ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Travel to Ireland without passport newly naturalised

A section for posts relating to applications for Naturalisation or Registration as a British Citizen. Naturalisation

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2

maverickeastman2
Newly Registered
England

Travel to Ireland without passport newly naturalised

Post by maverickeastman2 » Thu May 23, 2024 8:44 am

**Subject: Help Needed: Traveling to Ireland Without a British Passport**

Hello everyone,

I'm seeking advice regarding a travel situation I’m currently facing. I recently became a British citizen and have applied for my British passport, but it has not arrived yet. I’ve already planned and paid for a trip to Ireland.

Given the immigration laws, I understand that my certificate of naturalisation cannot be used for re-entry into the UK. However, I’m aware that there is a Common Travel Area agreement between the UK and Ireland.

Has anyone else experienced this situation? What are the risks involved in traveling without a British passport? Are there any alternative documents or steps I can take to ensure I can re-enter the UK without any issues?

I’d appreciate any advice or shared experiences.

Thank you!

Ticktack
Respected Guru
United Kingdom

Re: Travel to Ireland without passport newly naturalised

Post by Ticktack » Thu May 23, 2024 10:18 am

maverickeastman2 wrote:
Thu May 23, 2024 8:44 am
**Subject: Help Needed: Traveling to Ireland Without a British Passport**

Hello everyone,

I'm seeking advice regarding a travel situation I’m currently facing. I recently became a British citizen and have applied for my British passport, but it has not arrived yet. I’ve already planned and paid for a trip to Ireland.

Given the immigration laws, I understand that my certificate of naturalisation cannot be used for re-entry into the UK. However, I’m aware that there is a Common Travel Area agreement between the UK and Ireland.

Has anyone else experienced this situation? What are the risks involved in traveling without a British passport? Are there any alternative documents or steps I can take to ensure I can re-enter the UK without any issues?

I’d appreciate any advice or shared experiences.

Thank you!
The first question is how do you plan to enter Ireland? Have you got a visa on your foreign passport?

Also, if you've applied for a British passport, that means you've also submitted you foreign passport and your naturalisation cert. So how do you plan to enter Ireland without a passport?

Normally, a British citizen shouldn't need a passport to enter the republic of Ireland. The problem is you proving that you're British. Your word of mouth isn't good enough.
So in a nutshell, no airline would carry you! I guess you could always drive there.
No sin in failing, you just have to try and try again!

maverickeastman2
Newly Registered
England

Post by maverickeastman2 » Thu May 23, 2024 12:19 pm

>>>The first question is how do you plan to enter Ireland? Have you got a visa on your foreign passport?
>>>Also, if you've applied for a British passport, that means you've also submitted you foreign passport and your naturalisation cert. So how do you plan to enter Ireland without a passport?

I still have my foreign passport - I naturalised on Tuesday, so have made the online application but not sent in my documents. Plan to do so when I get back on Monday. My foreign passport allows me visa free entry into Ireland.

>>>Normally, a British citizen shouldn't need a passport to enter the republic of Ireland. The problem is you >>>proving that you're British. Your word of mouth isn't good enough.

I have my naturalisation certificate, my now invalid (I guess) BRP showing my ILR.

>>>So in a nutshell, no airline would carry you! I guess you could always drive there.

I'm less concerned about the airline and more border control.

contorted_svy
Respected Guru
Italy

Post by contorted_svy » Thu May 23, 2024 12:48 pm

When are you due to travel? I wonder why did you apply for passport if you weren't planning to send in your passport straight away. If this came up for a border official it may be a bit awkward.
All advice comes from personal research and experience and should not be regarded as professional opinion.

Ticktack
Respected Guru
United Kingdom

Post by Ticktack » Thu May 23, 2024 12:58 pm

maverickeastman2 wrote:
Thu May 23, 2024 12:19 pm
>>>The first question is how do you plan to enter Ireland? Have you got a visa on your foreign passport?
>>>Also, if you've applied for a British passport, that means you've also submitted you foreign passport and your naturalisation cert. So how do you plan to enter Ireland without a passport?

I still have my foreign passport - I naturalised on Tuesday, so have made the online application but not sent in my documents. Plan to do so when I get back on Monday. My foreign passport allows me visa free entry into Ireland. If that's the case, you can travel to Ireland.

>>>Normally, a British citizen shouldn't need a passport to enter the republic of Ireland. The problem is you >>>proving that you're British. Your word of mouth isn't good enough.

I have my naturalisation certificate, my now invalid (I guess) BRP showing my ILR. You
can still use your ILR to re-enter the UK. Show the airline at presumably Dublin airport. They'd allow you board the plane.

>>>So in a nutshell, no airline would carry you! I guess you could always drive there.

I'm less concerned about the airline and more border control. There's no border control when flying in from Ireland. So basically you disembark the plane and walk out of the airport. It's almost treated like a local flight when arriving.
No sin in failing, you just have to try and try again!

maverickeastman2
Newly Registered
England

Post by maverickeastman2 » Thu May 23, 2024 2:44 pm

Thank you - this was very helpful. I’m at the airport. Fingers crossed.

M