ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Advice on filling form AN for naturalisation

A section for posts relating to applications for Naturalisation or Registration as a British Citizen. Naturalisation

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe

dewang81
Newly Registered
India

Re: Advice on filling form AN for naturalisation

Post by dewang81 » Sat Nov 28, 2015 5:28 pm

Hi CR001,

Thanks for your reply. Sorry it was a typo error. I meant will the UKBA be able to find out about that I worked for more than allowed hours during student visa.
What do you reckon, I should do? Should I wait till December 2017 to apply for British Citizenship or should I take a risk and apply for it?

Thanks & Regards,
Dewang Dave

CR001
Mood:
South Africa

Post by CR001 » Sat Nov 28, 2015 5:54 pm

Yes, Home Office (not UKBA anymore) can and will find out and you must declare all your employment in the form.

You should weigh up the risk and do a lot of reading before you make a decision on what to do. Given that for citizenship you now have to provide 10 years employment history (and you need to be honest otherwise it is deception/withholding information), I would err on the side of caution, but that is me as I don't like taking risks or losing over £1000.
Char (CR001 not Casa)
In life you cannot press the Backspace button!!
Please DO NOT send me a PM for immigration advice. I reserve the right to ignore the PM and not respond.

dewang81
Newly Registered
India

Post by dewang81 » Sat Nov 28, 2015 5:58 pm

CR001 wrote:Yes, Home Office (not UKBA anymore) can and will find out and you must declare all your employment in the form.

You should weigh up the risk and do a lot of reading before you make a decision on what to do. Given that for citizenship you now have to provide 10 years employment history (and you need to be honest otherwise it is deception/withholding information), I would err on the side of caution, but that is me as I don't like taking risks or losing over £1000.
Thanks for your valuable reply.

Simplyhuman

Post by Simplyhuman » Sun Nov 29, 2015 2:50 pm

Simplyhuman wrote:Hi all,

I have few questions on AN Form completion, I hope someone can provide the answers to these please. (Apologies if I have missed any existing information on these elsewhere on the forum)

Thank you in advance.

Questions in AN Form:

1.22 - Knowledge of language and life

I received the ILR in OCT 2014, should I select the below as my answer to this question?

"I met the knowledge of language and life requirement to qualify for settlement on or after 28th October 2013;"

1.50 - Employment history in UK during past 10 years

I arrived in UK 10/2004 but completed my studies first and then started working full time on work permits. During studies, of course I did some part time jobs and cannot remember all the details for those really, so my questions are:

a. What details do I need to provide here now? Especially when I have gone through the process of successful ILR last year?

b. Do I need to request something from HMRC (like a statement) and provide that with the AN Application?

2.1 - Date and place of first arrival in the United Kingdom (see page 8 of the Guide):

I arrived in UK 10/2004 but completed my studies first and then started working full time on work permits from Feb 2009 onwards. ILR IN 10/2014, so my question is:

What date should I fill in this section as date of first arrival? 10/2004 or 02/2009 ?
Hi Moderators/experts,

Can someone please advise on these (above) questions?

Regards

arsenal49
Diamond Member

Post by arsenal49 » Wed Dec 02, 2015 11:05 pm

Hi,

This is concerning the question in the form where it asks me to provide the name as i would like it to appear on the british passport...

here is a thing: i have three names

in my current passport...lets say, it is written as below.

surname: Powers

other: Austin Danger

what if i want to make the name appear in Brit passport as

surname:Powers

other: Danger Austin

will that create a lot of hassle? i really would like it to be this way going forward.

people who has first or second hand experience of someone successfully altering their name in such a way... your response will be very appreciated
Application sent (AN Form): Fri 04/03/2016 via POST
app fee taken: Mon 14/03/2016
Ack received: 17/03/2016
Biometric received: 17/03/2016
Biometric recorded: 19/03/2016
Approval date: 25/04/2016
Spreadsheet

CR001
Mood:
South Africa

Post by CR001 » Wed Dec 02, 2015 11:51 pm

arsenal49 wrote:Hi,

This is concerning the question in the form where it asks me to provide the name as i would like it to appear on the british passport...

here is a thing: i have three names

in my current passport...lets say, it is written as below.

surname: Powers

other: Austin Danger

what if i want to make the name appear in Brit passport as

surname:Powers

other: Danger Austin

will that create a lot of hassle? i really would like it to be this way going forward.

people who has first or second hand experience of someone successfully altering their name in such a way... your response will be very appreciated
This thread is for form AN applications, not for passport applications.

