ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

How to an adult over 18 can become British citizen?

A section for posts relating to applications for Naturalisation or Registration as a British Citizen. Naturalisation

Moderators: Casa, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny

HBBB
Iran

How to an adult over 18 can become British citizen?

Post by HBBB » Sat May 13, 2023 9:59 pm

Hi Everyone
I am asking this for a friend who is a Sweden citizen and holds ILR from EU route.

He is 18 and has ILR for UK and Swedish passport. He was born in the UK and have been living in UK his whole life. He wants to become a British citizen. I have read online that he should become a British citizen automatically. But he hasn’t done anything. What is the best route for him now? Should he apply for naturalisation first or just go ahead and apply for a passport? I would appreciate to know which form he should use.
Thank you in advance

meself2
Ireland

Re: How to an adult over 18 can become British citizen?

Post by meself2 » Sat May 13, 2023 10:13 pm

HBBB wrote:
Sat May 13, 2023 9:59 pm
I have read online that he should become a British citizen automatically.
Why would he? Can you specify what exactly you read?
Unless one of his parents was British before he was born (and could pass on the nationality), he won't just be British (not counting CUKC/etc due to his age). Also that's assuming his parents didn't register him as British citizen.
HBBB wrote:
Should he apply for naturalisation first
Yes.
HBBB wrote:
I would appreciate to know which form he should use.
AN1. He has to pass Life in the UK test and satisfy English requirements.
Not a qualified immigration adviser. Use links and references given to gain confirmation and/or extra information.

secret.simon

Post by secret.simon » Sat May 13, 2023 10:44 pm

Was either of their parents a British citizen before their birth?

If no, had the EEA parent (or either one of the EEA parents if both parents were EEA citizens) completed five continuous years of exercising treaty rights in the UK before the birth of your friend and crucially, do they have proof of their EEA parent having exercised those treaty rights before their birth?

If either of the two cases apply, your friend is a British citizen from birth and can apply directly for a British passport.

If neither of the two cases above apply, if they have proof of living in the UK for their first 10 years of their life, with absences of no more than 90 days per year in each of those ten years, your friend can register as a British citizen on Form T. They will become a British citizen when they get the registration certificate from the Home Office.
I am not a lawyer or immigration advisor. My statements/comments do not constitute legal advice. E&OE. Please do not PM me for advice.

HBBB
Iran

Post by HBBB » Sun May 14, 2023 12:35 am

meself2 wrote:
Sat May 13, 2023 10:13 pm
HBBB wrote:
I have read online that he should become a British citizen automatically.
Why would he? Can you specify what exactly you read?
Unless one of his parents was British before he was born (and could pass on the nationality), he won't just be British (not counting CUKC/etc due to his age). Also that's assuming his parents didn't register him as British citizen.
HBBB wrote:
Should he apply for naturalisation first
Yes.
HBBB wrote:
I would appreciate to know which form he should use.
AN1. He has to pass Life in the UK test and satisfy English requirements.
You are right. His parents were Swedish when born in 2004 but I think they were in the UK only for 3years at the time.

HBBB
Iran

Post by HBBB » Sun May 14, 2023 12:44 am

secret.simon wrote:
Sat May 13, 2023 10:44 pm
Was either of their parents a British citizen before their birth?

If no, had the EEA parent (or either one of the EEA parents if both parents were EEA citizens) completed five continuous years of exercising treaty rights in the UK before the birth of your friend and crucially, do they have proof of their EEA parent having exercised those treaty rights before their birth?

If either of the two cases apply, your friend is a British citizen from birth and can apply directly for a British passport.

If neither of the two cases above apply, if they have proof of living in the UK for their first 10 years of their life, with absences of no more than 90 days per year in each of those ten years, your friend can register as a British citizen on Form T. They will become a British citizen when they get the registration certificate from the Home Office.
Thank you. What sort or proof does he need to show? Is attending school enough? If yes what about his first few years?
Does he need life in the UK and English language tests?

secret.simon

Post by secret.simon » Sun May 14, 2023 8:44 am

HBBB wrote:
Sun May 14, 2023 12:44 am
What sort or proof does he need to show? Is attending school enough? If yes what about his first few years?
Presuming that you are asking for proof for a Form T application.
HBBB wrote:
I am not certain, so wait for others to respond, but I do not think that those tests are required for registration on Form T.

Form T is a lifelong entitlement to register as a British citizen, so long as you can provide the documentary proof for it.
I am not a lawyer or immigration advisor. My statements/comments do not constitute legal advice. E&OE. Please do not PM me for advice.

CR001
Mood:
South Africa

Post by CR001 » Sun May 14, 2023 9:51 am

secret.simon wrote:
Sun May 14, 2023 8:44 am
HBBB wrote:
What sort or proof does he need to show? Is attending school enough? If yes what about his first few years?
Presuming that you are asking for proof for a Form T application.
HBBB wrote:
I am not certain, so wait for others to respond, but I do not think that those tests are required for registration on Form T.

Form T is a lifelong entitlement to register as a British citizen, so long as you can provide the documentary proof for it.
Where most people fail on form T is the 'no more than 90 days absence in the first 10 years of their life'.

Pity the parents did not register the OP as British on MN1 before they turned 18.
Char (CR001 not Casa)
In life you cannot press the Backspace button!!
Please DO NOT send me a PM for immigration advice. I reserve the right to ignore the PM and not respond.

vinny

Post by vinny » Sun May 14, 2023 12:47 pm

CR001 wrote:
Sun May 14, 2023 9:51 am
Where most people fail on form T is the 'no more than 90 days absence in the first 10 years of their life'.
Requirements for registration under section 1(4)
they have not been outside of the UK for more than 90 days in each of the first 10 years of their life
Subject to Discretion to allow excess absences in the first 10 years of a child’s life.
This is not intended to be legal or professional advice in any jurisdiction. Please click on any given links for further information. Refer to the source of any quotes.
We do not inherit the Earth from our ancestors, we borrow it from our children.