ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Filling "Knowledge of English requirement" and "Degree that was taught in English" sections

A section for posts relating to applications for Naturalisation or Registration as a British Citizen. Naturalisation

Moderators: Casa, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny

srathore
Newly Registered
Mood:
India

Filling "Knowledge of English requirement" and "Degree that was taught in English" sections

Post by srathore » Fri Dec 15, 2023 8:49 pm

I had previously used CEFR Level B1.1 as a proof for Knowledge of English requirement for my ILR application (this was accepted and ILR approved). I am now applying for Naturalization, I have a Master in Computer Application degree taught in English from India but it doesn't meet English Language requirement for UK.
I have question regarding below sections in the application form:

Your previous visa section:
Question: Have you provided evidence of your English language ability in a previous application? My response is "Yes"

Knowledge of the English language Section:
Question: Did you meet the knowledge of English requirement as part of an indefinite leave application made on or after 28 October 2013? My response is "Yes"

English language - degree taught in English section:
Question: Do you have a degree that was taught in English? My Response "No", is this OK to say "No" to this question in spite that I have a degree taught in English (because it does not meet UK English language requirement). By going down No rout I am able to use my Trinity College London CEFR Level B1.1 certificate for this section.
Question: Have you passed an approved English language test? My response is "Yes"
Question: Did the test assess your speaking and listening skills at a level equivalent to CEFR B1 or higher? My response is "Yes"
Question: How did you get your result? My response is "Certificate"

contorted_svy
Respected Guru
Italy

Re: Filling "Knowledge of English requirement" and "Degree that was taught in English" sections

Post by contorted_svy » Fri Dec 15, 2023 9:36 pm

You are providing the right answers it seems to me.
All advice comes from personal research and experience and should not be regarded as professional opinion.

sharpec
Newly Registered
India

Re: Filling "Knowledge of English requirement" and "Degree that was taught in English" sections

Post by sharpec » Sun Dec 17, 2023 11:45 am

Reply as you have, so that you have the opportunity to enter the English test scores, and in the cover letter mention your education.

alterhase58
Germany

Post by alterhase58 » Sun Dec 17, 2023 11:52 am

sharpec wrote:
Sun Dec 17, 2023 11:45 am
Reply as you have, so that you have the opportunity to enter the English test scores, and in the cover letter mention your education.
I don't believe test scores are required, and there's no need to explain your education.
This is just my opinion as a member of this forum and does not constitute immigration advice.
Please do not send me private messages asking for advice.

alterhase58
Germany

Post by alterhase58 » Sun Dec 17, 2023 11:53 am

alterhase58 wrote:
Sun Dec 17, 2023 11:52 am
sharpec wrote:
Sun Dec 17, 2023 11:45 am
I don't believe test scores are required - pass is all that's needed, and there's no need to explain your education, you don't have to convince UKVI to approve you, just meet the statutory requirements.
This is just my opinion as a member of this forum and does not constitute immigration advice.

sharpec
Newly Registered
India

Post by sharpec » Sun Dec 17, 2023 5:39 pm

Yes I misspoke - you enter your test result code if i recall correctly, not the score per se.

I mentioned the degree in the cover letter, since it was indeed taught in English, and one is technically lying on the form if one writes 'no', in order to enter the test result. Just because the UK doesn't recognise Indian (among other) degrees doesn't mean they weren't taught in English.

alterhase58
Germany

Post by alterhase58 » Sun Dec 17, 2023 6:00 pm

sharpec wrote:
Sun Dec 17, 2023 5:39 pm
Yes I misspoke - you enter your test result code if i recall correctly, not the score per se.

I mentioned the degree in the cover letter, since it was indeed taught in English, and one is technically lying on the form if one writes 'no', in order to enter the test result. Just because the UK doesn't recognise Indian (among other) degrees doesn't mean they weren't taught in English. This is really about which proof of English you provide, not whether you have a degree or not, so it's not withholding anything material (or lying). You can have a degree but still use a B1 test. UKVI are happy as long as you fulfil the requirement, by whichever way is allowed.

contorted_svy
Respected Guru
Italy

Post by contorted_svy » Sun Dec 17, 2023 8:42 pm

sharpec wrote:
Sun Dec 17, 2023 5:39 pm

I mentioned the degree in the cover letter, since it was indeed taught in English, and one is technically lying on the form if one writes 'no', in order to enter the test result. Just because the UK doesn't recognise Indian (among other) degrees doesn't mean they weren't taught in English.
They do recognise them if taught in English, if you send your certificate to ECCTIS. Just not automatically.
All advice comes from personal research and experience and should not be regarded as professional opinion.