Unless you have a deed poll to change your name, your name on the naturalisation certificate and your passport will be as it is in your foreign passport and official documentation.
Char (CR001 not Casa)
Please DO NOT send me a PM for immigration advice. I reserve the right to ignore the PM and not respond.

Simplyhuman

Post by Simplyhuman » Thu Dec 03, 2015 6:27 am

Hi all,

Apologies but posting again to seek some expert advice on the below.

Moderators, please can you provide some info on the below?

I have few questions on AN Form completion, I hope someone can provide the answers to these please. (Apologies if I have missed any existing information on these elsewhere on the forum)

Thank you in advance.

Questions in AN Form:

I received the ILR in OCT 2014, should I select the below as my answer to this question?

"I met the knowledge of language and life requirement to qualify for settlement on or after 28th October 2013;"

I arrived in UK 10/2004 but completed my studies first and then started working full time on work permits. During studies, of course I did some part time jobs and cannot remember all the details for those really, so my questions are:

a. What details do I need to provide here now? Especially when I have gone through the process of successful ILR last year?

b. Do I need to request something from HMRC (like a statement) and provide that with the AN Application?

2.1 - Date and place of first arrival in the United Kingdom (see page 8 of the Guide):

I arrived in UK 10/2004 but completed my studies first and then started working full time on work permits from Feb 2009 onwards. ILR IN 10/2014, so my question is:

What date should I fill in this section as date of first arrival? 10/2004 or 02/2009 ?

rajvet

Post by rajvet » Thu Dec 03, 2015 2:56 pm

Simplyhuman wrote:Hi all,

Apologies but posting again to seek some expert advice on the below.

Thank you in advance.

Questions in AN Form:

I had same situation applied in jan 2014 for ILR used IELTS certificate for that, now I had applied for naturalization last week when I was booking an appointment lady asked me about Language requirement I told her about expired IELTS she put me on hold and called Home office , they said that If that certificate has been used after 28 oct 2013 in any immigration office than its fine , hope it will help

Simplyhuman

Post by Simplyhuman » Sat Dec 05, 2015 1:03 pm

Hi all,

Trying again to seek some expert advice on the below.

Thank you in advance.

Questions in AN Form:

Do I need to request something from HMRC (like a statement) and provide that with the AN Application?

bluebell01
Newly Registered

Post by bluebell01 » Sat Dec 05, 2015 4:44 pm

I hope I am in the right place for my question?
Wondering how to correct mistakes made when filling in form AN:
my second referee made two mistakes, with post code and phone number - he crossed them out and wrote correct versions underneath the boxes. I would have normally just printed out a new page for him to fill in, but this page has the 1st referee's signature at the top. Is crossing out mistakes and using the space underneath the boxes acceptable?

testfirst
Newly Registered

Post by testfirst » Tue Dec 22, 2015 5:54 am

Dear Experts,

Need your advice on filling the AN1 form for the below sections/questions. Browsed through the earlier answers and couldn't get answers for my profile. I have got my appointment next week.

Section 1.21: If your application is approved, you will need to take part in a citizenship ceremony. The
venue will normally be within a local authority area near where you live. If you want to have your
ceremony in another area you should give us details of the local authority location below.

Question: Do I need to fill this? or this will be automatically my local authority (Kingston Council in my case) if I am not filling this up?

Section 1.49: Address of tax office or tax office reference

Question: I am currently an employee. Do I still need to fill this section?

Section 1.50: Employment history in UK during past 10 years, or since date of entry if you have been
here for less than 10 years.

Question: In the last 6 years, I have been working both from UK and India (i.e to the parent company in India and its UK subsidiary). Do I need to mention both the companies name in this section or just UK company's name only?

Section 6.7: BRP enclosed?

