ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

british passport for my son

A section for posts relating to applications for Naturalisation or Registration as a British Citizen. Naturalisation

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe

maittm

Post by maittm » Sat Nov 19, 2011 4:32 pm

hi
have a son with my boyfriend who has ILR, and planning to apply for British citizenship in December. I do not have valid leave to remain in the UK
My question is, can I apply for a British passport for me son through his father
Your advice would be very much appreciated.

Lucapooka
Respected Guru

Post by Lucapooka » Sat Nov 19, 2011 4:39 pm

No, you would have to register the child as British first, and then apply for the passport.

troubled

Post by troubled » Sat Nov 19, 2011 4:46 pm

Lucapooka wrote:No, you would have to register the child as British first, and then apply for the passport.
It is never true that the child has to be registered before he qualifies for british passport.If the father has ILR before the child was born then he is british by birth.One parent needs to have ILR or being a british for the child to qualify for british passport,in this case the father has ILR so the child qualifies without any need for registration.

geriatrix

Post by geriatrix » Sat Nov 19, 2011 7:48 pm

Lucapooka wrote:No, you would have to register the child as British first, and then apply for the passport.
troubled wrote:in this case the father has ILR so the child qualifies without any need for registration.
To know which of the two responses above applies to the child, the OP needs to confirm whether the child was born before the father was granted settlement or after.
Also, is the father named on the child's birth certificate?
Life isn't fair, but you can be!

maittm

Post by maittm » Sun Nov 20, 2011 11:36 am

My sons father got ILR before my son was born, and yes his name is on the birth certificate. Can the father still apply for registration even is if I dont have valid leave to remain

Greenie
Respected Guru

Post by Greenie » Sun Nov 20, 2011 11:48 am

maittm wrote:My sons father got ILR before my son was born, and yes his name is on the birth certificate. Can the father still apply for registration even is if I dont have valid leave to remain
If your child's father had ILR before the child was born in the UK then the child is British by birth and does not need to register.

boloney

Post by boloney » Sun Nov 20, 2011 5:38 pm

maittm wrote:My sons father got ILR before my son was born, and yes his name is on the birth certificate. Can the father still apply for registration even is if I dont have valid leave to remain
Father can apply for his British passport, maybe little bit tricky if you apply for it providing fathers passport with his ILR.

maittm

Post by maittm » Sun Nov 20, 2011 5:54 pm

thank u all. will let you know when its done

maittm

Post by maittm » Thu Jan 12, 2012 12:38 pm

hi all
My son got his passport today, very happy
thank you for your advice