ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Will different Road Tax on the car affect my application?

A section for posts relating to applications for Naturalisation or Registration as a British Citizen. Naturalisation

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe

azad
Newly Registered

Will different Road Tax on the car affect my application?

Post by azad » Mon Aug 30, 2010 7:57 pm

Hi
I am going to apply for naturalisation, I have got just one concern. On Feb. 2008 the police found out that my car, which was parked in front of garage, had Road Tax from another car on it. I was convicted and charged £100 fine in court. I pleaded guilty in first instance, as I was advised by solicitor.
I am really confused and not sure if it's going to affect my application for naturalisation. I have been in UK for 10 years with indefinite to leave with clean driving licence, held for 5 years.
Should I apply now, or wait? Or any other advice?
Please help me. Would appreciate any advice.
Last edited by azad on Thu May 12, 2011 10:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Backer
Member of Standing

Post by Backer » Mon Aug 30, 2010 9:07 pm

Have a look at the link:

http://www.ukba.homeoffice.gov.uk/sitec ... iew=Binary

You have to declare it on the application and I think it will be subject to discretion. The worst that can happen is that you loose your application fee. Another option would be to wait until 2013 when the conviction is spent.

azad
Newly Registered

thanks backer

Post by azad » Mon Aug 30, 2010 9:18 pm

thanks for your reply backer
I looked at the link you gave me before... but couldn't find anything about my situation!
i'm curious is it minor offence? I guess £100 is small fine, isn't it?

We will normally disregard a single conviction for a minor offence resulting in a bind over,
conditional discharge or relatively small fine or compensation order, if a person is suitable
for citizenship in all other respects. By “minor offencesâ€

Backer
Member of Standing

Post by Backer » Tue Aug 31, 2010 5:33 am

There are no instructions for your specific offence. This is why it will be up to the specific caseworker discretion. You are not without a chance but then again you might be refused.

As I said the worst that can happen when you declare your offence would be loosing the application fee and you can always apply again conviction is spent.

Kitty

Post by Kitty » Tue Aug 31, 2010 5:40 pm

I would be cautious that they might classify it as a "crime of dishonesty": even if apparently minor these are very unlikely to be overlooked. It's not the same as a speeding ticket.

John

Post by John » Tue Aug 31, 2010 5:48 pm

azad, can you explain how the wrong tax disc came to be on your car?
John

azad
Newly Registered

Post by azad » Tue Aug 31, 2010 7:06 pm

See John, I bought two damaged cars on Northern Salvage Auction and took them to my friend's garage to be fixed. When one of the car was ready, they drove it out and parked in front of garage. In the early morning the area has been checked by Immigration and police regarding illegal workers. All the garages were checked. In my friend's garage they didn't find anything illegal except Road Tax on my car, which actually belonged to other vehicle parked with unlicensed cars. Officers asked me what I was doing there and I just said that I have cars there to be fixed. I didn't know that Road Tax on my car was wrong, it came like that from the auction. And then police told me that I will be charged for keeping unlicensed vehicle on the road. After couple of months I got letter that my case will be considered by court. I was advised by my solicitor to plead guilty in first instance, he claimed that I will be charged either by dvla or by court, so actually there's no difference. I did, as I was advised and they charged me £100 fine. When I got the letter from police I saw my case was classified as Vehicle Exise Registration Act 1994 Section (44).(1)
That is the story.
Last edited by azad on Thu May 12, 2011 10:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.

sharat

Re: Will different Road Tax on the car affect my application

Post by sharat » Wed Sep 01, 2010 10:36 pm

azad wrote:Hi
I am going to apply for naturalisation, I have got just one concern. On Feb. 2008 the police found out that my car, which was parked in front of garage, had Road Tax from another car on it. I was convicted and charged £100 fine in court. I played guilty in first instance, as I was advised by solicitor.
I am really confused and not sure if it's going to affect my application for naturalisation. I have been in UK for 10 years with indefinite to leave with clean driving licence, held for 5 years.
Should I apply now, or wait? Or any other advice?
Please help me. Would appreciate any advice.
Was a notice served by the police prior to conviction?. If yes, what was the charge/code in that. As rightly mentioned by someone, If you are convicted you have to declare it in the application.

azad
Newly Registered

Post by azad » Wed Sep 01, 2010 11:02 pm

hi sharat
i was convicted by
Vehicle Exise Registration Act 1994 Section (44).(1) .. £100 fined...
but i don't know is it minor offence? or it's small fine ? :(
Last edited by azad on Thu Sep 02, 2010 9:05 am, edited 2 times in total.

chunkybeefsoup

Post by chunkybeefsoup » Thu Sep 02, 2010 4:06 am

I know someone else who got done for the same thing. If it was just a case of the tax disc expiring then it is minor but if you have used it on another vehicle this person in question also got done for deception - 2 charges.