Question: I'm may be dumb, but as I am going through the NCS, which I understand will take a copy of my BRP and return it, do I still need to mention as BRP Enclosed=Yes.

Please advice on the above questions.

Many Thanks for your help.

Kind Regards.

rajvet

Post by rajvet » Tue Dec 22, 2015 7:19 am

testfirst wrote:Dear Experts,

Need your advice on filling the AN1 form for the below sections/questions. Browsed through the earlier answers and couldn't get answers for my profile. I have got my appointment next week.

Section 1.21: If your application is approved, you will need to take part in a citizenship ceremony. The
venue will normally be within a local authority area near where you live. If you want to have your
ceremony in another area you should give us details of the local [/b][/u][/i][/b]

Question: Do I need to fill this? or this will be automatically my local authority (Kingston Council in my case) if I am not filling this up?
Answer No

Question: I am currently an employee. Do I still need to fill this
Answer I think this is for self employed persons but recheck it

Section 1.50: Employment history in UK during past 10 years, or since date of entry if you have been

Question: In the last 6 years, I have been working both from UK and India (i.e to the parent company in India and its UK subsidiary). Do I need to mention both the companies name in this section or just UK company's name only?

Question: I'm may be dumb, but as I am going through the NCS, which I understand will take a copy of my BRP and return it, do I still need to mention as BRP Enclosed=Yes.
Answer yes

Kind Regards.

Simplyhuman

Post by Simplyhuman » Mon Dec 28, 2015 10:20 am

Hi all,

Trying again to seek some expert advice on the below.

Thank you in advance.

Questions in AN Form:

Do I need to request something from HMRC (like a statement) and provide that with the AN Application?

CR001
Mood:
South Africa

Post by CR001 » Mon Dec 28, 2015 11:40 am

Simplyhuman wrote: Questions in AN Form:

Do I need to request something from HMRC (like a statement) and provide that with the AN Application? You can as HO will surely check you were not in breach of your student visa working more than 20 hours. You need to provide the information as accurate as possible.

What date should I fill in this section as date of first arrival? 10/2004 or 02/2009 ? The question speaks for itself doesn't it? Date andof FIRST entry to the UK. It does not say first entry on work permit does it.
Char (CR001 not Casa)

M2013
Russia

Post by M2013 » Fri Jan 01, 2016 5:53 pm

Dear Experts,
Please let me know if I should give my partner's details as I am applying for Naturalisation on the 10 years period + 1 year ILR. Shall I fill this section and attach my partner's passport in this case? Or just keep it empty?
PS: he is not British and will not apply with me, but I was his dependant while getting HSMP.

CR001
Mood:
South Africa

Post by CR001 » Fri Jan 01, 2016 7:56 pm

M2013 wrote:Dear Experts,
Please let me know if I should give my partner's details as I am applying for Naturalisation on the 10 years period + 1 year ILR. Shall I fill this section and attach my partner's passport in this case? Or just keep it empty?
PS: he is not British and will not apply with me, but I was his dependant while getting HSMP.
If you are married, you need to complete partner details. Not necessary to send passport if partner is not British.
Char (CR001 not Casa)

saanju9
Member of Standing

Post by saanju9 » Sat Jan 02, 2016 5:18 pm

CR001 wrote:

Do I need to request something from HMRC (like a statement) and provide that with the AN Application? You can as HO will surely check you were not in breach of your student visa working more than 20 hours. You need to provide the information as accurate as possible.
I am sorry but I have to disagree with this statement that the HO will surely check that "if more than 20 hours worked while on student visa". Do you have any first hand evidence that they are exercising this check. My assumption is that they are checking for if the applicant has any history of tax evasion but nothing else

What date should I fill in this section as date of first arrival? 10/2004 or 02/2009 ? The question speaks for itself doesn't it? Date andof FIRST entry to the UK. It does not say first entry on work permit does it.

