ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Citizenship question. Please guide!!

A section for posts relating to applications for Naturalisation or Registration as a British Citizen. Naturalisation

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2

AE94
Newly Registered
United Kingdom

Citizenship question. Please guide!!

Post by AE94 » Wed May 15, 2024 8:54 am

Hello,

I have been granted ILR on a 5 year spouse route and on 29/05/2024 it will become 5 years. I have a question in relation to UK citizenship. On the home office website it says that I can only apply when it is exactly 5 years, so it means the date would be 28/05/2024 on which I can submit the application.
However, before my spouse visa i spent 1 years 9 months on Student visa. Can I apply before 28/05/2024 because according to their requirements I have spent more than 5 years. Please guide.

Thanks

alterhase58
Germany

Re: Citizenship question. Please guide!!

Post by alterhase58 » Wed May 15, 2024 9:12 am

You should apply from 29/5 onwards - it's best not to go for the first possible date, make sure you get your application right. You have to complete the five years.
Note that your routes to ILR are not relevant for satisfying the naturalisation requirements, even if you had legal residency longer than 5 years. ILR is the status everyone has to have for naturalisation.
This is just my opinion as a member of this forum and does not constitute immigration advice.
Please do not send me private messages asking for advice.

contorted_svy
Respected Guru
Italy

Post by contorted_svy » Wed May 15, 2024 10:08 am

AE94 wrote:
Wed May 15, 2024 8:54 am
Hello,

I have been granted ILR on a 5 year spouse route and on 29/05/2024 it will become 5 years. I have a question in relation to UK citizenship. On the home office website it says that I can only apply when it is exactly 5 years, so it means the date would be 28/05/2024 on which I can submit the application.
However, before my spouse visa i spent 1 years 9 months on Student visa. Can I apply before 28/05/2024 because according to their requirements I have spent more than 5 years. Please guide.

Thanks
Are you married to a British citizen? If yes, you can apply as soon as you complete 3 years of residence. If not, you have to wait 12 months from the date you were granted ILR. I received my ILR on the 18/5/2022 and applied on the 19/5/2023 (to be sure I waited an extra day) which means I spent 6 years in the UK before I could satisfy all the statutory requirements. You need to satisfy all these requirements independently, only 5 years of residence is not enough.
All advice comes from personal research and experience and should not be regarded as professional opinion.

AE94
Newly Registered
United Kingdom

Post by AE94 » Wed May 15, 2024 11:57 am

Thank you for the response. I am married to a British Citizen and I have spent 6 years 9 months in the UK and I have not been out of the UK in that period apart from two weeks holidays. On 29/05/2024 it will be 5 years since I have spent on spouse visa. I am not sure whether the time I spent on other visa i.e. 1 year 9 months would be counted if I am applying for citizenship.

Thanks.

contorted_svy
Respected Guru
Italy

Post by contorted_svy » Wed May 15, 2024 12:36 pm

If you are married to a British citizen and have been granted ILR you can apply straight away - you will need to provide your marriage certificate and copy of your spouse's British passport. You will only need to prove your residence in the UK for the last 3 years. How long you spent on which visa doesn't matter. You have to have been granted ILR though.
All advice comes from personal research and experience and should not be regarded as professional opinion.

AE94
Newly Registered
United Kingdom

Post by AE94 » Wed May 15, 2024 1:22 pm

Thank you so much contorted_svy

AE94
Newly Registered
United Kingdom

Referee for citizenship application. Please guide!!

Post by AE94 » Thu May 16, 2024 1:37 pm

Hi,
I am completing a citizenship naturalisation application and I have a question. Could you please tell me whether Telecommunication manager can be counted as a professional referee.

Thanks.

alterhase58
Germany

Re: Referee for citizenship application. Please guide!!

Post by alterhase58 » Thu May 16, 2024 3:19 pm

AE94 wrote:
Thu May 16, 2024 1:37 pm
Hi,
I am completing a citizenship naturalisation application and I have a question. Could you please tell me whether Telecommunication manager can be counted as a professional referee.

Thanks.
Please keep all your citizenship question in one thread - this one.

For acceptable professions please refer to pages 24 and 25 of this document:

https://assets.publishing.service.gov.u ... als_v4.pdf

A person's job title doesn't always show whether they are professionals as per the list - is that manager a member of a professional body for example? Or if you know anyone who comes under the list and qualifies as referee select that one
This is just my opinion as a member of this forum and does not constitute immigration advice.
Please do not send me private messages asking for advice.

Ticktack
Respected Guru
United Kingdom

Re: Referee for citizenship application. Please guide!!

Post by Ticktack » Thu May 16, 2024 4:18 pm

AE94 wrote:
Thu May 16, 2024 1:37 pm
Hi,

Thanks.
A manager is fine. They just need to have that designation. They don't need to be professionals, same thing with Directors.
No sin in failing, you just have to try and try again!

AE94
Newly Registered
United Kingdom

Post by AE94 » Sat May 18, 2024 3:20 pm

Hi,
I have some question regarding referee forms.
Do we need to submit scan copies of referee declaration forms with citizenship (naturalisation) application?
Is this the referee declaration form, https://visas-immigration.service.gov.u ... on_MN1.pdf

Do I need to submit two of these referee forms with the applications? One for each referee and my photos (as applicant) attached on the forms right?

Does the referee need the sign the back of my photos and the referee form?

Thanks.

contorted_svy
Respected Guru
Italy

Post by contorted_svy » Mon May 20, 2024 10:47 am

AE94 wrote:
Sat May 18, 2024 3:20 pm
Hi,
I have some question regarding referee forms.
Do we need to submit scan copies of referee declaration forms with citizenship (naturalisation) application? Yes
Is this the referee declaration form, https://visas-immigration.service.gov.u ... on_MN1.pdf Yes

Do I need to submit two of these referee forms with the applications? One for each referee and my photos (as applicant) attached on the forms right? Yes

Does the referee need the sign the back of my photos and the referee form? No, that is a legacy from the pen and paper days. A completely digital form is OK, where the picture is put on the form and filled in/signed digitally - as far as the signature looks consistent with what appears on the referee's passport.

Thanks.

WithDBr
Newly Registered
United Kingdom

Post by WithDBr » Tue Jun 04, 2024 9:28 pm

Hi
Can I just check on this statement, please:
"A completely digital form is OK, where the picture is put on the form and filled in/signed digitally - as far as the signature looks consistent with what appears on the referee's passport."

Does this mean they can fill it in and sign via things like DocuSign? And a bit challenged to see how one can attached the digital photo to this form?

I thought that I would have to :
1. print a physical copy of the form
2. attach a physical copy of photo onto the printed form
3. referee to fill in and sign form
4. I then scan document and upload with the application.

Is there a simpler way?

Thank you!

contorted_svy
Respected Guru
Italy

Post by contorted_svy » Tue Jun 04, 2024 9:53 pm

The phrasing on the form is a relic of pen and paper days. You can fill in the form digitally, as long as the signatures are consistent with what appears on the referee's passports. You will only upload a digital copy; no one will see behind the picture.