Backer
Member of Standing

Post by Backer » Thu Sep 02, 2010 2:45 pm

Azad, You are wasting your time. No one will be able to provide you with certainty either way. It will be up to the specific caseworker.

If you disclose your offence (as you should) the worst you face is loosing your application fee. Otherwise, wait for 5 years when the fine/conviction gets spent.

geriatrix

Post by geriatrix » Thu Sep 02, 2010 3:56 pm

Wondering if size 18 font helps make the offence any smaller? Or is it an attempt to seek attention? :?

Agree with Backer.

regards

azad
Newly Registered

Post by azad » Thu Sep 02, 2010 6:55 pm

Backer thanks for reply.
I'm not sure 100% if this offence will affect my application, that's why I posted topic in here, hoping that someone had similar situation and could advise me. Anyway I have appointment with solicitor on Wednesday so then I will make my decision based on his advice.

John

Post by John » Thu Sep 02, 2010 9:09 pm

I'm not sure 100% if this offence will affect my application
I think that is the wrong way to look at this matter. It would be far better to say "I'm cannot be sure that this offence will not affect my application".

Clearly the safest action is not to apply for Naturalisation until the conviction is "spent" ... 5 years after the date of conviction.
John

azad
Newly Registered

Post by azad » Thu Sep 02, 2010 9:27 pm

Thanks John, anyway I'm gonna speak with solicitor and if he says I have any chances, then I will try :) if not - then I will have to try again on 2013 :?

mumtos
Newly Registered

Post by mumtos » Thu Sep 02, 2010 10:50 pm

hi azad....can you tell what happened now?

I mean wat did the solicitor say and what have yiu decided???

Please keep us updated

Thanks..

azad
Newly Registered

Post by azad » Fri Sep 03, 2010 11:48 pm

hi mumtos, I have appointment with my solicitor on Wednesday, then obviously I will keep you update :)

azad
Newly Registered

Post by azad » Thu Sep 09, 2010 12:28 pm

so I was in solicitor yesterday, and he agreed to go with the application, even he said it is very likely it will be rejected. But with the reference of character from my concierge, gp reference, letter from charity etc still we can have some chances to get the citizenship. So I will keep you updated, cause I'm planning to send my application in following days.

azad
Newly Registered

Post by azad » Thu Sep 16, 2010 10:10 pm

I posted today my application for citizenship through solicitor. I attached some papers which can make my case stronger, like letter from police who thanks me for bringing back lost purse, working with charity for 7 years, reference of character etc.
Hopefully it will be accepted, will keep you updated as soon as will get any news ;) fingers crossed :)

mumtos
Newly Registered

Post by mumtos » Mon Oct 18, 2010 4:07 pm

did u get any reply??????i mean u must have got the acknowlegement letter but any decision?????
plz upadte...thanks

azad
Newly Registered

Post by azad » Tue Oct 19, 2010 10:08 pm

hi mumtos
i have send my application for citizenship through solicitor on 27/09/2010
Date of debit of debit/credit card on 05/10/2010
Date of receipt of acknowledgement: 11/10/2010
thats all im still waiting :(

avjones
Diamond Member

Post by avjones » Wed Oct 20, 2010 9:14 pm

azad wrote:hi sharat
i was convicted by
Vehicle Exise Registration Act 1994 Section (44).(1) .. £100 fined...
but i don't know is it minor offence? or it's small fine ? :(
Your problem is that this is a dishonesty offence, as s.44 provides:

(1)A person is guilty of an offence if he forges, fraudulently alters, fraudulently uses, fraudulently lends or fraudulently allows to be used by another person anything to which subsection (2) applies.

The guidance says:

Caseworkers should not normally disregard any unspent conviction that falls into the following categories irrespective of the severity of the sentence imposed:

a. Offences involving dishonesty (e.g. theft, fraud)

So I reckon you're most likely to be refused until the conviction's spent.
I am not, and cannot, offer legal advice to particular people. I can only discuss general areas of immigration law.

People should always consider obtaining professional advice about their own particular circumstances.

azad
Newly Registered

Post by azad » Thu Oct 21, 2010 8:23 pm

but still there's chance to get do I rely on this chance; I described properly my offence and attached some documents which should make my application stronger, yet still I'm waiting for the decision, will keep you updated.

avjones
Diamond Member

Post by avjones » Fri Oct 22, 2010 1:36 am

Best of luck.
I am not, and cannot, offer legal advice to particular people. I can only discuss general areas of immigration law.

People should always consider obtaining professional advice about their own particular circumstances.

mumtos
Newly Registered

Post by mumtos » Tue Nov 02, 2010 8:51 pm

any luck???????