CR001
Mood:
South Africa

Post by CR001 » Sat Jan 02, 2016 5:26 pm

saanju9 wrote:
CR001 wrote:

I am sorry but I have to disagree with this statement that the HO will surely check that "if more than 20 hours worked while on student visa". Do you have any first hand evidence that they are exercising this check. My assumption is that they are checking for if the applicant has any history of tax evasion but nothing else

They check your full history, immigration and others, it is not just about tax evasion. There have been refusals due to people working more than they were allowed to. If you do not provide accurate details and they check, then you are 'deceiving' HO and with holding information. If you provide all the details and they check and you have worked more than allowed, you are in breach of your visa status. Whichever, it is a problem.
Char (CR001 not Casa)

saanju9
Member of Standing

Post by saanju9 » Sat Jan 02, 2016 5:33 pm

CR001 wrote: They check your full history, immigration and others, it is not just about tax evasion. There have been refusals due to people working more than they were allowed to. If you do not provide accurate details and they check, then you are 'deceiving' HO and with holding information. If you provide all the details and they check and you have worked more than allowed, you are in breach of your visa status. Whichever, it is a problem.
Ok.. but do you have any first hand evidence... can you put us to the post where you say people have been refused due to working more than 20 hours during their student visa..(Not any other visa) ... I am just after student visa...thanks

saanju9
Member of Standing

Post by saanju9 » Sat Jan 02, 2016 5:38 pm

rajvet wrote:
testfirst wrote:Dear Experts,

ceremony in another area you should give us details of the local [/b][/u][/i][/b]

Answer No

Question: I am currently an employee. Do I still need to fill this
Answer I think this is for self employed persons but recheck it
I have given my employers PAYE number (found on P60 and sometimes on Payslip)... I was told this by the lady who handled my application at the NCS

I would give both in this case

Answer yes

Kind Regards.

noajthan

Post by noajthan » Sat Jan 02, 2016 5:39 pm

saanju9 wrote:
CR001 wrote:

It's the applicant's responsibility to prove s/he meets the criteria for privilege of citizenship.
The applicant also has to vouch for & sign for the veracity & completeness of their application.

As my granny used to say: Nobody expects the Spanish Inquisition - but the inquisition is out there.

See HO guidance used in assessing whether someone meets the ''good character' test:
https://www.gov.uk/government/uploads/s ... _D_v02.pdf
- for example, see Section 9.7
All that is gold does not glitter; Not all those who wander are lost. E&OE.

noajthan

Post by noajthan » Sat Jan 02, 2016 5:46 pm

saanju9 wrote:
CR001 wrote: They check your full history, immigration and others, it is not just about tax evasion. There have been refusals due to people working more than they were allowed to. If you do not provide accurate details and they check, then you are 'deceiving' HO and with holding information. If you provide all the details and they check and you have worked more than allowed, you are in breach of your visa status. Whichever, it is a problem.
Ok.. but do you have any first hand evidence... can you put us to the post where you say people have been refused due to working more than 20 hours during their student visa..(Not any other visa) ... I am just after student visa...thanks
Read & weep...
http://www.immigrationboards.com/britis ... 20rejected

CR001
Mood:
South Africa

Post by CR001 » Sat Jan 02, 2016 5:51 pm

noajthan wrote:
saanju9 wrote:
Read & weep...
http://www.immigrationboards.com/britis ... 20rejected
Thanks noajthan, was also doing a search. There are of course other cases too if the posters cares to do a search or have a good indepth read of the good character requirement.
Char (CR001 not Casa)

saanju9
Member of Standing

Post by saanju9 » Sat Jan 02, 2016 6:02 pm

Yeah I followed that thread Noajthan... but the check (working more than 20hrs) wasn't done as a part of the Naturalisation application... It came to light because of the previous rejection ...
May be I should have been clearer in my question
is there a case where people got rejected due to
working 20 hrs while being on student visa during term time ... and this has been checked purely as a part of this naturalisation application...(without any prior issues with immigration applications)

noajthan

Post by noajthan » Sat Jan 02, 2016 6:03 pm

CR001 wrote:
Thanks noajthan, was also doing a search. There are of course other cases too if the posters cares to do a search or have a good indepth read of the good character requirement.
There are indeed ma'am.

It may be instructive to watch developments on this case too (even though it's still at a pre-citizenship stage):
http://www.immigrationboards.com/uk-tie ... 00234.html