ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Form MN1 - Referees and Identity

A section for posts relating to applications for Naturalisation or Registration as a British Citizen. Naturalisation

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe

newyorker123
Newly Registered

Form MN1 - Referees and Identity

Post by newyorker123 » Thu Apr 15, 2010 7:36 am

How strict is the Home Office with respect to the interpretation of "professional capacity" when choosing referees who are professionals (i.e., the professional must have engaged with the child in a professional capacity)?

Would the Home Office accept, for example, a professional person who was "acquainted" with the family or knows the child through the parents (for example, a former classmate of the parents, etc.).

bobo77

Re: Form MN1 - Referees and Identity

Post by bobo77 » Thu Apr 15, 2010 12:34 pm

newyorker123 wrote:How strict is the Home Office with respect to the interpretation of "professional capacity" when choosing referees who are professionals (i.e., the professional must have engaged with the child in a professional capacity)? =>Not very strict

Would the Home Office accept, for example, a professional person who was "acquainted" with the family or knows the child through the parents (for example, a former classmate of the parents, etc.). => YES
I couldnt get "the professional must have engaged with the child in a professional capacity" SO I just got my friend who has a job to sign

f2k
Diamond Member

Post by f2k » Thu Apr 15, 2010 2:57 pm

I didnt even bother with getting referees. I was applying for baby under 3 months when I had got my ILR. so it may be different for older children and also the section under which they are applying. I applied under Section 1(3)

amreenmalik

Post by amreenmalik » Tue Apr 20, 2010 10:48 am

Hi,
I am having the same problem. I have friends who are British and can sign but, it is very hard to find somebody who is associated with the child.
Do I need to call them and confirm and also mention that in the application that only firends of my have signed or can I just get 2 of my friends to sign and go ahead with the application. Please advice.

munisa

Post by munisa » Tue May 18, 2010 8:06 am

amreenmalik wrote:Hi,
I am having the same problem. I have friends who are British and can sign but, it is very hard to find somebody who is associated with the child.
Do I need to call them and confirm and also mention that in the application that only firends of my have signed or can I just get 2 of my friends to sign and go ahead with the application. Please advice.

I am applying for citizenship in a week's time and have same referee for myself and child. The referee has not engaged with child as a teacher, doctor or health worker.

Has anyone been able to get their applications approved in similar situation?

Munisa
A Good Opportunity never occurs twice!

VRM
Newly Registered

Post by VRM » Tue May 18, 2010 2:38 pm

Newyorker, I would suggest going to the child's GP and ask them to sign. They normally charge you a small fee for this, but its the safest option.

Iman230

Post by Iman230 » Mon Jun 22, 2015 8:47 am

Is it correct that one referee has to be a professional and british and the other over the age of 25?

noajthan

Post by noajthan » Mon Jun 22, 2015 12:14 pm

Iman230 wrote:Is it correct that one referee has to be a professional and british and the other over the age of 25?
The first professional referee does not have to be British;
the second referee has to be British and a professional or else over age 25.
All that is gold does not glitter; Not all those who wander are lost. E&OE.

noajthan

Post by noajthan » Mon Jun 22, 2015 12:23 pm

newyorker123 wrote:How strict is the Home Office with respect to the interpretation of "professional capacity" when choosing referees who are professionals (i.e., the professional must have engaged with the child in a professional capacity)?

Would the Home Office accept, for example, a professional person who was "acquainted" with the family or knows the child through the parents (for example, a former classmate of the parents, etc.).
If the child is young most engagements of a professional nature with any professional would be done with and via the parents, such as visiting the doctor or a health worker, etc.

And the emphasis in the guidance is on "professional engagement", (rather than social engagement), so yes it indicates an indirect type of contact would be accepted.

As per section 6.3.7 of the guide:
https://www.gov.uk/government/uploads/s ... 50429_.pdf

- the aim seems to be:
... still being able to satisfy ourselves of the child’s presence in the United Kingdom
The caseworker's guide also states:
We would not routinely contact referees, but may do so on the authority of a senior caseworker if this could resolve any concerns about the application
All that is gold does not glitter; Not all those who wander are lost. E&OE.