemovement notes in this 2015 article, "being named as father on birth certificate will in future no longer be sufficient to prove paternity in British nationality law where the parents are unmarried.". A government-recognised DNA test may be required.

kiss300
Member of Standing
Mood:
Ghana

Post by kiss300 » Wed Apr 20, 2022 11:01 am

secret.simon wrote:
Wed Apr 20, 2022 7:49 am
kiss300 wrote:
Wed Apr 20, 2022 7:01 am
Not necessarily true. Keep in mind that nationality law has its own definitions for many purposes. What may be valid for other laws may not be valid for nationality law.

Section 50(9A) of the British Nationality Act 1981 defines who the father of a child is for the purposes of nationality law.
(9A)For the purposes of this Act a child’s father is—

(a)the husband [or male civil partner], at the time of the child’s birth, of the woman who gives birth to the child, or

(b)where a person is treated as the father of the child under section 28 of the Human Fertilisation and Embryology Act 1990 or section 35 or 36 of the Human Fertilisation and Embryology Act 2008, that person, or

(ba)where a person is treated as a parent of the child under section 42 or 43 of the Human Fertilisation and Embryology Act 2008, that person, or

(c)where none of paragraphs (a) to (ba) applies, a person who satisfies prescribed requirements as to proof of paternity.
I would say that in this case, the definition of "father" would come under the last option (c) above ((b) and (ba) apply to children born by artificial insemination/"test tube babies").

As Freemovement notes in this 2015 article, "being named as father on birth certificate will in future no longer be sufficient to prove paternity in British nationality law where the parents are unmarried.". A government-recognised DNA test may be required.
So does it then mean that the child losses their nationality as a British since DNA says child is not the father’s anymore? But mum is British now. Is there a way for mum to get daughter to be British?

secret.simon

Post by secret.simon » Wed Apr 20, 2022 12:45 pm

How old is the child now?

kiss300
Member of Standing
Mood:
Ghana

Post by kiss300 » Wed Apr 20, 2022 6:08 pm

secret.simon wrote:
Wed Apr 20, 2022 12:45 pm
She is 10years
Last edited by kiss300 on Wed Apr 20, 2022 6:10 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Obie
Ireland

Post by Obie » Wed Apr 20, 2022 7:44 pm

secret.simon wrote:
kiss300 wrote:

It may help to know when the child was born.

As a child can acquire citizenship post nuptial from their father, or the woman their mother married to after their birth, if the person is a British citizen.

This is if they were born before 1 July 2006.
Smooth seas do not make skilful sailors

Obie
Ireland

Post by Obie » Wed Apr 20, 2022 7:46 pm

You advise on this thread seems unimpeachable. I cannot add anything substantive to it.

The child appears to have acquired nationality lawfully, and the OP need not worry herself about paternity issues.
Smooth seas do not make skilful sailors

vinny

Post by vinny » Thu Apr 21, 2022 12:10 am

kiss300 wrote:
Wed Apr 20, 2022 6:08 pm
secret.simon wrote:
She is 10years
If the child is ten, then she was born around 2012, after 2006?

Was the child’s biological father neither settled nor British at the time of child’s birth?
This is not intended to be legal or professional advice in any jurisdiction. Please click on any given links for further information. Refer to the source of any quotes.
We do not inherit the Earth from our ancestors, we borrow it from our children.

kiss300
Member of Standing
Mood:
Ghana

Post by kiss300 » Fri Apr 22, 2022 6:02 am

vinny wrote:
Thu Apr 21, 2022 12:10 am
kiss300 wrote:
Wed Apr 20, 2022 6:08 pm
secret.simon wrote:
She is 10years
If the child is ten, then she was born around 2012, after 2006?

Was the child’s biological father neither settled nor British at the time of child’s birth?
The mother of the child said the biological father of the child is not settled neither is he British. The daughter was born in 2012.

kiss300
Member of Standing
Mood:
Ghana

Post by kiss300 » Fri Apr 22, 2022 6:03 am

Obie wrote:
Wed Apr 20, 2022 7:44 pm
secret.simon wrote:
kiss300 wrote:

It may help to know when the child was born.

As a child can acquire citizenship post nuptial from their father, or the woman their mother married to after their birth, if the person is a British citizen.

This is if they were born before 1 July 2006.
I don’t know the exact date or month but she was born in 2012

vinny

Post by vinny » Fri Apr 22, 2022 1:44 pm

kiss300 wrote:
Wed Apr 20, 2022 11:01 am
So does it then mean that the child losses their nationality as a British since DNA says child is not the father’s anymore? But mum is British now. Is there a way for mum to get daughter to be British?
If child is not automatically British, then child is entitled to register.
This is not intended to be legal or professional advice in any jurisdiction. Please click on any given links for further information. Refer to the source of any quotes.

kiss300
Member of Standing
Mood:
Ghana

Post by kiss300 » Sat Apr 23, 2022 5:12 pm

vinny wrote:
Fri Apr 22, 2022 1:44 pm
kiss300 wrote:
Wed Apr 20, 2022 11:01 am
If child is not automatically British, then child is entitled to register.
But her mum is now a British citizen does she still need to register for British naturalisation ?

alterhase58
Germany

Post by alterhase58 » Sat Apr 23, 2022 8:12 pm

kiss300 wrote:
Sat Apr 23, 2022 5:12 pm
But her mum is now a British citizen does she still need to register for British naturalisation ?
Yes - children born before mother was granted British citizenship do not automatically become British as a result.
This is just my opinion as a member of this forum and does not constitute immigration advice.
Please do not send me private messages asking for advice.

kiss300
Member of Standing
Mood:
Ghana

Post by kiss300 » Sun Apr 24, 2022 8:42 pm

alterhase58 wrote:
Sat Apr 23, 2022 8:12 pm
kiss300 wrote:
Sat Apr 23, 2022 5:12 pm
Yes - children born before mother was granted British citizenship do not automatically become British as a result.
But the daughter has had a British passport for almost 10years. Does it mean she now has to do the naturalisation all over again in order for her to become a British citizen?

vinny

Post by vinny » Sun Apr 24, 2022 11:30 pm

Unfortunately, a British passport does not confer British citizenship.

kiss300
Member of Standing
Mood:
Ghana

Post by kiss300 » Tue May 03, 2022 7:59 pm

Thank everyone